RE: [T TBS R] Valve Clearances

  • Niles Reichardt
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
      Mick-
      Good answer. Thanks.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: mickmaguire66 [mailto:mick_s_maguire@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 7:04 PM
      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Valve Clearances

      for direct acting cams the use of shims to take up the clearance
      rather than some sort of dial in adjuster comes purely down to cost.
      sure you can use a hydraulic lifter as well, but again these are
      expensive. In pushrod engines it didnt cost very mch to add some
      adjustment into the tappets, but adjustable bucket tappets require
      much more high tech. the reason that the cams are direct acting is
      that you gain much more stable, precise valve timing so can gain
      better performance from the engine. For mechanics doing it on a
      regular basis valve shimming is no big deal, the key is to have a
      good supply of all sizes of shim.

      HTH
      /\/\ick

    • macboots
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
        There is a slight loss in power using hydraulic self-adjusters. Not
        entirely sure why, anyone else know?

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., "Niles Reichardt"
        <nlr@v...> wrote:
        > This brings up a philosophical question that I have pondered for
        some time; but never bothered to bring up. What is the mechanical
        advantage of adjusting valves with shims?? I've got to admit I kinda
        think it may be taking the "proven technology" idea a bit too far. I
        guess I can see that self-adjusting valves could self-screw up. Does
        this just add more of that English character to the bike or what??

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • tbirdsp
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
          Since there's what amounts to a fluid coupling in the valve train,
          the valve timing isn't as precise as the solid mechanical linkage.
          Explained better in the previous post by Mick.
          Mike Stenger '98 TBS

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., macboots <no_reply@y...>