Re: [T TBS R] For Sale

  • Brian Schlaadt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2003
      Peter,
      Now that you have had the TBS for some time how does it compare to the Legend?
      Do you notice the claimed extra 15HP?
      Regards Brian S
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2003
        Hi Brian,

        > Now that you have had the TBS for some time how does it compare to
        the Legend?

        I very much prefer the TBS to the Legend, mostly because I enjoy
        pushing the envelope occasionally and the TBS is much better at that
        kind of riding. The TBS has significantly better suspension than the
        Legend. It has much more cornering clearance. It's steering is more
        to my taste (although most of the lightness in the Legend's steering
        could easily be relieved by simply changing the handlebars).

        About the only thing on the negative side is the TBS' seating. To my
        butt the Legend is far more comfortable to ride for any significant
        distance. I'm working on that, though.

        > Do you notice the claimed extra 15HP?

        If there's 15 extra hp in there, then 10 of the extra horses are
        living in the last 500 rpm on the tach. Acceleration at high RPM in
        3rd gear on the TBS is noticeably quicker, but by the time you get to
        5th gear the difference has become insignificant. I certainly
        wouldn't be willing to pay much money at all to boost the Legend's hp
        up to that of the TBS. Top speed on both of my TBSs and the Legend is
        an indicated 120mph.

        Peter
        '00 TBS
        '99 TBS
        '67 Metralla MkII
      • tbirdsp
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 13, 2003
          Peter, just curious, is that with the TBS in 6th gear?
          Mike Stenger '98 TBS

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 13, 2003
            > Peter, just curious, is that with the TBS in 6th gear?

            5th or 6th. In 5th I'm tached out at 120mph (just like the Legend
            used to do), in 6th they run out of steam.
          • tbirdsp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
              Cool, that's what I figured. I didn't have time to look at my speedo
              when I went to the track, too many liter bikes blowing by me on the
              2300 ft straight ;-)
              I purposely kept it to around 100 actually, no sense blowing her up.
              I caught a lot of 'em in the corners, which tells you the ones I
              caught were REALLY bad riders ;-)
              I picked up a little 250 Ninja I'm setting up for the track. No
              power, but 304 lbs and a 14,000 rpm redline should be fun :-)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
                > I picked up a little 250 Ninja I'm setting up for the track. No
                > power, but 304 lbs and a 14,000 rpm redline should be fun :-)

                What, no RZ350? :O) That sounds like alot of fun to me. Little bikes
                are always a hoot in corners. Unfortunately (or fortunately,
                depending on whether or not you're my daughter's boyfriend), at this
                point my wife would shoot me if one more bike showed up.
              • tbirdsp
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > I picked up a little 250 Ninja I'm setting up for the track. No
                  > > power, but 304 lbs and a 14,000 rpm redline should be fun :-)
                  > What, no RZ350? :O) That sounds like alot of fun to me. Little
                  bikes
                  > are always a hoot in corners.

                  I picked this '95 Ninja up for a lot less than an RZ would be, don't
                  really want to mess with a 2-smoke either. There IS a nice one on
                  eBay though... ;-)
                  Pretty much gonna upgrade suspension and tires and leave the motor
                  alone, concentrate on corner speed. If I really get into the track
                  thing, I may get rid of it for an SV650 someday.

                  Unfortunately (or fortunately,
                  > depending on whether or not you're my daughter's boyfriend), at
                  this
                  > point my wife would shoot me if one more bike showed up.

                  I'm about at that point, but even I would have trouble justifying
                  more than the 4 I have ;-) My wife is very cool though, as long as
                  her car goes in the garage I can pack my side with bikes ;-)
                  Right now have to worry about dirty diapers more than boyfriends,
                  but I dread what's comin ;-)
                  Hey, saw a cool "Bike Week" on Speed Channel all about Hugh's
                  Bultaco in NY. Did you catch it?
                  Mike Stenger '98 TBS
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 15, 2003
                    > Hey, saw a cool "Bike Week" on Speed Channel all about Hugh's
                    > Bultaco in NY. Did you catch it?

                    I missed it. Hugh's shop is about one hour from me and he was always
                    my Bultaco dealer. Did they show pictures of his "Bultaco Museum"?
                    That's one nifty pile of Bultacos he's got stuffed away in that barn
                    of his.

                    Hugh is a true Bultaco fanatic, and I don't think you can find a guy
                    who has more of'em or knows better how to keep them humming happily.
                    He *does* tend to be a bit of a pirate, though. He'll offer you $800
                    for that "ratty old" Metralla of yours and sell you a nicely
                    refurbished one for only $4500. To his credit, though, his
                    restorations are absolutely beautiful.

                    I'm still half pissed at him because he wouldn't sell me Barbie's (his
                    wife's) virtually unused Metralla GTS back in the late '70s. Senor
                    Bulto (founder and owner of the company...his name was Bulto...his
                    friends called him Paco...hence Bultaco) had just decided not to
                    produce the 360cc Montjuic, for which I had already placed an order
                    with Hugh just from the previews and its race performance (that sucker
                    ate Ducs, Laverdas, Triumphs, Nortons, you name it, as snacks at the
                    24 Horas de Montjuic). I'd already sold my '75 RD350 to make my down
                    payment on the Montjuic so I was stuck with no roadbike, Hugh had the
                    only modern Bul road bike for hundreds of miles around, and he
                    wouldn't sell it to me. Needless to say I was not happy. Heck, I'm
                    still looking for one of those damned things.

                    On the plus side, the 1976 350cc Bultaco Matador (which he talked me
                    into taking instead of the Montjuic, and I later sold to a friend,
                    whom I have since advised to hang onto the bike) is one of the very
                    very few Bultaco models he does *not* have in his museum. What goes
                    around... :O)