tire pressure

  • dgalassi63
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
      Guys, I have a doubt: the pressure reccomended on the users manual
      for my metzelers me-z4 is 2.50 front and 2.90 rear. My mechanic says
      it's too high, and suggests something like 2.20 and 2.50.
      Has anybody comments/experience on the subject?
      Thanks
      Dario
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
        Why not try both and use the pressures which generate the ride and
        handling you prefer?
      • Mo
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
          I use the recommended pressures (of course in psi), and they seem OK, maybe a tad stiff. I always run max allowable pressure in my car tires too...they last longer and handle better...ride comfort vs handling is just a trade off.

          Yesterday, i had occasion to ride a few miles with 0.0 bar in my rear tire, thanks to a nail. I was amazed at how stiff the sidewalls are.

          dgalassi63 <dario.galassi@...> wrote:
          Guys, I have a doubt: the pressure reccomended on the users manual
          for my metzelers me-z4 is 2.50 front and 2.90 rear. My mechanic says
          it's too high, and suggests something like 2.20 and 2.50.
          Has anybody comments/experience on the subject?
          Thanks
          Dario

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
            I've been running mine are factory recommended pressure as well. Sometimes
            the tire company will suggest a different setting. Having gone through several
            sets of MeZ4's I feel the Triumph recommended settings have given me a nice
            balance between wet/dry grip and longevity.

            When I have forgotten to check my pressure before riding lately I've noticed
            that on the front the steering feels sluggish. Increasing the pressure sure
            lightens things up.

            Try some different pressure settings out. You will get increased tire wear
            with lower pressure settings.

            00 Tiger
            02 Mini Cooper
            Oahu Hawaii

          • dgalassi63
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
              Thanks for your answers; I actually tried the two settings, and I
              still cannot decide which is better...I guess I'll keep trying...
              Just one clarification: on my user's manual (in italian) the pressure
              is given in KG/sq.cm., how's that compared to "bar"? Same thing? And
              psi? Is it pounds/sq.inch?
              Feeling sorry for my ignorance,
              Dario
              Gray '03 TBS

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com,
              pickwickian51@a... wrote:
              > I've been running mine are factory recommended pressure as well.
              Sometimes
              > the tire company will suggest a different setting. Having gone
              through several
              > sets of MeZ4's I feel the Triumph recommended settings have given
              me a nice
              > balance between wet/dry grip and longevity.
              >
              > When I have forgotten to check my pressure before riding lately
              I've noticed
              > that on the front the steering feels sluggish. Increasing the
              pressure sure
              > lightens things up.
              >
              > Try some different pressure settings out. You will get increased
              tire wear
              > with lower pressure settings.
              >
              > Gary
              > 98 Thunderbird Sport
              > 00 Tiger
              > 02 Mini Cooper
              > Oahu Hawaii

            • Mo
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2004
                yes...PSI = pounds per square inch

                I looked on my handy-dandy converter program...and 1 bar = 1.01976 kg/cm2. Close, but they are not the same.

                You can download that conversion tool (it is GREAT) here: http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

                Hope that helps.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 8, 2004
                  Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
                  Thanks for the tip too.
                  Dario

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo
                  <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:
                  > yes...PSI = pounds per square inch
                  >
                  > I looked on my handy-dandy converter program...and 1 bar = 1.01976
                  kg/cm2. Close, but they are not the same.

                  > You can download that conversion tool (it is GREAT) here:
                  http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

                  > Hope that helps.
                  >
                  > dgalassi63 <dario.galassi@t...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for your answers; I actually tried the two settings, and I
                  > still cannot decide which is better...I guess I'll keep trying...
                  > Just one clarification: on my user's manual (in italian) the
                  pressure
                  > is given in KG/sq.cm., how's that compared to "bar"? Same thing?
                  And
                  > psi? Is it pounds/sq.inch?
                  > Feeling sorry for my ignorance,
                  > Dario
                  > Gray '03 TBS
                  >
                  > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com,
                  > pickwickian51@a... wrote:
                  > > I've been running mine are factory recommended pressure as well.
                  > Sometimes
                  > > the tire company will suggest a different setting. Having gone
                  > through several
                  > > sets of MeZ4's I feel the Triumph recommended settings have given
                  > me a nice
                  > > balance between wet/dry grip and longevity.
                  > >
                  > > When I have forgotten to check my pressure before riding lately
                  > I've noticed
                  > > that on the front the steering feels sluggish. Increasing the
                  > pressure sure
                  > > lightens things up.
                  > >
                  > > Try some different pressure settings out. You will get increased
                  > tire wear
                  > > with lower pressure settings.
                  > >
                  > > Gary
                  > > 98 Thunderbird Sport