Cold fork oil

  • Rick @ wBW
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2003
      Hi all:
      Went out for a ride today -- 34 degrees and 14 mph winds! Let's just say it
      was brisk. I'm testing out some Rukka windproof underwear, so I had to do
      it!

      Anyway, I noticed that the TBS felt much smoother in the front suspension.
      It didn't have any of the semi-nervous 'chatter' that I've had in the past,
      where the fork feels like it's constantly working up and down, no matter
      what the road or what the settings. So I'm wondering if the weather has
      anything to do with it? I'm assuming the cold probably makes the fork oil
      get pretty thick -- the bike's been sitting in the garage for a week or so
      with temps in the 30's. I went to 10 weight when I changed it recently, I
      wonder if I should have gone even thicker, so I would get the same effect in
      warmer weather? Anyone know what's the equivalent in thick fork oil to
      suspension settings, i.e., does thicker oil equate to adding more rebound or
      compression damping?

      Thanks,
      Rick.

      ---------
      Rick Korchak
      rick@...

      http://webBikeWorld.com
      A planet full of motorcycle information, news, information, product reviews
      and more!
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2003
        > I'm assuming the cold probably makes the fork oil get pretty thick

        Yes.

        > does thicker oil equate to adding more rebound or compression
        > damping?

        Yes.