Re: [T TBS R] Ignition coils failure. . .

  • cafetbird
    Message 1 of 60 , May 3, 2004
      I don't work for Triumph thanks, but would be glad to see you go
      back to hanging with your rice burning buddies and stifle yourself.
      There is really not much to refute, since you made no significant
      factual statements regarding your Triumph problem.

      Incidentally, my two failed coils were not manufactured by Gill,
      rather PVL in West Germany - oh-oh! We have two bad batches now
      apparently from different manufacturers! Now, this is a REAL
      problem!!

      As for your multiple people coming up with the same "bad batch"
      story - yes, I do believe it could happen. It is called an "urban
      legend", and it happens all the time since this internet doo-hickey
      became rampant. Maybe we should just shut down the internet to keep
      unsuspecting and gullible twits like yourself from getting sucked
      into such nonsense! Who specifically in TMA came up with this
      statement Richard? I will be glad to verify it for you!

      Once again, I said that every bike has a, read WEAK POINT - meaning
      every design has its weakest link. Not only does every motorcycle
      have a weak point, EVERY machine design has one - it is imbedded in
      the very nature of machine design itself. With BMWs, there are
      several. Take their shaft drive, for instance, which is quirky as
      all get out and still unacceptable in my book. Hondas have the
      recent major overheating issue on the GL1800 which they still are
      denying to this day...

      By the way, you might want to re-enroll in your business classes,
      Richard, because Triumph is not a second tier manufacturer, they are
      an OEM. Now, if you want Gill (the second tier) to pay for the
      problem, that is a different story... but good luck, since the word
      is that they are not even aware one exists.

      Finally, Triumph replaced my first failed coil out of warranty - so
      what are you complaining about? It sounds like you might have a
      DEALER problem.

      If you love your Beemers so much, please go back to riding them,
      ditch the Triumph, and get off of this freakin discussion group. I
      am sick of hearing this conspiracy drivel.

      Scot

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
      Fenner" <rfenner@t...> wrote:
      > Rubbish!
      >
      > "The real thing we should be focused on" is the fact that a second-
      tier
      > major manufacturer has not, and will not, deal with a known,
      widespread and
      > continuing problem.
      >
      > As any Marketing 101 student knows, if you're trying to build
      market share
      > and reputation, the one thing you cannot do is ignore a commonly-
      accepted
      > problem or fail to deal with it.
      >
      > Triumph has done both.
      >
      > What makes this even more ridiculous (from both a marketing and PR
      > standpoint) is that the "bad batch" explanation came from within
      TNA itself.
      > Do you honestly think that a few hundred individual owners from
      all over the
      > world came up with this theory independently?
      >
      > If indeed Triumph is correct, and they received a "bad batch" of
      coils from
      > Gill, why are they not rectifying the problem and making Gill pay
      for it? If
      > a supplier delivered faulty OEM equipment to you, wouldn't you
      expect them
      > to replace it FOC? And if Gill is paying for it, what percentage
      is there in
      > Triumph denying the problem and pissing off owners? Remember:
      positive word
      > of mouth referrals from current owners are a manufacturer's
      greatest sales
      > tool.
      >
      > And as for all bikes having problems - bollocks! I have ridden for
      42 years,
      > the last 35 on BMWs, Hondas and, for the last 25, Yamahas. The
      ONLY problem
      > I have had in that time has been the rear clutch oil seal going
      (1000 miles
      > out of warranty) on my 1978 BMW R100RS.
      >
      > Although the bike was out of warranty, it was a "known problem" -
      just like
      > this one. Consequently, the dealer a) acknowledged the problem;
      b) provided
      > the new parts FOC; and c) lent me the factory tools needed to do
      the job,
      > which took all of an hour.
      >
      > Why couldn't Triumph react like that?
      >
      > In Europe, I averaged about 15,000 miles a year. Since coming to
      Canada,
      > that has dropped to about 16,000 kms/pa.
      >
      > I have ridden either FZR 1000s or R1s from 1987 to last year, when
      I screwed
      > my back playing rugby. NOT ONCE has one of these bikes ever had a
      problem
      > while I have owned them. I had my 89 FZR for 7 years, and rode the
      wheels
      > off it. It never even hiccoughed.
      >
      > I bought my 98 TBS on July 16th last year, with 26,400 kms on the
      clock. I
      > have put on 13,000 kms since. I love this bike, but have spent
      more time
      > working on it in the last 9 months than I have all the Yamahas I
      have owned
      > put together.
      >
      > So, Scot, now come back with another dubious Triumph PR bleat to
      refute
      > that!
      >
      > Richard
      > 98 TBS
    • jcatbert45
      Message 60 of 60 , May 8, 2004
        >What are the symptoms of coil failure? Do you get any warning
        >before the engine dies?

        The usual symptom is the engine will break-up and you will lose
        power. This occurs when the engine and coils are hot. Mine always
        ran well while cold, umless you have a total coil failure where
        presumably the diode burns out. Then it's obvious because you will
        be running on two cylinders. Easy to find which one by pulling spark
        plug wires.

        >I'm asking because I'm having electrical problems on my '99. I have
        >trouble keeping a charge in my battery.

        Coil problems are generally independant of battery problems. How old
        is your battery? It may not hold a charge because it's no longer any
        good or your alternator isn't putting out enough voltage to charge
        it. Easy to test with a multimeter.

        >If so, any recommended replacements, OEM or third party?

        Batteries, for sure Yuasa and others. Coils, try Sprint
        manufacturing for an OEM alternative.