Re: STILL HAVING PROBLEMS

  • randyrtbird
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
      hi Jerry

      the date on my coils is 11/99 I bought the first 2000 to show up
      here. I guess it's possible that they could all be bad but at
      $140.00 each I can't afford to be wrong.

      I'll keep trying

      Randy

      2000 TBS

      -- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jcatbert45
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >The coil checks out right at .61 ohms and was off a bike with
      only a
      > >few miles on it before the unfortunate owner binned it. ( the
      donor
      > >bike is destroyed to a degree I have never seen before, literally
      > >every part of the bike is bent, broken crushed or ripped off!)
      > >I am going to work on it again this weekend and hopefully I will
      > >have a revelation of some kind.
      > >

      > You checked both the primary and secondary windings? I replaced
      one
      > bad coil that didn't pass the "ohm" test. The bike ran well for a
      > few days then began to act up again!! So I sprung for two more,
      > replacing all three and it has run great since! The coils don't
      > always act bad all the time which makes it a pain in the butt to
      > diagnose. BTW ... mine is a 2K T-bird and the bad coils are dated
      > 07/00. Are yours maybe the same bad batch?? Any chance you can
      > borrow coils to test? - Jerry
    • jcatbert45
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
        > The fuel tank is the next project.

        It could be clogged petcock screens. I've had that problem too and
        it's part of my regular maintenance. Draining the tank is not too
        much fun, but I have it down to a science now.
      • jcatbert45
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
          I got mine from Baxter ... $122 each and I begged so they gave me
          free shipping. $366 for molded electrical thingies is surely nothing
          to sneeze at. Triumph did us wrong on coils!
        • pickwickian51@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
            The
            mechanic that went through the carbs last time now suggests it may
            be the ecu box .
            Officially that would be the Igniter assembly. Another item to get from a
            breaker. According to the Triumph Service manual there is an ignition diagnosis
            kit. Must be what they used on mine to determine that Pickup Sensor was bad.
            Any chance your mechanic has this tool.

            While reading the manual I remember check all the connections, looking for
            evidence of arcing and renewing the dielectric grease just to make sure my
            connections are good and water/salt stays out.

            00 Tiger
            02 Mini Cooper
            Oahu Hawaii