Buzzing Engine

  • lucidgraphicscd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2003
      I recently had the 18,000 mile service done and have not put a significant
      number of miles on the bike yet. But, when I was out yesterday, I noticed the
      engine was unusually buzzy above 4500 RPMs. I could feel my right hand
      getting numb and the additional vibration through the seat made a trip that
      was under 100 miles very uncomfortable.
      Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what might have caused it or
      how to fix it?

      Thanks,

      Carey

      98 TBS
      98 ZX-6R
    • Tom Powell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2003
        Sounds like something was left loose by whoever did the service. That
        does not sound good- I would take it back to the dealer.

        You could try revving the bike briefly to 4500 rpm to see if you can
        identify where the noise is coming from.

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com,
        lucidgraphicscd@a... wrote:
        > I recently had the 18,000 mile service done and have not put a
        significant
        > number of miles on the bike yet. But, when I was out yesterday, I
        noticed the
        > engine was unusually buzzy above 4500 RPMs. I could feel my right
        hand
        > getting numb and the additional vibration through the seat made a
        trip that
        > was under 100 miles very uncomfortable.
        > Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what might have
        caused it or
        > how to fix it?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Carey
        >
        > 98 TBS
        > 98 ZX-6R
      • brucetrophy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2003
          lucidgraphicscd@a... wrote:
          > I recently had the 18,000 mile service done and have not put a
          significant
          > number of miles on the bike yet. But, when I was out yesterday, I
          noticed the
          > engine was unusually buzzy above 4500 RPMs.

          Carey, there is a lot to do at the 18K service. It may be something
          as simple as the chain is not adjusted properly or it could be that
          the carbs did not get synched and were made worse by any valve shim
          adjustment. The best guess is that they left a vacuum cap off of one
          of the two carbs that has them if it is indeed engine related.
          Since I don't have a Tbird sport at the moment (Trophy 900) then I am
          not sure what would have to be removed at the 18K service. Obviously
          the tank so make sure all the fasteners are in place on it.
          Bruce
          99/900