Cafe Racer TBS for sale in UK

  • Pete Twissell
    Message 1 of 28 , May 17, 2005
      All,

      I am putting my modified '97 TBS up for sale. There are a couple of
      pictures in the gallery (Pete's 97 TBS).

      I am looking to replace the TBS with a Thruxton. Does anyone have any
      dire warnings or horror stories relating to the Thruxton that I
      should know about?

      Pete.
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 28 , May 17, 2005
        Incredible! Why would anyone want to come down like that? For a
        Speed Triple, I could understand....

        Regards

        Alec

        Message 3 of 28 , May 17, 2005
          Not that I should have to justify my decision, but:

          My TBS is modified for single seat only (shortened subframe) and I now need to be able to carry my son on the pillion.

          I was never a big speed fan, the TBS just evolved that way and I went along with it.

          I like the look of the Thruxton, and the torque and sound of the big twin.

          Before any of the americans on the group suggest it, I am aware that a harley might fit the bill, but I just can't put up with all the B.S. that comes with that brand.

          Pete.

          Incredible! Why would anyone want to come down like that? For a Speed Triple, I could understand....

          Regards

          Alec

          > I am looking to replace the TBS with a Thruxton.

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/zliolB/TM
        • chris griffin
          Message 4 of 28 , May 17, 2005
            <Before any of the americans on the group suggest it>

            This American would never suggest a harley (unless it was this interesting take on the big v-twin: http://www.americancaferacers.com/)

          • chris griffin
            Message 5 of 28 , May 17, 2005
              That link came through screwy...
              http://www.americancaferacers.com/

              chris griffin <grificonius@...> wrote:<Before any of the americans on the group suggest it>

              This American would never suggest a harley (unless it was this interesting take on the big v-twin: http://www.americancaferacers.com/)

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 28 , May 17, 2005
                > This American would never suggest a harley (unless it was this
                interesting take on the
                big v-twin: http://www.americancaferacers.com/)

                That is nice, very nice and I'm not even a cafe racer fan.
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 28 , May 17, 2005
                  Dire warnings - Verticle Twin - 70 Crank HP - 59 to the rear wheel.

                  Plus, I hate the leaned forward riding position

                  Howeever, everyone I know that has one loves them and has nothing but
                  good things to say about them.

                  And, for the power issue -

                  http://www.southbaytriumph.com/thruxton-performance2.html

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Twissell"
                  <PTwissell@m...> wrote:
                  > All,
                  >
                  > I am putting my modified '97 TBS up for sale. There are a couple of
                  > pictures in the gallery (Pete's 97 TBS).
                  >
                  > I am looking to replace the TBS with a Thruxton. Does anyone have any
                  > dire warnings or horror stories relating to the Thruxton that I
                  > should know about?
                  >
                  > Pete.
                • Richard Fenner
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 17, 2005
                    Pete - quite right, too!

                    I talked an English mate of mine (one of the original Ace Cafe 50 Club and a
                    Harley rider for many years here in Canada) into selling one of his Harleys
                    and replacing it with a Thruxton last year. He's been wearing a sh*t-eating
                    grin ever since, and has to remind himself to take the remaining Harley out
                    for the occasional exercise!

                    He's one of the front-runners in our RAT Pack, keeps up very well with my
                    TBS, and now that he's put off-road pipes and a jet kit into it, the bike
                    sounds great and has some more grunt. It also makes me realise just how big
                    and bulky my TBS seems after riding it - but then, so am I! ;>)

                    (Not that I'm selling my TBS anytime soon, God willing and the the
                    temptation of a new Sprint ST notwithstanding. They only brought about 100
                    into Canada over the whole production run, so it's becoming sought-after
                    already.)

                    May you have at least as much fun out of the Thruxton as Chris is having.

                    Enjoy!!

                    Richard.
                    98 TBS
                    Vancouver, Canada.

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 17, 2005
                      Let's see.......

                      Cute though that is, it costs FOUR TIMES what a new Speed Triple costs, has
                      less peak HP and weighs 100lb more. Also has no preload adjustment on the
                      fork, a swingarm that looks like one burst of the 125ft/lbs of torque would
                      turn it into a pretzel, and no real tach.

                      Now let me think........;>)

                      No, I think I'll have a new MV Agusta 1000S, a new Sprint ST with hard bags
                      and the GPS system, and 20 or so cases of fine wine and good single malt
                      Scotch instead.

                      Only an American would spend US$40K plus on something like that..........

                      RF

                      Message 10 of 28 , May 17, 2005
                        Fair enough, I wasn't writing any checks to Mike at the moment either. But as v-twin customs go, I was impressed by the package. Meanwhile, lets not completely dismiss the cute 125ft/lbs of torque vs. 78 for getting things done early in the RPMs.

                        Now what do you do with the extra 79lbs of weight?? I guess you pack less fine wine in the hard bags (you don't have) for that absurd 40k price. Maybe I'm just foolishly in love with that damn manx tank?

                        I guess I'll stick with my beloved 'Bird. Thanks for straightening me out Rich! :>)

                        PS: good bet with the single malt et al. Thats when I knew I was beat.

