Re: Engine dies

  • jcatbert45
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
      What year and how many miles? Absolutely check what Peter
      suggested. I had trouble exactly like this and think I finally
      nipped it in the bud. It being clogged fuel screens inside the tank
      (need to drain the tank and remove the petcock). A very simple job,
      just a little PITA. There are 2 screens and my lower one was clogged
      pretty bad. I have yet to fully test it, but I'm 99% convinced that
      was the problem.

      As a quick test; if you top off your tank it may run fine for a
      while. Presumably the lower screen gets clogged first because of
      gravity. The upper screen is for "normal" and the lower
      screen "reserve". Definitely check this stuff before "thinking"
      looking for electrical problems. Oh and install an on-line filter as
      a bit of cheap insurance.

      - Jerry
    • Maurice
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
        I just went through this!!! I had put an inline fuel filter on the bike, and it ran the first time after that for about 20 minutes..then died. I looked, the fuel filter was empty, so i tapped and waited for it to fill. After that, it would run for 10 minutes max. After looking through the Haynes manual, i saw some reference to that tipover valve that Peter (i think) mentioned, so i checked out the valve, and it seemed to be blocked. I removed it, and everything is FINE now. I don't mind the fact that gasoline might cover my corpse if I fall.
        The reason that i put the inline fuel filter, was in fact that i noticed some rust at the top of the tank. I doubt it will ever rust towards the bottom, since there is always fuel there.
        Hope your problem is as simple as mine was.
        jcatbert45 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:What year and how many miles? Absolutely check what Peter
        suggested. I had trouble exactly like this and think I finally
        nipped it in the bud. It being clogged fuel screens inside the tank
        (need to drain the tank and remove the petcock). A very simple job,
        just a little PITA. There are 2 screens and my lower one was clogged
        pretty bad. I have yet to fully test it, but I'm 99% convinced that
        was the problem.

        As a quick test; if you top off your tank it may run fine for a
        while. Presumably the lower screen gets clogged first because of
        gravity. The upper screen is for "normal" and the lower
        screen "reserve". Definitely check this stuff before "thinking"
        looking for electrical problems. Oh and install an on-line filter as
        a bit of cheap insurance.

        - Jerry

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • mickmaguire66
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Maurice
          <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:

          > I don't mind the fact that gasoline might cover my corpse if I
          fall.

          You might mind watching you bike burst into flames if you drop it
          though. without that valve a bike lying on its side will piss out
          fuel all over the engine and potentially onto the exhaust headers.
          Would be kind of a shame to lose a treasured scoot for want of few
          dollars worth of plastic.

          /\\/\\ick...
        • Maurice
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
            true enough....i was thinking to order one, next time i need a few other parts. I was just kind of ticked, that such a small, nothing part could make the bike die so dead
            mickmaguire66 <mick_s_maguire@...> wrote:--- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Maurice
            <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:

            > I don't mind the fact that gasoline might cover my corpse if I
            fall.

            You might mind watching you bike burst into flames if you drop it
            though. without that valve a bike lying on its side will piss out
            fuel all over the engine and potentially onto the exhaust headers.
            Would be kind of a shame to lose a treasured scoot for want of few
            dollars worth of plastic.

            /\\/\\ick...

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • stevens67
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
              Have you checked the spark plugs for dampness?Drying them off and spraying a
              little WD 40 onto them should help,especially after washing the bike or
              after heavy rain.
              > What year and how many miles? Absolutely check what Peter
              > suggested. I had trouble exactly like this and think I finally
              > nipped it in the bud. It being clogged fuel screens inside the tank
              > (need to drain the tank and remove the petcock). A very simple job,
              > just a little PITA. There are 2 screens and my lower one was clogged
              > pretty bad. I have yet to fully test it, but I'm 99% convinced that
              > was the problem.
              >
              > As a quick test; if you top off your tank it may run fine for a
              > while. Presumably the lower screen gets clogged first because of
              > gravity. The upper screen is for "normal" and the lower
              > screen "reserve". Definitely check this stuff before "thinking"
              > looking for electrical problems. Oh and install an on-line filter as
              > a bit of cheap insurance.
              >
              > - Jerry

            • mickmaguire66
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:
                > I was just kind of ticked, that such a small,
                >nothing part could make the bike die so dead

                I hear yah! I wonder what's made yours stick like that, maybe some
                gas got into it and it varnished up over time. Personally I think
                that it's a design flaw that this valve just hangs on that rubber
                pipe. so many people get caught out by this valve after removing the
                tank, they end up with it horizontal or with the pipe kinked then, of
                course their bike wont run. It should have been securely mounted to
                the frame or the tank itself IMHO.

