Re: [T TBS R] Ignition coils failure. . .

  • cafetbird
    Message 1 of 60 , May 1 11:02 AM
      Still waiting for all or you who are so knowledgeable of this "bad
      batch" to produce one shred of evidence to the effect. Stop
      inciting people if you have no facts please!

      It could be any number of things contributing to the coil failures.
      That is the problem with electrical issues - they are difficult to
      pinpoint. The coil could be a symptom of another problem. What
      ever happened to the overcharging alternator thread, anyway?

      If it is a bad batch, they have been getting bad batches at least
      since 1995....

      Scot

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
      Fenner" <rfenner@t...> wrote:
      > Rubbish!!
      >
      > Don't let them hand you that line of garbage. It is a bad batch of
      coils, no
      > more, no less.
      >
      > I cannot believe the credibility Triumph has chosen to lose over
      an issue
      > that should have been handled so simply.
      >
      > Keep at 'em!
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Richard
      > 98 TBS (with coil problem now fixed!)
    • jcatbert45
      Message 60 of 60 , May 8 5:22 PM
        >What are the symptoms of coil failure? Do you get any warning
        >before the engine dies?

        The usual symptom is the engine will break-up and you will lose
        power. This occurs when the engine and coils are hot. Mine always
        ran well while cold, umless you have a total coil failure where
        presumably the diode burns out. Then it's obvious because you will
        be running on two cylinders. Easy to find which one by pulling spark
        plug wires.

        >I'm asking because I'm having electrical problems on my '99. I have
        >trouble keeping a charge in my battery.

        Coil problems are generally independant of battery problems. How old
        is your battery? It may not hold a charge because it's no longer any
        good or your alternator isn't putting out enough voltage to charge
        it. Easy to test with a multimeter.

        >If so, any recommended replacements, OEM or third party?

        Batteries, for sure Yuasa and others. Coils, try Sprint
        manufacturing for an OEM alternative.