Re: Faulty Coil Diagnosis

  • Pete Twissell
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
      You are absolutely right. My point, however, was that the 'cold pipe'
      diagnosis is very quick, and does not involve disturbing the HT
      leads. It is almost inevitable with any intermittant fault that as
      soon as you touch the suspect part, it will function perfectly.
      Owners of Meriden Triumphs will be aware of one of the unique
      qualities of Lucas components, in that they were able to detect the
      presence of a test meter and would work fine until you got about five
      miles from home.

      Pete.

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, reverendskirt
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Pete, my point was that relative to the functional coils that
      faulty one will look
      > different. Whether it looks fouled or just washed in petrol
      (gasoline to those of us who pay
      > less for it :D ) isn't necessarily relevant to diagnosing the bad
      coil.

      > To put it in song-form:
      > One of these plugs is not like the other, one of the plugs has a
      bad coil.

      > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Pete
      Twissell"

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
        > Owners of Meriden Triumphs will be aware
        > of one of the unique qualities of Lucas
        > components, in that they were able to detect
        > the presence of a test meter and would work
        > fine until you got about five miles from home.

        LOL isn't that the truth! First thing I used to rip off my Bultacos
        and throw away was that miserable Lucas Zener diode.
      • Scot
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
          Haha.. just changed one of those on a Metralla a couple of months
          ago...

          Scot

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes >
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
            > Haha.. just changed one of those on a Metralla a couple of months
            > ago...
            >
            > Scot
            >
            > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes >
            > LOL isn't that the truth! First thing I used to rip off my Bultacos
            > > and throw away was that miserable Lucas Zener diode.

            New, improved, reliable Bultaco lighting.

            1) Remove Lucas diode and wiring thereto. Spindle, mutilate, and burn.
            2) Install 12V dual hi/lo sealed beam headlight (drops right in).
            3) Install GE 1157 in taillight.
            4) Never have to look at another Lucas product again.

            Of course, the usual Bultaco electrical caveats still apply: if you
            step on the rear brake and the bike dies then A) your brakelight is
            burned out and B) so is the resistor under the seat. :O)