                /\/\ick...
              • Maurice
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                  I had never heard of this part before...and the only way i realized what it was, was when i was looking throught Haynes, and they showed a picture of it, and indicated that this was the way it was to be positioned, and I wondered what could be so important about positioning a drain hose. There's another triumph group on yahoo, and someone had responded that this issue was a fairly commen thread on that user's group.
                  <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:
                  > I was just kind of ticked, that such a small,
                  >nothing part could make the bike die so dead

                  I hear yah! I wonder what's made yours stick like that, maybe some
                  gas got into it and it varnished up over time. Personally I think
                  that it's a design flaw that this valve just hangs on that rubber
                  pipe. so many people get caught out by this valve after removing the
                  tank, they end up with it horizontal or with the pipe kinked then, of
                  course their bike wont run. It should have been securely mounted to
                  the frame or the tank itself IMHO.

                  /\/\ick...

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • STEPHEN EASTRIDGE
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                    To add to the "hose".
                    I just got my 98 TBS...in fact I don't have it my dealer is looking it over. I pulled out the said hose and the mechanic (Great Bay) told me they pull all of them before delivery and replace it with something more relaible. I can't give any more info because it was like speaking in tongues at the time...maybe someone knows what they are talking about.
                    Steve Eastridge
                    98 TBS
                    02 Falco
                    01 TT (Audi)
                    <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:
                    > I was just kind of ticked, that such a small,
                    >nothing part could make the bike die so dead

                    I hear yah! I wonder what's made yours stick like that, maybe some
                    gas got into it and it varnished up over time. Personally I think
                    that it's a design flaw that this valve just hangs on that rubber
                    pipe. so many people get caught out by this valve after removing the
                    tank, they end up with it horizontal or with the pipe kinked then, of
                    course their bike wont run. It should have been securely mounted to
                    the frame or the tank itself IMHO.

                    /\/\ick...

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • tritbs1998
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                      FYI, my bike is a 1998 with 16K on it. The tank was last off at
                      13K. Here's what I did tonight. I yanked the tank off, drained it,
                      removed the petcock, disassembled the gas cap and then put everything
                      back together. I didn't find much (a little crap around the reserve
                      feed) and the problem is still there. I am confused about the tip
                      over valve. Where exactly is it located? I have a Triumph workshop
                      manual (factory, not Haynes) and it makes no mention of this valve.
                      My bike has a gravity fed petcock valve and a vent tube that runs out
                      the back of the tank. That's it. The fuel line from the petcock
                      runs out horizontally then drops down to the carbs. It has been this
                      way since new. Help!!!

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > So...when *is* the last time you had the tank off? Did the tipover
                      > valve wind up horizontal instead of vertical when you put it back
                      on?

                      > Alternately, the next time it does it pop the gas cap and see if
                      you
                      > don't all of a sudden spring to life. In that case it's usually a
                      > clogged vent in the cap itself.
                      >
                      > Or you might want to pop the gas tap out and see if there's a pile
                      of
                      > junk from the tank blocking the intake screen. Rust is not an
                      unheard
                      > of problem, particularly at this time of year when condensation is
                      > having a field day with anything that has an enclosed air space in
                      it.

                      > It's almost never an electrical problem on these bikes but if it is
                      > electrical it's a coil, or the ignition pickup, or very rarely an
                      ECU.

                      > Good luck with it. Let us know what you found.
                    • Maurice
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                        The tipover valve is at the end of the overflow hose that comes out at the back of the tank. Its a little plastic thingie with a ball in it...maybe yours doesnt have it! (in which case, its not clogged)
                        tritbs1998 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:FYI, my bike is a 1998 with 16K on it. The tank was last off at

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                          >My bike has a gravity fed petcock valve and a vent tube that runs
                          >out the back of the tank. That's it. The fuel line from the petcock
                          >runs out horizontally then drops down to the carbs. It has been
                          >this way since new. Help!!!

