Roll Call - Games - December 21

  • Pardoe, Richard (RPardoe)
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2005
      Roll Call - Games - December 21

      Dave - sorry to hear about the cold and hope you recover quickly.

      Sheryl - last week you had hoped to attend this week.  Are you still planning to do so?  If so, we still have 3 for tonight.

      Anyone else planning to attend?  Would like to get a firmer head count if possible.

      - Rich

      PS - Friday is still open for gaming if anyone is in town and feeling up to it.  Please let me know if you are thinking of attending to Friday in addition / instead of tonight.

    • Sam A.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2005
        Rich,
        There is a good chance I can make the Friday games.

        -Sam

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 25, 2005
          Just wanted to remind folks that I will be happy to host games this
          Wednesday (Dec 28) at my house for all those interested.

          As I mentioned last week - while we have been bringing new games to the
          table, I certainly wouldn't mind playing a game all (most?) of us know -
          Ticket to Ride, Bohnanza, Carcassone, etc if that is the consensus of the
          group. Anyone have any games they would like to suggest?

          Would like to get a rough head count - who is available for Wednesday?

          Rich

          My Collection: http://tinyurl.com/dulzv

          Recent additions (ie BGG Secret Santa gift received):
          Carcassonne: Traders & Builders
          Carcassonne: Princess & Dragon
          Carcassonne: River II
          Carcassonne: Count of Carcassonne
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
            --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe"
            <RPardoe@p...> wrote:

            > Would like to get a rough head count - who is available for Wednesday?

            *raises his hand*
            "One."

            See you there.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 28, 2005
              A quiet evening as only Dave managed to show up bringing with him his copy
              of Merchant of Venus. So that is the game we decided to play just to try it
              out with 2 players. We had last played the game on April 29, 2004 - so
              refer folks to that post (Yahoo Archives:
              Entry
              :http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthread&articleid=587
              81) for details on the game itself. Basically, this is a pick-up and
              deliver game where players operate space ships trying to increase their
              initial cash of 40 to the game winning total of 2000.

              Rich started first and headed towards Colony World, while Dave went to the
              Interstellar Biosphere to discover the Zum (Culture 7A) and managed to load
              Chicle Liquor on this transport vessel. Richard finally arrived at the
              Colony World to discover the Graw (Culture 2). Dave headed over to the
              Cloud and found the Yxklyx (Culture 6) who pleasant as they were, were not
              in the market for Chicle Liquor. Dave continued exploring the interstellar
              void finding the Eepeep (Culture 7B) and then peeking at Waterworld, finally
              headed to the Inhabited Moon to find Cholus (Culture 9A) to sell the Chicle
              Liquor. Dave then combined the proceeds of this sale, the IOU for
              discovering the Cholus and all his cash on hand to by a spaceport at minion.
              Dave's strategy was seen the next turn when he then moved to the spaceport
              to sell his remaining chicle liquor which also garnered him the commission
              on the sale, so a 10% bonus for Dave.

              Rich had also managed to uncover a few cultures and finally sold space spice
              to the Niks at the Giant Plant, but could only afford to buy a shield for
              his ship. Rich then headed over to Jungle World and stayed a few turns to
              stock up on Melf Pelts. Rich sold the Melf Pelts and used the proceeds to
              buy a Clipper hoping to move a bit faster around the stars. While the
              clipper did keep Rich in the game, Dave was the first to upgrade to a
              transport and the faster combined drive enabling Dave to carry more and move
              faster throughout the stars. At that point, it was catch-up for Rich.

              Several trends could be seen in the game at this point. With fewer players,
              the game plays a lot more like solitaire as we rarely competed for the same
              goods and sales ports. Also, there was no need to use another players
              spaceport most of the time. So the game very much had a feel like solitaire
              as the interaction was minimal.

              Also, Dave's experience with the game was quite evident. He made a couple
              of nice small trades to build up cash which was invested into spaceports.
              The spaceports were key as the 10% commission earned on sales was a nice
              accelerator to Dave's cash flow. Rich was a bit slow to adopt the spaceport
              options making sales directly at the surface cities. Also, several turns,
              Rich appeared to be "doing nothing" in that he waited for something better
              or a chance to load more goods. While the second option might not be bad,
              it is the first that is probably critical. This game rewards maximizing the
              benefit from every turn (or couple of turns). Doggedly sticking to a plan
              probably costs more than it gains in most cases. One must be prepared to
              shift plans and optimize well.

              In the end, Dave easily had $2163 to Rich's $863. Boy, looking at the
              scores from last time - pretty similar. A bit better for Dave and a bit
              worse for Rich. It was Dave that managed to accelerate his income the best
              and capture the win.

              Until next week,

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
                <RPardoe@p...> wrote:

                > A quiet evening as only Dave managed to show up bringing with him
                his copy
                > of Merchant of Venus. So that is the game we decided to play just
                to try it
                > out with 2 players.

