[T TBS R] Re: Experience with 160/60-17 rears?

  • tbsrider2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
      Just for the record here, the stock tire size for the TBS is 160/70
      not 170/60.. or 160/60... I do intend to go to a 170/60 with my
      next tire change though...

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Twissell"
      <PTwissell@m...> wrote:
      > That sounds like just the kind of dealer who fitted a tyre to my
      > mate's Meriden Triumph and left the security clamp trapped between
      > the tube and cover, because he didn't know what it was there for!
      The
      > result was a blowout and an unplanned excursion into the woods.
      > Experience of such dealers prompted me to learn to fit my own
      tyres.
      > I do all my own mechanical work anyway, and was able to make myself
      > bead de-seating tool. I may not be the worlds best tyre fitter, but
      > feel more confidence with my own work than that of the 16 year old
      > trainee at the local Kwik-Fit etc.
      > I also find that tyre changes are a good opportunity to give the
      > spoked wheels a good clean up, without the worry of damaging a tyre
      > with cleaning chemicals.
      > Disclaimer:
      > I cannot recommend carrying out any work on your bike if you're
      not
      > trained to do so. Best bet is to find a dealer you can trust, even
      if
      > they're an hours ride away.
      >
      > Pete.
      >
      > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Todd Luchette
      > <luchette@m...> wrote:
      > > Oh, you mean the dealer that badly scratched my alternator cover
      > while
      > > performing a service and then touched it up with spray paint and
      > > match stick? Well, they are the only deal in town. I did finally
      > decide
      > > to have a serious word with my dealer about that the way they
      > handled
      > > the cover and they have promised to make it good by taking the
      > cover
      > > off and painting it correctly.
      > >
      > > The tire issue didn't please me, but since I didn't notice any
      > > difference after 7500 miles, I didn't raise a stink.
      > >

      > > On Sep 28, 2004, at 1:02 AM, Pete Twissell wrote:
      > >
      > > > I'd be having a serious word with my dealer.....
      > > >
      > > > Pete
      > > >
      > > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Todd
      > Luchette
      > didn't
      > > > even

      > available
      > > > in a

      > to:

      > Yahoo!
      > > > Terms of

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > > > <image.tiff>
      > > > <image.tiff>
      > > >
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >
      > > > • To visit your group on the web, go to:
      > > >
      > > > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > > >
      > > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
      > Terms of
      > > > Service.
      > > >

      > > Todd Luchette
      > > Apple Computer, Inc.
      > > Remote Access Engineer
      > > 408-974-1241 Office
      > > 408-425-3778

    • Guy
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
        Greetings'-I had a dealer install the next size up-the 170/60/zr17-
        instead of the 160/70 or 160/60--the 170/60 was only slightly shorter
        overall than the 160/70abd it is slightly wider-tho not really
        noticable since ithe rim is narrowest in the rim width selection---
        and it looks great---I had installed the dunlops front and rear--in
        front I had installed the 130/70/zr17--only slightly taller-so no big
        deal either.--now the bike is less twitchy while running straight
        roads and covers the edge of the rimwhen viewing from the front---
        tunris are more stable and rain groves aren't as noticable either.
        Hope I helped a little----

        Guy
        y2ktbs
        SUZUKI ,78 GS750E

        <PTwissell@m...> wrote:
        > I'd be having a serious word with my dealer.....
        >
        > Pete
        >
        > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Todd Luchette
        > <luchette@m...> wrote:
        > > The dealer, unbeknownst to me, put this size tire on and I didn't
        > even
        > > notice until the next replacement.
        > >

        > > On Sep 27, 2004, at 6:41 AM, petermholmes wrote:
        > >
        > > > I ran a set of Pilot Sports on my TBS which were only available
        > in a
        > > > 160/60 rear.  The difference didn't bother me in the least.
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > > > <image.tiff>
        > > > <image.tiff>
        > > >
        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >
        > > > • To visit your group on the web, go to:
        > > >
        > > > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > > >
        > > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
        > Terms of
        > > > Service.
        > > >

        > > Todd Luchette
        > > Apple Computer, Inc.
        > > Remote Access Engineer
        > > 408-974-1241 Office
        > > 408-425-3778

      • jcatbert45
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
          >Meriden Triumph and left the security clamp trapped between
          >the tube and cover, because he didn't know what it was there for!

          What is this and "no" I was not the idiot who left the clamp there.

          >Disclaimer:
          >I cannot recommend carrying out any work on your bike if you're not
          >trained to do so. Best bet is to find a dealer you can trust, even
          >if they're an hours ride away.

          OK Pete. you are a handyman AND a lawyer ...lol...or you just been
          sued real bad ;o)
        • Pete Twissell
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 4, 2004
            Many older machines used security clamps, particularly as performance
            overtook tyre technology. The clamp looks like a short section of
            wheel rim with a stud attatched. The stud passes through a hole in
            the rim. When the tyre is fitted, the clamp is rotated into position
            and pulled tight with a nut, clamping the tyre bead into its position
            on the rim and preventing it from rotating under power or braking. To
            the casual observer, security clamps look like a pair of extra valve
            stems.

            P.S. I am not a lawyer. Any person accusing me of being a lawyer
            should first check that they live at least one large ocean away. :-)

            Pete.

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jcatbert45
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > >Meriden Triumph and left the security clamp trapped between
            > >the tube and cover, because he didn't know what it was there for!
            >
            > What is this and "no" I was not the idiot who left the clamp there.
            >
            > >Disclaimer:
            > >I cannot recommend carrying out any work on your bike if you're
            not
            > >trained to do so. Best bet is to find a dealer you can trust, even
            > >if they're an hours ride away.
            > >

            > OK Pete. you are a handyman AND a lawyer ...lol...or you just been
            > sued real bad ;o)
          • jcatbert45
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2004
              >Many older machines used security clamps, particularly as
              >performance overtook tyre technology. The clamp looks like a short
              >section of wheel rim with a stud attatched. The stud passes through
              >a hole in the rim. When the tyre is fitted, the clamp is rotated
              >into position and pulled tight with a nut, clamping the tyre bead
              >into its position on the rim and preventing it from rotating under
              >power or braking. To the casual observer, security clamps look like
              >a pair of extra valve stems.
              >
              > P.S. I am not a lawyer. Any person accusing me of being a lawyer
              > should first check that they live at least one large ocean away. :-)
              >
              > Pete.

              lol...thanks for the edification and luckily we have the Atlantic
              between us ;o)