[T TBS R] Re: Foot Lever

  • tbs_maven
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 9, 2002
      Your "gorgeous tall brunette sales woman in leather pants"
      now works for TMA (and probably reads this list). She coordinates
      their events and just completed the TAA ride. She was on a blue
      Sprint ST in Ohio and showed great restraint and tolerance for us
      duffers she had to ride with.
      The guy from the AMA mag, American Motorcyclist, interviewed her at
      length at Hinds and took some photos. The story about the ride
      should show up in a couple months.

      Lew
      '98 TBS
    • splitracer
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 10, 2002
        Damn I hope she reads this list.....I'll keep an eye out for that
        article. The most I dealt with her was buying a Thunderbird belt
        buckle, but I could see how it would be difficult not to wind up
        leaving with a Speed Triple or two.
      • splitracer
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7, 2002
          Hey Jerry - wanted to update you and thank you again for the lever
          you
          sent me. As it turns out - I haven't had to drill my shift shaft.
          The
          new lever you sent me was much tighter and really bit down and stayed
          -
          which is excellent. I guess my shifter may have bent and couldn't be
          tightened enough. Thanks - I'm on the road again.

          John
        • jcatbert45
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7, 2002
            >Hey Jerry - wanted to update you and thank you again for the lever
            >you sent me. As it turns out - I haven't had to drill my shift
            >shaft. The new lever you sent me was much tighter and really bit
            >down and stayed which is excellent. I guess my shifter may have
            >bent and couldn't be tightened enough. Thanks - I'm on the road
            >again.
            > John

            Good news glad to hear it and be of service ;o)

            I wasn't in Brooklyn today but did visit the Bronx. Went to the
            zoo. It's an amazing oasis admist the most urban jungle anyone could
            imagine. The outbound traffic this AM was backed up for miles.
            Driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway is horrible. I feel sorry for
            commuters in and out of the city. It sure ain't for me. I saw one
            Jap. bike and a MotoGuzzi and that was it. You'd have to be nuts to
            commute by bike. What an awesome day it was though! I didn't ride
            all day, can't wait for my suburban commute tomorrow!
          • splitracer
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 27, 2002
              Hey Gary, can you explain why when you put Thunderbird controls on a
              TBS the shift pattern is reversed? I have a 99 TBS with the body and
              controls of a standard Thunderbird and my shift pattern is 1 up five
              down....I never was given an explanation why the pattern is reversed.
              Thanks
              John.

              In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., pickwickian51@a... wrote:

              > > Does a regular T-Bird one fit? I have a spare you can have if it
              > > fits.
              >
              > Well, yes and no. The Thunderbird shifter does not use the rearset linkage so
              > it requires that you add the Thunderbird footpeg mounts and related bits and
              > pieces as well. From what I understand the shift pattern will be reverse as
              > well. Try contacting Sprint Manufacturing in England (link in the BOOKMARK
              > section), they break Hinckley wrecks.
              >
              > Aloha and Happy Trails,
              >
              > Gary Gavin
              > 98 Thunderbird Sport
              > 02 Mini Cooper

            • tbirdsp
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 27, 2002
                John, I'm not looking at my bike right now so I don't know exactly
                which way everything moves BUT,
                The TBS has a linkage, i.e. the shifter acts on a rod which then acts
                on a short lever attached to the shifter shaft. The standard T'bird
                lever attaches directly to the shift shaft, so the action is reversed.
                Hope this makes sense.
                Mike Stenger '98 TBS

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., splitracer <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hey Gary, can you explain why when you put Thunderbird controls on
                > TBS the shift pattern is reversed? I have a 99 TBS with the body
                and
                > controls of a standard Thunderbird and my shift pattern is 1 up
                five
                > down....I never was given an explanation why the pattern is
                reversed.
                > Thanks
                > John.
                ]
              • splitracer
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 27, 2002
                  Great,makes perfect sense thanks.
                  One other question. My T bird came minus a licence plate lamp. I
                  found the bulb socket under my rear fender and replaced the bulb. Is
                  there a hole in which the bulb comes out from the fender (it looks that
                  way in the my manual) Where the hole would be is the bolt for the rear
                  fender reflector.
                  I was thinking of somehow rigging the bulb without having to find out
                  how to get the whole lamp and without it looking shitty - any
                  suggestions. I was thinking that maybe someone who wanted a stripped
                  down look had found a way to have that bulb rigged without the whole
                  chrome housing. (NY state law requires a plate light) Any suggestion
                  would be great, thanks.
                • splitracer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 27, 2002
                      wrote:
                      > Great,makes perfect sense thanks.
                      > One other question. My T bird came minus a licence plate lamp.

