Re: [T TBS R] Re: TBS won't fire - any diagnostic ideas?

  • Maurice
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 16, 2002
      Hmm...didnt think of the side stand switch (new to
      T'birds)...but, usually, the simpler, cruder things
      fail first (causing you to waste much time checking
      the more complex!)

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • tbs_boy
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 16, 2002
        Always looking for a cheap way out myself, so I'm always checking the
        small stuff ;-). A new igniter box does not sound cheap (hence
        looking there last), but I fear that Peter may be onto something.

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Maurice
        <sazerac99us@y...> wrote:
        > Hmm...didnt think of the side stand switch (new to
        > T'birds)...but, usually, the simpler, cruder things
        > fail first (causing you to waste much time checking
        > the more complex!)
        > <snip>
      • Maurice
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 16, 2002
          Keep us posted!! I'd love to learn from your
          misfortune :)

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 16, 2002
            > Should I ask Santa for another TBS, you know, just in case this
            > happens again? "Gee, Dear, it sure is nice to have 2 of the same
            > bike/car/tractor etc. at times like this so that you can swap parts
            > to do diagnostic work..."

            Funny you should mention that...

            Peter
            '00 TBS
            '99 TBS
            '67 Metralla

            :O)
          • pickwickian51@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 17, 2002
              Hey Tom,

              On mine the ignition pickup went out. In my case it would stop sending a
              signal when it got hot, about the time the fan came on. Once it cooled down
              it would work again. That's not like your situation but I will guess that the
              unit could fail completely.

              I feel you can rule out the ignition switch, which also failed a little over
              a week ago. In that case I drove to work OK. After work, trying to head home
              it was like the battery was dead. The key may be that the only lights working
              will be the emergency flashers and turn signals will function.

              The flooding thing is still something to think about. When I picked up my
              bike on Saturday it took several cranks to get it going. The mechanic rushed
              over in a panic saying "dude, it started up just fine yesterday!" I let him
              know that the petcock had been left in the on position which always makes it
              difficult to fire up. I had been using my wife's Sportster, which needs full
              *choke* and a twist of the throttle to fire on the first thumb. I made the
              mistake of twisting the throttle and it took even longer to get the TBS fired.

              Aloha and Happy Trails,

              Gary Gavin
              98 Thunderbird Sport
              02 Mini Cooper

            • tbs_boy
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2002
                Thanks for the advice, Gary. Unfortunately, after scraping the 4
                inches of ice and snow off my car on Monday night, getting the TBS
                ready to run was not a top priority, so I haven't done a laying on of
                hands yet to check spark. I'm betting it's dead, but if not it
                almost has to be flooding. It's supposedly warming up into the 50's
                this weekend, so it will be a top priority tonight or tomorrow ;-)

                Aloha from the icy Northeast,
                Tom P.

                pickwickian51@a... wrote:
                > Hey Tom,
                >
                > On mine the ignition pickup went out. In my case it would stop
                sending a
                > signal when it got hot, about the time the fan came on. Once it
                cooled down
                > it would work again. That's not like your situation but I will
                guess that the
                > unit could fail completely.
                >
                > I feel you can rule out the ignition switch, which also failed a
                little over
                > a week ago. In that case I drove to work OK. After work, trying to
                head home
                > it was like the battery was dead. The key may be that the only
                lights working
                > will be the emergency flashers and turn signals will function.
                >
                > The flooding thing is still something to think about. When I picked
                up my
                > bike on Saturday it took several cranks to get it going. The
                mechanic rushed
                > over in a panic saying "dude, it started up just fine yesterday!" I
                let him
                > know that the petcock had been left in the on position which always
                makes it
                > difficult to fire up. I had been using my wife's Sportster, which
                needs full
                > *choke* and a twist of the throttle to fire on the first thumb. I
                made the
                > mistake of twisting the throttle and it took even longer to get the
                TBS fired.

                > Aloha and Happy Trails,
                >
                > Gary Gavin
                > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                > 02 Mini Cooper

              • tbs_boy
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 22, 2002
                  > so I haven't done a laying on of hands yet to check spark. I'm
                  > betting it's dead, but if not it almost has to be flooding. It's
                  > supposedly warming up into the 50's this weekend, so it will be a
                  > top priority tonight or tomorrow ;-)

                  > Aloha from the icy Northeast,
                  > Tom P.

                  Well, mystery almost solved on the allegedly misfiring TBS. Pulled
                  the #3 plug to check for spark, and no problem (not as strong as I'd
                  like, but the battery wasn't fully charged when I checked it). Put
                  the plug back, removed the #1 filter (K&N pods), and sprayed a little
                  carb cleaner in the intake while cranking. Backfire from the carb,
                  but still won't start. Rather than flooding, seemed like too lean,
                  but by now I'm convinced the spark is not the issue.

                  Covered the intake with my hand (poor man choke), engine started and
                  instantly ran up to redline. Shut it down, and checked the throttle
                  to make sure the plates were fully closed. Sure enough, throttle was
                  being held open by a kink in the throttle cable where it connnects to
                  the carbs. How it got there is the "almost solved" part of the
                  mystery, but I fixed the kink and I was off to the races. Running
                  perfectly.

                  Temps here were in the low '50s today and the roads were dry, so I
                  was mighty pleased to have the TBS out and running earlier today.
                  Hope that the rest of you stuck in the frozen Northern US were
                  equally blessed by the weather gods.

                  Regards,
                  Tom P.