                          Then yours was removed too. The tipover valve is usually attached to
                          the vent tube at the rear of the tank, like you mentioned. If it's
                          not there, then yours was taken off of fell off. Mine was removed by
                          the dealer at my last visit. They didn't even ask either....kind of
                          ticks me off.

                          - Jerry
                        • tritbs1998
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                            Just checked and there is nothing in the hose. Damn, I was hoping
                            for an easy fix.

                            Jim
                            <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:

                            > The tipover valve is at the end of the overflow hose that comes out
                            at the back of the tank. Its a little plastic thingie with a ball in
                            it...maybe yours doesnt have it! (in which case, its not clogged)
                            > tritbs1998 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:FYI, my bike is a 1998
                            with 16K on it. The tank was last off at
                            > 13K. Here's what I did tonight. I yanked the tank off, drained
                            it,
                            > removed the petcock, disassembled the gas cap and then put
                            everything
                            > back together. I didn't find much (a little crap around the
                            reserve
                            > feed) and the problem is still there. I am confused about the tip
                            > over valve. Where exactly is it located? I have a Triumph
                            workshop
                            > manual (factory, not Haynes) and it makes no mention of this
                            valve.
                            > My bike has a gravity fed petcock valve and a vent tube that runs
                            out
                            > the back of the tank. That's it. The fuel line from the petcock
                            > runs out horizontally then drops down to the carbs. It has been
                            this
                            > way since new. Help!!!
                            >
                            > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
                            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > > So...when *is* the last time you had the tank off? Did the
                            tipover
                            > > valve wind up horizontal instead of vertical when you put it back
                            > on?
                            > >
                            > > Alternately, the next time it does it pop the gas cap and see if
                            > you
                            > > don't all of a sudden spring to life. In that case it's usually
                            > > clogged vent in the cap itself.
                            > >
                            > > Or you might want to pop the gas tap out and see if there's a
                            pile
                            > of
                            > > junk from the tank blocking the intake screen. Rust is not an
                            > unheard
                            > > of problem, particularly at this time of year when condensation
                            is
                            > > having a field day with anything that has an enclosed air space
                            in
                            > it.
                            > >
                            > > It's almost never an electrical problem on these bikes but if it
                            is
                            > > electrical it's a coil, or the ignition pickup, or very rarely an
                            > ECU.
                            > >
                            > > Good luck with it. Let us know what you found.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            Service.

                          • mickmaguire66
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                              See:

                              http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?
                              set_albumName=album04&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=index&include=v
                              iew_album.php&page=2

                              for pictures of the valve and its correct location.

                              HTH
                              /\/\ick...
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                                > I yanked the tank off, drained it, removed the petcock,
                                > disassembled the gas cap and then put everything back
                                > together. I didn't find much (a little crap around the
                                > reserve feed) and the problem is still there.

                                I'd do one last check at the fuel supply end of things by popping the
                                fuel line off the carbs, turning on the tap and making sure that it
                                will flow at least 1/2 gallon at a reasonable rate with the gas cap
                                on. The reason I keep picking on the fuel delivery system is because
                                what you're describing sounds very much like classic fuel starvation
                                to me.
                              • trident_t150v
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                                  It could be the crank sensor?????
                                  It sort of does this stop start thing.
                                  I had a mate that had it happen on his TB and it turned a 30 minute
                                  trip into a couple of hours.

                                  Danny.
                                • pickwickian51@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 1, 2003
                                    Mick writes:

                                    > so many people get caught out by this valve after removing the
                                    > tank, they end up with it horizontal or with the pipe kinked then, of
                                    > course their bike wont run. It should have been securely mounted to

                                    I lost mine years ago and didn't even know it. I don't think the dealer (at
                                    the time) did either. They replaced the hose but not the valve. Through my
                                    own fault I have lost a couple of more hoses. After the last one I put a zip
                                    tie around the hose and frame where the hose heads for the ground. If I
                                    forget to remove the hose when pulling the tank, the zip tie anchors the hose
                                    and it pops off the tank. If I forget put the hose back on, at least it's
                                    still hanging there.

                                    Aloha and Happy Trails,

                                    Gary Gavin
                                    98 Thunderbird Sport
                                    02 Mini Cooper

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
                                      > It could be the crank sensor?????

                                      Absolutely, although if I recall correctly when the ignition pickup
                                      goes your tach drops to 0 as the engine cuts out.
                                    • pickwickian51@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
                                        Danny writes:

                                        > It could be the crank sensor?????

