Re: Ohlins shock on TBS?

  • tbirdsp
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2003
      What do you mean by "hydraulic preload adjuster"???
      Mike S. '98 TBS

      --- In
      triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "fagelsjovagen4"
      <anders.anna.strand@s...> wrote:
      > Hello!
      >
      > I wonder if there is anyone at this forum who has tried out the
      > Ohlins rear shock on TBS?
      > I want the hydraulic preload adjuster on my bike as I often ride
      with
      > passenger. Does anyone has an opinion on this shock?
      >
      > /Anders
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2003
        I concur! Huge difference. If you only do one mod on the bike,
        this is the one to do. Worth more in the extra mph round corners
        than any engine mod.

        Regards

        Alec

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2003
          > I have the Ohlins shock on my '99 T'bird. It made a huge positive
          > difference to the handling of my bike. The best money I have spent
          > on it really. However, I don't know how good the stock TBS shock
          is,
          > so I can't say if you will get as big an improvement as I did.

          From my experience I would say that the stock shock on the TBS is a
          much better shock than the stock one on the Legend (and I assume '99+
          Tbirds as well). That having been said, I've never so much as heard
          of anybody who didn't absolutely love the Ohlins.
        • tbirdsp
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
            I agree with Peter. The stock TBS shock is damn good. I can find
            nothing to complain about, street or even track use.
            I'm sure the Ohlins is probably even better though.
            Mike S. '98 TBS

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            >> From my experience I would say that the stock shock on the TBS is
            > much better shock than the stock one on the Legend (and I
            assume '99+
            > Tbirds as well). That having been said, I've never so much as
            heard
            > of anybody who didn't absolutely love the Ohlins.
          • brianposullivan
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
              It's a wonderful invention - the old Speed Triple's, Daytona's etc
              have a hydraulic preload adjuster on the stock shocks. It means you
              don't need C-spanners to adjust the rear-spring pre-load/ride height -
              you just turn a dial and a hydraulic ram automatically compresses or
              releases the spring.

              I really miss the hydraulic preload on the TBS - apart from the
              obvious advantage carrying a pillion/luggage, it really helps squeeze
              an extra 2000 miles out of a set of tyres: Before, I'ld change the
              tyres when the handling went off even though there was still enough
              grip and water-displacing tread to last longer. With a hydraulic
              dial, I can just keep cranking the pre-load up until the tyres are
              genuinely worn enough to replace.

              ...an ohlin's is also on my 'wish list' because after 20000 miles my
              bike 'weaves' much more than it used too when I'm 'on a mission' in
              the mountains...

              Cheers,
              Brian

              '99 TBS
              had it 2 years and I love it more each ride... a keeper.

              '00 Quantum Xtreme
              http://www.quantumcars.co.uk/index2.htm an honary motorbike..

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, tbirdsp