Re: [T TBS R] Rear brake pad wear

  • mtnrunjohn
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11 12:03 PM
      Size 10.5

      > Shoe size?
      >
      > mtnrunjohn <jsimpson@a...> wrote:
      > Just had my 2000 TBS for inspection and found the rear brake
      > pads worn past limits at 13K miles, fronts look new. Anyone else
      had
      > this happen / ideas what may be wrong or need adjusted, hopefully
      not
      > the rider ?
      >
      > John Simpson
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

    • Mo
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11 12:41 PM
        What i was getting at, is that at times i've noticed my foot resting on the brake pedal..if it is enough to drag the brake slightly, it will wear very fast.

        Size 10.5

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11 10:53 PM
          I noticed that the OE rear pads on my 98 wore out quickly. This weekend the
          issue came up from a member of our RAT Pack that his 2004 ate the pads in about
          7k miles. The part numbers are the same for the front and rear, so we deduced
          that we must be using the rear too much in stop and go traffic. I've changed
          my braking habits to very light rear application. I adjusted the brake pedal
          down so my foot would just slide over it when needed.

          00 Tiger
          02 Mini Cooper
          Oahu Hawaii

        • jcatbert45
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12 3:18 AM
            >Just had my 2000 TBS for inspection and found the rear brake
            >pads worn past limits at 13K miles, fronts look new. Anyone else
            >had this happen / ideas what may be wrong or need adjusted,
            >hopefully not the rider ?

            13K miles is not bad mileage on a set of pads, depends on driving
            style and how much stop/go you do. Plus they are relatively
            inexpensive and simple to replace. On my T-Bird standard I use EBC
            FA-196 front and back. Not sure the TBS uses the same pads. You
            lucky guys have dual disc up front. I'm jealous ;)
          • mtnrunjohn
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12 4:55 AM
              Thanks for the info, I was thinking about adjusting the brake
              pedal in case I was dragging the rear brake without knowing.

              John Simpson
            • Larry Plass
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12 5:04 AM
                13K is pretty good for stock pads. I go heavy on the front, light on the
                back, and my '95 speed triple wore the rears down in only 3k miles (probably
                different pads than yours). Several sets of aftermarket pads have lasted
                @12k miles.
                - Larry