[T TBS R] Re: Engine dies

  • tritbs1998
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
      The tach dropping to zero seems to ring a bell. Perhaps it isn't a
      fuel starvation issue after all. Do you know if the pickup is a Hall
      effecr sensor? If it is it should be a snap to troubleshoot. Also,
      has anyone replaced one of these themselves? Thanks.

      Jim
      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > It could be the crank sensor?????
      >
      > Absolutely, although if I recall correctly when the ignition pickup
      > goes your tach drops to 0 as the engine cuts out.
    • trident_t150v
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
        Don't know about the type, but my mate replaced his himself, said it
        was easy, but both he and I have owned and rebuilt older Triumph
        twins and triples, 'Triumph turning ordinary men into great mechanics
        since 1902'.

        Danny.

        Should be easy if you have a bit of mech. ability.
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
          > The tach dropping to zero seems to ring a bell. Perhaps it isn't a
          > fuel starvation issue after all. Do you know if the pickup is a
          Hall
          > effecr sensor? If it is it should be a snap to troubleshoot. Also,
          > has anyone replaced one of these themselves?

          It's under the right side crank cover and it looks pretty trivial to
          replace. The (disconnected from the rest of the system) resistance
          across the coil should be 530 Ohms +/- 10%. Air gap should be .6-.8
          mm.
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
            > ... it looks pretty trivial to replace.

            Maybe not; the Haynes manual gives it a 3 out of 5 degree of
            difficulty. You'll need a new gasket and something to catch the oil.
          • mickmaguire66
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2003
              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, trident_t150v
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              'Triumph turning ordinary men into great mechanics
              > since 1902'.

              into mechanics, yes, great, no not most of the time in my
              experience. ;o)
            • tritbs1998
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 7, 2003
                I just got back from a quick trip to California in our other toy
                (2001 Miata). I checked the output of the sensor with an
                oscilloscope while it was good and I had a nice series of pulses.
                Ran the float bowels dry and while I was cranking the engine I had
                pulses and the tach showed the cranking RPM. I also measured the
                resistance of the pickup. It was 567 ohms. I turned the gas back
                on, ran the engine until it died (about 10 minutes) and I had no
                pulses when cranking and the tach read zero. I disconnected the
                sensor and measured the resistance again. It read open. Called my
                friendly Triumoh dealer and ordered a new sensor. $73. Should be in
                next week. Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll let you know
                the outcome with the new sensor.

                pickwickian51@a... wrote:
                > Danny writes:
                >
                > > It could be the crank sensor?????
                > >

                > I had my sensor go south this past year. In my case the bike would
                start to
                > misfire for a short period and then stop dead, as if you turned off
                the key,
                > when it reached a certain temperature. It would start again when it
                cooled.

                > The mechanic has a Triumph tool to discover this fault.
                >
                > Aloha and Happy Trails,
                >
                > Gary Gavin
                > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                > 02 Mini Cooper

              • brucetrophy
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 8, 2003
                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, tritbs1998
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > I disconnected the
                  > sensor and measured the resistance again. It read open. Called my
                  > friendly Triumoh dealer and ordered a new sensor. $73. Should be in
                  > next week. Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll let you know
                  > the outcome with the new sensor.

                  Jim, I just replaced mine on my Trophy last week. Let me know if you
                  need any help/advice. By the way, unless you just want it, there is
                  no need for a new gasket. Get yourself some high temp valve gasket
                  sealer, put it on, no leaks. I have had the side cover off 4 or 5
                  times doing valve adjustments and have never bought a gasket. No
                  leaks either.
                  Bruce
                  99/900 Trophy
                  44,800 miles