Re: Faulty Coil Diagnosis

  • reverendskirt
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
      Pete, my point was that relative to the functional coils that faulty one will look
      different. Whether it looks fouled or just washed in petrol (gasoline to those of us who pay
      less for it :D ) isn't necessarily relevant to diagnosing the bad coil.

      To put it in song-form:
      One of these plugs is not like the other, one of the plugs has a bad coil.

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Twissell"
      <PTwissell@m...> wrote:

      > I'd suggest that the non-firing plug will simply be washed with
      > petrol at each stroke. An intermittantly firing plug may exhibit
      > fouling.
    • Pete Twissell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
        You are absolutely right. My point, however, was that the 'cold pipe'
        diagnosis is very quick, and does not involve disturbing the HT
        leads. It is almost inevitable with any intermittant fault that as
        soon as you touch the suspect part, it will function perfectly.
        Owners of Meriden Triumphs will be aware of one of the unique
        qualities of Lucas components, in that they were able to detect the
        presence of a test meter and would work fine until you got about five
        miles from home.

        Pete.

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, reverendskirt

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
          > Owners of Meriden Triumphs will be aware
          > of one of the unique qualities of Lucas
          > components, in that they were able to detect
          > the presence of a test meter and would work
          > fine until you got about five miles from home.

          LOL isn't that the truth! First thing I used to rip off my Bultacos
          and throw away was that miserable Lucas Zener diode.
        • Scot
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2004
            Haha.. just changed one of those on a Metralla a couple of months
            ago...

            Scot

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes >
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
              > Haha.. just changed one of those on a Metralla a couple of months
              > ago...
              >
              > Scot
              >
              > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes >
              > LOL isn't that the truth! First thing I used to rip off my Bultacos
              > > and throw away was that miserable Lucas Zener diode.

              New, improved, reliable Bultaco lighting.

              1) Remove Lucas diode and wiring thereto. Spindle, mutilate, and burn.
              2) Install 12V dual hi/lo sealed beam headlight (drops right in).
              3) Install GE 1157 in taillight.
              4) Never have to look at another Lucas product again.

              Of course, the usual Bultaco electrical caveats still apply: if you
              step on the rear brake and the bike dies then A) your brakelight is
              burned out and B) so is the resistor under the seat. :O)