Re: [T TBS R] Ignition coils failure. . .

  • Larry Plass
    Message 1 of 60 , May 3, 2004
      Anyone on more than one Triumph list knows that many carb model coils were
      bad, not just the TBS. With 43k on my '95 Speed Triple, yes, I would pay
      for a bad coil at this point out of my own pocket. But some of these bikes
      had more than one coil go bad with <20k or even <10k miles on them and
      Triumph should have issued a technical bulletin if not a recall. Having
      said that, I do thank Triumph profusely for a free replacement tachometer
      WAY past the end of my warranty. If you have a dealer with some diplomatic
      skills and you are a good customer, they can work with Triumph for you. But
      if you want to throw your own money away on a known manufacturing defect, go
      for it.
      - Larry

      > has there been a problem with coils on the TBS??? really?? dog-gone it, I
      missed all that can you guys repeat the last 3 weeks post about that, I
      seemed to have missed some of it, dog-gone..... can we just drop it, some of
      you got bad coils, some didn't..live with it, move on with your life for
      crying out loud...if I have a problem with my coils you know what I'm going
      to do???? I'm going to fix the bike, probably out of my own pocket to,
      shuckyy darn..sometimes life just throws you a curve,,,have any of you
      thought how lucky you were to have a motorcycle, there are a lot of people
      out there that want one, but can't afford one. ok, down off the box now, go
      play kids, LOL LOL
    • jcatbert45
      Message 60 of 60 , May 8, 2004
        >What are the symptoms of coil failure? Do you get any warning
        >before the engine dies?

        The usual symptom is the engine will break-up and you will lose
        power. This occurs when the engine and coils are hot. Mine always
        ran well while cold, umless you have a total coil failure where
        presumably the diode burns out. Then it's obvious because you will
        be running on two cylinders. Easy to find which one by pulling spark
        plug wires.

        >I'm asking because I'm having electrical problems on my '99. I have
        >trouble keeping a charge in my battery.

        Coil problems are generally independant of battery problems. How old
        is your battery? It may not hold a charge because it's no longer any
        good or your alternator isn't putting out enough voltage to charge
        it. Easy to test with a multimeter.

        >If so, any recommended replacements, OEM or third party?

        Batteries, for sure Yuasa and others. Coils, try Sprint
        manufacturing for an OEM alternative.