cam cap

  • jt66441
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
      I stripped a cam cap a while back putting the valve cover back on,
      and am wanting to replace it. I have tried many breakers and a few
      big name suppliers for the cap,and the reply that i have got back is
      that a new cylinder head must be purchased. I am wondering why i
      would need a new head instead of just a cap?
    • Rick Korchak
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
        When you say you stripped the cam cap, do you mean that you stripped the
        threads in the head? A decent machine shop should be able to fix this,
        although you may have to remove the head. Or did you break the cap itself?

        Rick.

        -------------
        Rick Korchak
        http://www.webbikeworld.com
        A planet full of motorcycle information; product, clothing and helmet
        reviews; maintenance and tech articles and more!

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
          I stripped the hole in the top where the valve cover bolt goes.

          -- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Korchak"
          <rick@w...> wrote:
          > When you say you stripped the cam cap, do you mean that you
          stripped the
          > threads in the head? A decent machine shop should be able to fix
          this,
          > although you may have to remove the head. Or did you break the cap
          itself?

          > Rick.
          >
          > -------------
          > Rick Korchak
          > http://www.webbikeworld.com
          > A planet full of motorcycle information; product, clothing and
          helmet
          > reviews; maintenance and tech articles and more!

        • Alec Gore - THE ROAD(tm)
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
            As Rick said, any proficient shop with a tap and dye set should
            be able to sort that for you. Always beware of steel bolts in
            aluminium holes!

            Regards

            Alec