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 18, 2005
                          > Does anyone have any dire warnings...

                          Only that, should we ever end up riding together, I *will* be passing
                          you. Been there, done that. :) Enjoy the new bike.
                        • Richard Fenner
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 18, 2005
                            Chacun a son gout, Chris.

                            I must admit I liked the looks, too, but I'm old enough to remember what a
                            real Manx looks like - and a mate of mine has one!

                            I guess I can't see myself sitting in the garage at 3 in the morning just
                            revelling in the looks of the thing, whereas that's exactly what I'd do with
                            the MV. Talk about lust objects!

                            You proved beyond doubt you're a man of fine taste with the single malt
                            comment anyway - not to mention your TBS!

                            So what's your favourite dram?

                            Slainte!

                            Richard.

                            > Fair enough, I wasn't writing any checks to Mike at the moment either. But
                            > as v-twin customs go, I was impressed by the package. Meanwhile, lets not
                            > completely dismiss the cute 125ft/lbs of torque vs. 78 for getting things
                            > done early in the RPMs.
                            >
                            > Now what do you do with the extra 79lbs of weight?? I guess you pack less
                            > fine wine in the hard bags (you don't have) for that absurd 40k price.
                            > Maybe I'm just foolishly in love with that damn manx tank?
                            >
                            > I guess I'll stick with my beloved 'Bird. Thanks for straightening me out
                            > Rich! :>)
                            >
                            > PS: good bet with the single malt et al. Thats when I knew I was beat.
                            >

                            > Richard Fenner <rfenner@...> wrote:
                            > Let's see.......
                            >
                            > Cute though that is, it costs FOUR TIMES what a new Speed Triple costs,
                            > has
                            > less peak HP and weighs 100lb more. Also has no preload adjustment on the
                            > fork, a swingarm that looks like one burst of the 125ft/lbs of torque
                            > would
                            > turn it into a pretzel, and no real tach.
                            >
                            > Now let me think........;>)
                            >
                            > No, I think I'll have a new MV Agusta 1000S, a new Sprint ST with hard
                            > bags
                            > and the GPS system, and 20 or so cases of fine wine and good single malt
                            > Scotch instead.
                            >
                            > Only an American would spend US$40K plus on something like that..........
                            >
                            > RF

                          • chris griffin

                              > Fair enough, I wasn't writing any checks to Mike at the moment either. But
                              > as v-twin customs go, I was impressed by the package. Meanwhile, lets not
                              > completely dismiss the cute 125ft/lbs of torque vs. 78 for getting things
                              > done early in the RPMs.
                              >
                              > Now what do you do with the extra 79lbs of weight?? I guess you pack less
                              > fine wine in the hard bags (you don't have) for that absurd 40k price.
                              > Maybe I'm just foolishly in love with that damn manx tank?
                              >
                              > I guess I'll stick with my beloved 'Bird. Thanks for straightening me out
                              > Rich! :>)
                              >
                              > PS: good bet with the single malt et al. Thats when I knew I was beat.
                              >

                              > Richard Fenner <rfenner@...> wrote:
                              > Let's see.......
                              >
                              > Cute though that is, it costs FOUR TIMES what a new Speed Triple costs,
                              > has
                              > less peak HP and weighs 100lb more. Also has no preload adjustment on the
                              > fork, a swingarm that looks like one burst of the 125ft/lbs of torque
                              > would
                              > turn it into a pretzel, and no real tach.
                              >
                              > Now let me think........;>)
                              >
                              > No, I think I'll have a new MV Agusta 1000S, a new Sprint ST with hard
                              > bags
                              > and the GPS system, and 20 or so cases of fine wine and good single malt
                              > Scotch instead.
                              >
                              > Only an American would spend US$40K plus on something like that..........
                              >
                              > RF

                            • Pete Twissell
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 18, 2005
                                Perhaps not much constructive discussion, but plenty of comical banter.
                                I've pretty much decided the Thruxton is the bike for me. I've got a test ride booked on Saturday.

                                Pete.

                              • britboy1970@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 19, 2005
                                  you hit the nail squarely on the head with that statement.
                                  bright regards, rich

                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 19, 2005
                                    if you want a cafe racer, build one.
                                    pick your bike and start choppin', tanks, etc. are readily available.
                                    the bike will be personalized for you, and you won't have to pay some stupidly excessive price to ride someone's idea of what they think you want.
                                    bright regards, rich

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 19, 2005
                                      <if you want a cafe racer, build one.>

                                      I did build one: http://www.griffineye.com/tbird/

                                      Not a total chop, but I like it for now until my garage is finished and I can begin a true custom project. I was really just trying to share something cool I'd come across with you guys, not suggest everyone must have the ACR bike. -grif

                                    • Richard Fenner
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 19, 2005
                                        That is still the coollest TBS I've seen, Chris.

                                        What bars did you use?

                                        Richard.

