Pickup Sensor Gone @ 32k miles

  • brianposullivan
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
      All,
      I'm sending this to help others that come across the dreaded pickup-
      sensor failure problem - because if it weren't for a quick search on
      this newsgroup, it would have taken me weeks to locate the fault.

      My TBS began to cut out recently. The weather in England had just
      become wet, after a VERY long dry spell, so it was natural to assume
      that water was getting into the electrics.

      The symptoms were, ride for a while - then the engine dies suddenly
      with the tacho going instantly to zero rpm even though the engine is
      still turning over. This happenned more often in town than on the
      open road. If I rode at 50-60mph, I could go miles with no problems.

      It conked out on the M40 outside Oxford, and the RAC man reckoned
      something in the ignition circuit was overheating and cutting out -
      "Are you mad... it must be the rain!", I said.

      Looking up the symptoms on the web, the rain turned out to be a red
      herring and I changed the pickup sensor.

      Viola - problem solved. And given the bloody deluge of rain recently,
      it's never occured... and hats off the the RAC engineer - he was
      right on the money.

      Cheers,
      Brian

      '99 TBS - 33k miles ...and every ride is still a joy.
    • Mo
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
        What happened to Peter? I've noticed for about a month or more, that he does'nt post anymore, wasn't he the moderator??? or...maybe he traded in his TBS for an old Honda 900CB.......

      • Mo
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
          There has been some talk about a TBS rally...and though its late to do something for this year, my suggestion, is that we do it next spring...maybe towards the end of April, beginning of May. I've been reading a lot about Tail of the Dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com), and it seems like a perfect place to go. If we did this in the summer months, it will be wayyyyyyyy crowded, and the best time would be during the week, as there would be much fewer cars and bikes on the road. My ex and her BF rode up there last week, and said IT, and the Cherhala (sp) skyway were just awesome.

          I'd be happy to get some information on lodging and camping etc.and do some of the legwork as far as arrangements are concerned, if you guys are interested.

          Maurice

        • HS3000
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo
            <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:

            > There has been some talk about a TBS rally..

            I'm new to the TBS group, only had mine a few weeks, but a rally in
            Deal's Gap sounds awesome. I've always wanted to ride the "dragon". Of
            course it epends on when it is, but I would definitely be interested.

            Hector
            99 TBS
            84 Shadow
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
              > What happened to Peter?

              He got divorced and fell into a fit of ecstacy upon moving into a
              house which was actually built properly (in 1850).
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
                > There has been some talk about a TBS rally...
                <snip>
                > ...do it next spring...end of April, beginning of May.

                Weather and work permitting, I'd definitely be interested. If you're
                trying to attract us Northeasterners, however, you'd be better off
                going into May as far as you can because the temperatures here can
                still be quite low during the time frame you're referring to.
              • Mo
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
                  Congradulations!! :)

                  petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> What happened to Peter?

                  He got divorced and fell into a fit of ecstacy upon moving into a
                  house which was actually built properly (in 1850).

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Mo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 26, 2003
                    Moving the rally further back into may sounds fine, and actually better...but not too much later in the season then that, as the smokey mountain area is very touristy, and we might find ourselves rallying behind a lot of motorhomes and campers. Do you have any preferences as to a location?

                    petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> There has been some talk about a TBS rally...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 27, 2003
                      > ...the smokey mountain area is very touristy,
                      > and we might find ourselves rallying behind a
                      > lot of motorhomes and campers.

                      Good point. I do have electric clothing, but if it's snowing or the
                      roads are still salt covered I won't be there.

                      > Do you have any preferences as to a location?

                      If you choose your routes carefully, there isn't a single place
                      between Asheville, NC and Albany, NY that doesn't have great
                      motorcycle roads. It all sounds great to me.
                    • reverendskirt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 28, 2003
                        Then we'll shoot for early May and I still want to do near Asheville NC (Pisgah Inn).
                        How's that sound to you guys?

                        ~ Reverend Skirt (Larry)

                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > > ...the smokey mountain area is very touristy,
                        > > and we might find ourselves rallying behind a
                        > > lot of motorhomes and campers.
                        >
                        > Good point. I do have electric clothing, but if it's snowing or the
                        > roads are still salt covered I won't be there.
                        >
                        > > Do you have any preferences as to a location?
                        >
                        > If you choose your routes carefully, there isn't a single place
                        > between Asheville, NC and Albany, NY that doesn't have great
                        > motorcycle roads. It all sounds great to me.
                      • Alec Gore - THE ROAD(tm)
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
                          Larry and others

                          I think I could just do with this as an excuse to come and meet
                          with and ride with some of the Yahoo Triumph list guys.

                          This place looks to be the business - http://www.pisgahinn.com/

                          Regards

                          Alec
                          PS Richard Gray from this list is coming to Hong Kong for a
                          family wedding next week, so he'll be the first of the lists I
                          meet and ride with.
                        • reverendskirt
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
                            Alec,

                            If you are seriously planning on attending the rally then you tell us which weekend in
                            May works for you; that's the one will do it on. I've been to the Pisgah Inn many times
                            and thought it would be an excellent place for it.

                            Moto Britalia in Atlanta rents triumphs. Just get in touch with Drew and see what they
                            can work out for you. I live in Atlanta so we can ride our way up to the rally via all the
                            tasty routes there.

                            http://www.motobritalia.com/

                            Cheers
                            Reverend Skirt (Larry)

                            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore - THE

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
                              > I think I could just do with this as an excuse to come and meet
                              > with and ride with some of the Yahoo Triumph list guys.

                              Go for it. You know I've got a bike for you at my place any time you
                              want it.

                              Peter
                            • Alec Gore - THE ROAD(tm)
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
                                Larry

                                Yes, I'm serious. My current contract in HK expires 16th May and
                                I have to begin my remaining leave before that date. It would
                                suit me to have the rally on the 2nd or 3rd weekend in May. That
                                would give enough time to fly to the US, adjust to the time
                                difference and ride (hopefully with Peter) down to the rally
                                venue.

                                Thanks again, Peter, for the generous offer.

                                Jerry Cathbert has mentioned he maybe interested. Scot Dail
                                seems to have gone quiet recently. Anyone else up for this?

                                Regards

                                Alec