RE: [T TBS R] Staintune vs Predator mufflers

  • MarkDenton
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2004
      Yep - in the UK. our emission regs keep changing though -so the 2003
      model might be a bit leaner than earlier ones. A quick blast should
      show up any weakness and I'll try a turn out if that's the case. Still
      trying to find a 300mm HSS drill though. I don't think a hole cutter is
      a good idea as it would leave a disc rattling round in the muffler. A
      drill would just leave a bit of swarf - which will probably blow out
      after a while!
      Eagle

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2004
        > The only other problem is where to get an
        > extra long metal drill bit from...

        Buy an extension.

        > If anyone in Devon or Cornwall has a
        > drilled out TBS, could they let me
        > know so I can have a listen?

        There are a couple of recordings in the Files section of this group.

        > Also - anyone know if it affects power?

        According to http://www.wilcoxengines.demon.co.uk/tbirdsp.htm the
        offroad cans are good for about 6hp. Going by the seat of my pants,
        I'd say they're right.

        Hope this helps.
      • jcatbert45
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2004
          >Yep - in the UK. our emission regs keep changing though -so the 2003
          >model might be a bit leaner than earlier ones. A quick blast should
          >show up any weakness and I'll try a turn out if that's the case.
          >Still trying to find a 300mm HSS drill though. I don't think a hole
          >cutter is a good idea as it would leave a disc rattling round in the
          >muffler. A drill would just leave a bit of swarf - which will
          >probably blow out after a while!
          > Eagle

          Mine came out with the hole saw but I did lose one on the tiny allen
          head screws that holds the hole saw in place. I could not shake it
          out and it never fell out. Had the exhaust off to give it a good
          cleaning and it still rattles aroung in there. The plate is thin so
          a "real" bit should work.
        • Mark Denton
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 2, 2004
            > Message date : Feb 02 2004, 01:41 AM
            > From : "jcatbert45"
            > To : triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
            > Copy to :
            > Subject : Re: [T TBS R] Staintune vs Predator mufflers
            > >Yep - in the UK. our emission regs keep changing though -so the 2003
            > >model might be a bit leaner than earlier ones. A quick blast should
            > >show up any weakness and I'll try a turn out if that's the case.
            > >Still trying to find a 300mm HSS drill though. I don't think a hole
            > >cutter is a good idea as it would leave a disc rattling round in the
            > >muffler. A drill would just leave a bit of swarf - which will
            > >probably blow out after a while!
            > > Eagle
            >
            > Mine came out with the hole saw but I did lose one on the tiny allen
            > head screws that holds the hole saw in place. I could not shake it
            > out and it never fell out. Had the exhaust off to give it a good
            > cleaning and it still rattles aroung in there. The plate is thin so
            > a "real" bit should work.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            How long an extension did you need? I still can't find one on teh net!
            Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
            www.freeserve.com/anytime

          • Mark Denton
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 2, 2004
              The last email I sent seems to have lost my text!!! What I asked was 'how long an extension did you need?'
              Eagle

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 2, 2004
                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mark Denton
                <denton@a...> wrote:
                > The last email I sent seems to have lost my text!!! What I asked
                was 'how long an extension did you need?'
                > Eagle

                Mine fits in my tool chest so I guess it's about 14-16 inches. Got
                it from a tool store here in the US, same with the hole saw.
              • Mark Denton
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                  Those long HHS drills are over £60 each here! I'm planning to use a 6.5mm with an adaptor - the largest I can get that will fit the adaptor and drill about 6 holes. Do you think that would have the same effect?
                  Is the plate stainless? If it's mild steel I might be able to get through it with a masonry bit - already got a long 1/2" one!!! (no comments please! we're British! ha ha)
                  Eagle

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                    >Those long HHS drills are over £60 each here! I'm planning to use
                    >a 6.5mm with an adaptor - the largest I can get that will fit the
                    >adaptor and drill about 6 holes. Do you think that would have the
                    >same effect?
                    >Is the plate stainless? If it's mild steel I might be able to get
                    >through it with a masonry bit - already got a long 1/2" one!!! (no
                    >comments please! we're British! ha ha)

                    I'm thinking it would be difficult to drill a series of holes. It's
                    tight in there and the plate is very far in. I don't think it's
                    stainless, but it may be. I seem to recall drilling through rather
                    quickly and easily with a 3/4 inch (~20mm) hole saw. My goodness,
                    you need to get yourself a proper tool.
                  • zoot_style
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                      I drilled mine out with a 3/4" Hole saw too. One side I didn't
                      manage to get out the center piece, but It's doesn't rattle around
                      in the muffler too much, the other one came out ok still inside the
                      hole saw. Sounds good too. Now it actually sound like a motorbike
                      instead of a fart in a blanket!

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jcatbert45
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > >Those long HHS drills are over £60 each here! I'm planning to
                      use
                      > >a 6.5mm with an adaptor - the largest I can get that will fit the
                      > >adaptor and drill about 6 holes. Do you think that would have
                      the
                      > >same effect?
                      > >Is the plate stainless? If it's mild steel I might be able to
                      get
                      > >through it with a masonry bit - already got a long 1/2" one!!!
                      (no
                      > >comments please! we're British! ha ha)
                      >
                      > I'm thinking it would be difficult to drill a series of holes.
                      It's
                      > tight in there and the plate is very far in. I don't think it's
                      > stainless, but it may be. I seem to recall drilling through
                      rather
                      > quickly and easily with a 3/4 inch (~20mm) hole saw. My goodness,
                      > you need to get yourself a proper tool.
                    • Mo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                        Masonry bits are very dull, and will probably do more boogering then actual drilling. I'll refrain from the obvious comment. :)

                        Mark Denton <denton@...> wrote:Those long HHS drills are over �60 each here! I'm planning to use a 6.5mm with an adaptor - the largest I can get that will fit the adaptor and drill about 6 holes. Do you think that would have the same effect?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                          Mo,
                          Ok - I guess I'll have to do a series of smaller holes - make a nice pattern.... Did you just drill the plate that's at the top (engine) end of the pipe? I can;t see that enlarging the cones would make much difference - and they are probably more difficult to do! Also more difficult to put right afterwards!
                          Eagle (with the long, blunt drill!)

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                            I had'nt "redone" mine...the guy that had mine before didnt drill..he used a 3/4 pipe and just banged it in there. I am planniing on drilling it though. I was just commenting in general, since i've used masonary bits quite a bit (and normal ones too). Happy drilling, with that long blunt thing

                            Mark Denton <denton@...> wrote:Mo,

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004
                              Ah - you mean the old spike and hammer method? I was thinking of that
                              too! Anyone still got a made up tool for the job in the UK? I'd happily
                              pay for one as I haven’t got a welder (or any welding skills either!) to
                              join a length of steel to a hole saw - and it sounds from what I've been
                              told that the plate is a lot more than 7 inches from the end of the
                              muffler - so buying a 12" drill bit for 60 or 70 pounds may now help
                              either.... help! Pretty soon I'll have to give up and spend nearly £500
                              I haven’t got on a pair of Staintunes!
                              Eagle

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 4, 2004