                      Heck....have the dealer get it for you; you paid for it, right?
                    • tbirdsp
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 27, 2002
                        Sorry man, can't help you there. I chucked that ugly thing right after
                        I got the bike. No vehicle inspections in Nebraska ;-)

                        wrote:
                        > Great,makes perfect sense thanks.
                        > One other question. My T bird came minus a licence plate lamp. I
                        > found the bulb socket under my rear fender and replaced the bulb. Is
                        > there a hole in which the bulb comes out from the fender (it looks
                        that
                        > way in the my manual) Where the hole would be is the bolt for the
                        rear
                        > fender reflector.
                        > I was thinking of somehow rigging the bulb without having to find
                        out
                        > how to get the whole lamp and without it looking shitty - any
                        > suggestions. I was thinking that maybe someone who wanted a
                        stripped
                        > down look had found a way to have that bulb rigged without the whole
                        > chrome housing. (NY state law requires a plate light) Any
                        suggestion
                        > would be great, thanks.
                      • splitracer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 28, 2002
                          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., jcatbert45 <no_reply@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., splitracer <no_reply@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Great,makes perfect sense thanks.
                          > > One other question. My T bird came minus a licence plate lamp.
                          >
                          > Heck....have the dealer get it for you; you paid for it, right?

                          Well, I bought it from an Independent source, not a dealer. Thanks
                          anyway.
                        • splitracer
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 28, 2002
                            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., tbirdsp <no_reply@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Sorry man, can't help you there. I chucked that ugly thing right after
                            > I got the bike. No vehicle inspections in Nebraska ;-)
                            > Mike Stenger '98 TBS

                            Rats! (no pun intended) I would have taken that ugly sonnofabitch off
                            your hands. Funny in my inspection there was no mention of it.... and
                            this was at a Harley dealership in Brooklyn, go figure.
                          • randyrtbird
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 28, 2002
                              Hello

                              I ordered a Chrome one from triumph and the assembly minus the bulb
                              and socket cost me only 16$. I imagine you could use automotive parts
                              to create the rest . Any PeP Boys auto should have what you need

                              good luck

                              RandyTbird
                              2000 TBS
                              1996 FXD

                              -

                              wrote:
                              > Great,makes perfect sense thanks.
                              > One other question. My T bird came minus a licence plate lamp. I
                              > found the bulb socket under my rear fender and replaced the bulb.
                              Is
                              > there a hole in which the bulb comes out from the fender (it looks
                              that
                              > way in the my manual) Where the hole would be is the bolt for the
                              rear
                              > fender reflector.
                              > I was thinking of somehow rigging the bulb without having to find
                              out
                              > how to get the whole lamp and without it looking shitty - any
                              > suggestions. I was thinking that maybe someone who wanted a
                              stripped
                              > down look had found a way to have that bulb rigged without the
                              whole
                              > chrome housing. (NY state law requires a plate light) Any
                              suggestion
                              > would be great, thanks.
                            • hz536n
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 2, 2002
                                I got rid of the whole assembly and bought a small light bar from JC
                                Whitney that I mounted directly on the plate. Same wattage as the
                                factory bulb and a whole lot cleaner loooking set up. See photo in MY
                                98Y TBS folder.

                                GHT
                              • splitracer
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 17, 2002
                                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., hz536n <no_reply@y...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > I got rid of the whole assembly and bought a small light bar from JC
                                  > Whitney that I mounted directly on the plate. Same wattage as the
                                  > factory bulb and a whole lot cleaner loooking set up. See photo in MY
                                  > 98Y TBS folder.
                                  >
                                  > GHT

                                  That looks sharp - I went to their website - which item is it exactly?
                                  Does it light up the plate well (legal reasons)?
                                  I'd like to give it a try, rather than order the bulky alternative.

                                  How is it to install? looks easy enough. Any info would be
                                  appreciated. Thanks.

                                  John