                                        I had my sensor go south this past year. In my case the bike would start to
                                        misfire for a short period and then stop dead, as if you turned off the key,
                                        when it reached a certain temperature. It would start again when it cooled.

                                        The mechanic has a Triumph tool to discover this fault.

                                        Aloha and Happy Trails,

                                        Gary Gavin
                                        98 Thunderbird Sport
                                        02 Mini Cooper

                                      • tritbs1998
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
                                          The tach dropping to zero seems to ring a bell. Perhaps it isn't a
                                          fuel starvation issue after all. Do you know if the pickup is a Hall
                                          effecr sensor? If it is it should be a snap to troubleshoot. Also,
                                          has anyone replaced one of these themselves? Thanks.

                                          Jim

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
                                            Don't know about the type, but my mate replaced his himself, said it
                                            was easy, but both he and I have owned and rebuilt older Triumph
                                            twins and triples, 'Triumph turning ordinary men into great mechanics
                                            since 1902'.

                                            Danny.

                                            Should be easy if you have a bit of mech. ability.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
                                              > The tach dropping to zero seems to ring a bell. Perhaps it isn't a
                                              > fuel starvation issue after all. Do you know if the pickup is a
                                              Hall
                                              > effecr sensor? If it is it should be a snap to troubleshoot. Also,
                                              > has anyone replaced one of these themselves?

                                              It's under the right side crank cover and it looks pretty trivial to
                                              replace. The (disconnected from the rest of the system) resistance
                                              across the coil should be 530 Ohms +/- 10%. Air gap should be .6-.8
                                              mm.
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 2, 2003
                                                > ... it looks pretty trivial to replace.

                                                Maybe not; the Haynes manual gives it a 3 out of 5 degree of
                                                difficulty. You'll need a new gasket and something to catch the oil.
                                              • mickmaguire66
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 4, 2003
                                                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, trident_t150v
                                                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                                  'Triumph turning ordinary men into great mechanics
                                                  > since 1902'.

                                                  into mechanics, yes, great, no not most of the time in my
                                                  experience. ;o)
                                                • tritbs1998
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 7, 2003
                                                    I just got back from a quick trip to California in our other toy
                                                    (2001 Miata). I checked the output of the sensor with an
                                                    oscilloscope while it was good and I had a nice series of pulses.
                                                    Ran the float bowels dry and while I was cranking the engine I had
                                                    pulses and the tach showed the cranking RPM. I also measured the
                                                    resistance of the pickup. It was 567 ohms. I turned the gas back
                                                    on, ran the engine until it died (about 10 minutes) and I had no
                                                    pulses when cranking and the tach read zero. I disconnected the
                                                    sensor and measured the resistance again. It read open. Called my
                                                    friendly Triumoh dealer and ordered a new sensor. $73. Should be in
                                                    next week. Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll let you know
                                                    the outcome with the new sensor.

                                                    Jim

                                                    pickwickian51@a... wrote:
                                                    > Danny writes:
                                                    >
                                                    > > It could be the crank sensor?????
                                                    > >

                                                    > I had my sensor go south this past year. In my case the bike would
                                                    start to
                                                    > misfire for a short period and then stop dead, as if you turned off
                                                    the key,
                                                    > when it reached a certain temperature. It would start again when it
                                                    cooled.

                                                    > The mechanic has a Triumph tool to discover this fault.
                                                    >
                                                    > Aloha and Happy Trails,
                                                    >
                                                    > Gary Gavin
                                                    > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                                                    > 02 Mini Cooper

                                                  • brucetrophy
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 8, 2003
                                                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, tritbs1998
                                                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                                      > I disconnected the
                                                      > sensor and measured the resistance again. It read open. Called my
                                                      > friendly Triumoh dealer and ordered a new sensor. $73. Should be in
                                                      > next week. Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll let you know
                                                      > the outcome with the new sensor.

                                                      Jim, I just replaced mine on my Trophy last week. Let me know if you
                                                      need any help/advice. By the way, unless you just want it, there is
                                                      no need for a new gasket. Get yourself some high temp valve gasket
                                                      sealer, put it on, no leaks. I have had the side cover off 4 or 5
                                                      times doing valve adjustments and have never bought a gasket. No
                                                      leaks either.
                                                      Bruce
                                                      99/900 Trophy
                                                      44,800 miles