                I thought I might try interspersing my commentary as well, just to see
                what comes of it. :-)

                > We had last played the game on April 29, 2004 - so
                > refer folks to that post (Yahoo Archives:
                > Entry

                :http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthread&articleid=587
                > 81) for details on the game itself. Basically, this is a pick-up and
                > deliver game where players operate space ships trying to increase their
                > initial cash of 40 to the game winning total of 2000.
                >
                > Rich started first and headed towards Colony World, while Dave went
                to the
                > Interstellar Biosphere to discover the Zum (Culture 7A) and managed
                to load
                > Chicle Liquor on this transport vessel.

                I loaded both holds with the stuff, and then spent some time searching
                for someone who'd buy them. I was worried this would set me back some.

                > Richard finally
                arrived at the
                > Colony World to discover the Graw (Culture 2). Dave headed over to the
                > Cloud and found the Yxklyx (Culture 6) who pleasant as they were,
                were not
                > in the market for Chicle Liquor. Dave continued exploring the
                interstellar
                > void finding the Eepeep (Culture 7B) and then peeking at Waterworld,
                finally
                > headed to the Inhabited Moon to find Cholus (Culture 9A) to sell the
                Chicle
                > Liquor. Dave then combined the proceeds of this sale, the IOU for
                > discovering the Cholus and all his cash on hand to by a spaceport at
                minion.
                > Dave's strategy was seen the next turn when he then moved to the
                spaceport
                > to sell his remaining chicle liquor which also garnered him the
                commission
                > on the sale, so a 10% bonus for Dave.

                I do think that this is a pretty important tactic in the game. Rarely
                is buying a spaceport a bad thing from an investment perspective, and
                the 10% commissions really can add up, if you can visit the spaceport
                often (and I ended up visiting this one three or four times in the
                game). The only real concern when considering buying one is cash
                flow. I really spent down my cash on hand (at one point having
                (*nothing*), which could really slow one down when hitting the penalty
                ovals. Thankfully, my next routes didn't have any of those.

                > Rich had also managed to uncover a few cultures and finally sold
                space spice
                > to the Niks at the Giant Plant, but could only afford to buy a
                shield for
                > his ship. Rich then headed over to Jungle World and stayed a few
                turns to
                > stock up on Melf Pelts. Rich sold the Melf Pelts and used the
                proceeds to
                > buy a Clipper hoping to move a bit faster around the stars. While the
                > clipper did keep Rich in the game, Dave was the first to upgrade to a
                > transport and the faster combined drive enabling Dave to carry more
                and move
                > faster throughout the stars. At that point, it was catch-up for Rich.

                I'll agree that the transport was a good move, as at first it let me
                ship three goods, and then when I got the drive I was able to still
                ship two goods (like the scout) but pretty darned fast.

                > Several trends could be seen in the game at this point. With fewer
                players,
                > the game plays a lot more like solitaire as we rarely competed for
                the same
                > goods and sales ports. Also, there was no need to use another players
                > spaceport most of the time. So the game very much had a feel like
                solitaire
                > as the interaction was minimal.

                I think that the demand cup didn't play as much of a factor in this
                game as it would with more people. The game needs people competing
                for goods, and with more people more of them would be bought and sold,
                taking them out of circulation for a while. That never really
                happened here. The couple times goods were sold out (immortal grease
                and rock videos, IIRC), they reappeared pretty quickly (luck of the
                draw). But I do recall that any player after the third might have a
                disadvantage at the game's start due to the proximity of three
                cultures to the Galactic Base (starting point), meaning the fourth
                player would have to travel farther/take longer to get that first IOU.
                I'm not sure how that'd work out.

                > Also, Dave's experience with the game was quite evident. He made a
                couple
                > of nice small trades to build up cash which was invested into
                spaceports.
                > The spaceports were key as the 10% commission earned on sales was a nice
                > accelerator to Dave's cash flow.

                I also was the first to build factories, which provide a good with
                better payoff from the culture (and usually at a lower purchase price,
                too). Combining the two activities (building the factory and buying
                the factory good at my spaceport) was a double bonus.

                > Rich was a bit slow to adopt
                the spaceport
                > options making sales directly at the surface cities. Also, several
                turns,
                > Rich appeared to be "doing nothing" in that he waited for something
                better
                > or a chance to load more goods. While the second option might not
                be bad,
                > it is the first that is probably critical. This game rewards
                maximizing the
                > benefit from every turn (or couple of turns). Doggedly sticking to
                a plan
                > probably costs more than it gains in most cases. One must be
                prepared to
                > shift plans and optimize well.
                >
                > In the end, Dave easily had $2163 to Rich's $863. Boy, looking at the
                > scores from last time - pretty similar. A bit better for Dave and a bit
                > worse for Rich. It was Dave that managed to accelerate his income
                the best
                > and capture the win.

                I think this illustrates the problem of having 14 months between plays
                of this game. It's hard to remember what to try to improve upon for
                that long of a time, especially if many different games get played in
                between.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
                  Thanks Dave - good comments that I will incorporate when I upload to the
                  geek. As well as a few more I may think of when I get to that later today.
                  But first - time to take the girls to the movies....

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/grQolB/TM