Missing a couple of bolts off my '98

  • mail4paulc
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
      Went for a 600 mile ride and after I returned I found out that the
      bolts that secure the upper pipe were missing. Luckily the pipe
      stayed on! Also, on the chrome bracket that holds the rear turn
      signals, there are three bolts. Two sit closely together and closest
      to the seat. The third(the one I need) sits at the end of the
      bracket,closest to the license plate. I need to know what sizes all
      three of these bolts are as I have found that the local hardware
      store has been great for supplying bolts and nuts at a 1/3 cost of of
      the dealer.

      Thanks
    • Todd Luchette
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
        Mine fell off as well after my first long ride.

      • pickwickian51@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2003
          In a message dated 10/9/2003 10:17:18 AM Hawaiian Standard Time,
          mail4paulc@... writes:

          > Went for a 600 mile ride and after I returned I found out that the
          > bolts that secure the upper pipe were missing. Luckily the pipe
          > stayed on!

          Other owners posted that the nuts holding the downpipes to the cylinder head
          are either very loose, or as you said, have fallen off. The nuts are torqued
          in a two step process. After installing a new system, with copper gaskets, and
          heading out for a test ride I checked the torque spec and had to torque it
          down again. I did this twice and stopped. It is possible to pull the studs from
          the cylinder head and I didn't want to go there. My guess is that the copper
          gaskets compress to form a good seal but in that process the the downpipes shift
          and settle changing position and leaving the nuts loose.

          Also, on the chrome bracket that holds the rear turn
          > signals, there are three bolts. Two sit closely together and closest
          > to the seat. The third(the one I need) sits at the end of the
          > bracket,closest to the license plate. I need to know what sizes all
          > three of these bolts are as I have found that the local hardware
          > store has been great for supplying bolts and nuts at a 1/3 cost of of

          The bolt in the back is listed as M6 x 20 (T3330555). The ones under the seat
          are M8 x 16 (T3330541 to VIN 107984 and T3200039 after). Anyone know what HHF
          means? Around these parts bolts are only available in 5mm increments so a
          16mm may have to be filed down from a 20mm. Even with this information I always
          take a sample with me to verify my purchase.

          Aloha and Happy Trails,

          Gary Gavin
          98 Thunderbird Sport
          02 Mini Cooper

        • mail4paulc
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2003
            Thanks for the info, but I guess I was a little vague. The two bolts
            I was referring to in regards to the exhaust, are the two bolts that
            hold the upper exhaust MUFFLER to the bracket.

            But the info with the rear bracket helps,thanks again.
          • pickwickian51@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2003
              The bolts that go through the bracket and into the silencer is M8 x 20
              (T3330630). I guess you know that the revnut in the silencer has been known to come
              loose from the silencer body and spin in place. I used anti-seize and
              stainless bolts on my second set of Off-roads. The rivnuts came loose anyway. Of
              course the rust around that area didn't help.