Re: Ignitor - T'bird weak big end bolts?

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2004
      The owner/modifier is Tom Hicks, also the owner of Southern Calfornia
      Triumph/Ducati, website: http://www.socaltriumph.com/

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
      Fenner" <rfenner@t...> wrote:
      > There was an article in a recent Cycle World on a TBS that had been
      > hot-rodded in Ca. with the S3 igniter/4-degree ignition advancer,
      S3 cams, a
      > set of 39mm flat-slide Keihins and a D&D 3-into-3 pipe. It was
      geared down
      > for brisk acceleration and no mention was made of any mods to the
      botom end.

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Richard
      > Vancouver, Canada
      > 98 TBS

    • ciles_ca
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2004
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck"
        <chwright@p...> wrote:
        > The owner/modifier is Tom Hicks, also the owner of Southern
        Calfornia
        > Triumph/Ducati, website: http://www.socaltriumph.com/
        Thanks - I've written to him for his input. Gotta love these lists!

        Chris
        '99 T'bird
      • mickmaguire66
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2004
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, ciles_ca
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks - I've written to him for his input. Gotta love these lists!

          Let us know what he says Chris, I've heard very good things about that
          shop and would trust them to know.

          /\/\ick...
        • jimmyj900
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2004
            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, ciles_ca
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            A few years ago (1999?) Triumph did a recall to replace main bearing
            (big end) bolts on some of their bikes because the bolts were below
            standard, and the question was raised at the time that perhaps
            Triumph used different bolts on different models.

            The reality was that Triumph got a bad batch of bolts from a vendor
            and it appears that the same bolts are used on all of the 900 engines
            as a part of their "modular" approach.

            The only bottom end failures I've seen (on all the lists and a herd
            of e-mails) were one caused by oil loss (loose drain plug) and one
            caused by massive engine damage due to an improperly performed repair
            and lots of ground-up metal.

            I wouldn't worry about the Triumph main bolts at all.

            Jim
          • ciles_ca
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2004
              --- In
              <mick@t...> wrote:
              > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, ciles_ca
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > Thanks - I've written to him for his input. Gotta love these
              lists!

              > Let us know what he says Chris, I've heard very good things about
              that
              > shop and would trust them to know.

              You bet (nothing yet).

              Chris