Re: [T TBS R] Rear brake pad wear

  • Mo
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2004
      Shoe size?

      mtnrunjohn <jsimpson@...> wrote:
      Just had my 2000 TBS for inspection and found the rear brake
      pads worn past limits at 13K miles, fronts look new. Anyone else had
      this happen / ideas what may be wrong or need adjusted, hopefully not
      the rider ?

      John Simpson

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • mtnrunjohn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2004
        Size 10.5

        > Shoe size?
        >
        > mtnrunjohn <jsimpson@a...> wrote:
        > Just had my 2000 TBS for inspection and found the rear brake
        > pads worn past limits at 13K miles, fronts look new. Anyone else
        had
        > this happen / ideas what may be wrong or need adjusted, hopefully
        not
        > the rider ?
        >
        > John Simpson
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

      • Mo
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2004
          What i was getting at, is that at times i've noticed my foot resting on the brake pedal..if it is enough to drag the brake slightly, it will wear very fast.

          Size 10.5

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2004
            I noticed that the OE rear pads on my 98 wore out quickly. This weekend the
            issue came up from a member of our RAT Pack that his 2004 ate the pads in about
            7k miles. The part numbers are the same for the front and rear, so we deduced
            that we must be using the rear too much in stop and go traffic. I've changed
            my braking habits to very light rear application. I adjusted the brake pedal
            down so my foot would just slide over it when needed.

            00 Tiger
            02 Mini Cooper
            Oahu Hawaii

          • jcatbert45
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
              >Just had my 2000 TBS for inspection and found the rear brake
              >pads worn past limits at 13K miles, fronts look new. Anyone else
              >had this happen / ideas what may be wrong or need adjusted,
              >hopefully not the rider ?

              13K miles is not bad mileage on a set of pads, depends on driving
              style and how much stop/go you do. Plus they are relatively
              inexpensive and simple to replace. On my T-Bird standard I use EBC
              FA-196 front and back. Not sure the TBS uses the same pads. You
              lucky guys have dual disc up front. I'm jealous ;)
            • mtnrunjohn
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
                Thanks for the info, I was thinking about adjusting the brake
                pedal in case I was dragging the rear brake without knowing.

                John Simpson
              • Larry Plass
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
                  13K is pretty good for stock pads. I go heavy on the front, light on the
                  back, and my '95 speed triple wore the rears down in only 3k miles (probably
                  different pads than yours). Several sets of aftermarket pads have lasted
                  @12k miles.
                  - Larry