                                      • britboy1970@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 19, 2005
                                          THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT.........
                                          BAD ASS MATE.
                                          CHEERS, RICH

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 19, 2005
                                            Bars: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/clipon.cfm reasonably priced and good quality--had to shim the turn stops a bit to get the pullback I wanted without the tank-slap that I didn't ;)

                                            Glad you guys like the bike--I'm relatively new to bikes in general (4 years and 40k miles) but always had a bent for the spartan looks and performance of a brit cafe racer. Most of my mechanical experience is from 60's american cars, so the motorcycle has been a very enlightening challenge--so much more interesting.

                                            PS. I really enjoy the good humored razzing of of my infatuation with the ACR. I like the grit in this group!

                                            -grif

                                            Richard Fenner <rfenner@...> wrote:
                                            That is still the coollest TBS I've seen, Chris.

                                            What bars did you use?

                                            Richard.

                                          • AL Doucet
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 20, 2005
                                              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, chris griffin
                                              <grificonius@y...> wrote:

                                              > <if you want a cafe racer, build one.>
                                              >
                                              > I did build one: http://www.griffineye.com/tbird/

                                              Nice Pics - Thanks, it gives an idea on a starting place.

                                              Thanks,

                                              AL
                                            • chris griffin
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 20, 2005
                                                Thanks Al, I'm actually good friends with Kevin (the mechanic at Greatbay with the Guinness equipped TBS you like) Have you settled on a TBS yet? We should catch up and go for a run down rte 1A at some point.

                                                AL Doucet <adoucet@...> wrote:--- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, chris griffin
                                                <grificonius@y...> wrote:

                                                > <if you want a cafe racer, build one.>
                                                >
                                                > I did build one: http://www.griffineye.com/tbird/

                                                Nice Pics - Thanks, it gives an idea on a starting place.

                                                Thanks,

                                                AL

                                              • Norman
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 23, 2005
                                                  Chris,
                                                  Really cool looking bike, the best T'Bird cafe conversion I've seen
                                                  yet. I notice no windscreen or flyscreen though. Being so leaned over
                                                  due to the clip-ons, does that help you not feel so much wind blast at
                                                  higher speeds than the more sit up position of the stock TBS? I've
                                                  added lower bars and TBS rearsets to my std T'Bird and I have a
                                                  smallish flyscreen, but highway high speeds still really wear on me.
                                                  Please let me know as maybe I need even lower bars to make it more
                                                  comfortable at higher speeds. Thanks for the input.
                                                  Norman C.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 23, 2005
                                                    The clipons do put you into a more forward lean making it less effort to fight the bobbing-head-in-the-wind effect. I have the Triumph flyscreen and that does even more, but not so much that I keep it on (my personal taste likes the bike without it). Oddly enough I noticed an improvement when I upgraded to an Arai helmet. I'm usually 75-90 mph on the highway, which does get tiring after an hour or 3.

                                                    With the clipons I find that I need only scoot all the way back in the solo seat and I'm close to hugging the tank if I want to cheat the wind as such--with the flyscreen in that scenario its almost nullified. But unless your pulling the ton-up it just feels odd.

                                                    Also, for long trips I usually have a tank bag on and you can just about rest your head right on it--which cuts a lot of the chest-blast. To be honest I like some wind exposure, it keeps me in check a little bit with the law around here.

                                                    Lastly, before going to clipons I was running stock TBS bars--flipped upside down--which gave me a very similar bar position relative to the tank, but didn't allow for the dropping of the forks like the clipons do, which in my opinion improved the handling ;)

                                                    Thanks for the compliment Norman! -grif

                                                    <grificonius@y...> wrote:

                                                    > <if you want a cafe racer, build one.>
                                                    >
                                                    > I did build one: http://www.griffineye.com/tbird/

                                                  • macboots
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 24, 2005
                                                      Chris -

                                                      Nice bike!

                                                      I've been thinking of pulling off my rear fender as well... what
                                                      brake/turn light kit did you use?

                                                      - Will

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 25, 2005
                                                        No kit per se. But the taillight and indicators are just items from Drag Specialties. the bracket I made from 1" aluminum strap that wraps around the rear of the frame. Also used a truck mudflap from Pepboys to form an inner fender underneath.

                                                        macboots <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Chris -

                                                        <grificonius@y...> wrote:

                                                        > <if you want a cafe racer, build one.>
                                                        >
                                                        > I did build one: http://www.griffineye.com/tbird/

                                                      • jaben03tbs
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jun 30, 2006
                                                          Where did you get the Triumph oval plate on the cowl???

                                                          <grificonius@...> wrote:

                                                          > No kit per se. But the taillight and indicators are just items
                                                          from Drag Specialties. the bracket I made from 1" aluminum strap
                                                          that wraps around the rear of the frame. Also used a truck mudflap
                                                          from Pepboys to form an inner fender underneath.

                                                          > macboots <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Chris -
                                                          >
                                                          > Nice bike!
                                                          >
                                                          > I've been thinking of pulling off my rear fender as well... what
                                                          > brake/turn light kit did you use?
                                                          >
                                                          > - Will
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, chris griffin
                                                          > <grificonius@y...> wrote: