Coolant

  • hz536n
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2002
      The orange stuff, Dexcool, is and has been the standard GM factory
      installed long life coolant. In addition to longer life and being
      more environment friendly, the main improvement over the green stuff
      is that Dexcool is a non-silica based coolant that is much less
      likely to prematurely wear away (abrasive failure mode) Water Pump
      seals.
      There can be a problem if orange and green coolants are mixed- DO NOT
      DO THAT! The combination can gel, thus reducing cooling system
      performance. If you want to change from either type to the other,
      make certain that the entire system is completely flushed clear.
      The other main cause of Water Pump seal failure is the adhesive mode.
      Poor system fill, wrong system type Cap and/ or inlet hose
      restrictions can lead to air locks. The super heated steam from the
      Water Pump can erode the Pump body and damage the Engine (Piston
      Scuff, etc.) by poor heat rejection performance a.k.a. overheating.
      Lastly make sure that you do not use "pond water" to mix with any
      coolant type. Do it right. Otherwise, you risk forming damaging
      deposits on the inside of the Radiator tubes. The tubes will
      thereafter lose efficiency in transferring heat to the fins and the
      air. This is much worse than any bugs, dirt or crap on the outside of
      the radiator. As I recall, the difference in cooling performance
      loss, inside Vs outside of tubes, is 11:1. (The difference between
      conduction and convection characteristics.)
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2002
        > The orange stuff, Dexcool, is and has been the standard GM factory
        > installed long life coolant. In addition to longer life and being
        > more environment friendly, the main improvement over the green stuff
        > is that Dexcool is a non-silica based coolant that is much less
        > likely to prematurely wear away (abrasive failure mode) Water Pump
        > seals.

        http://www.pacific-audio.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?words=dexcool
        http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Cooling1.html#Dexcool
        http://www.forums.vmag.com/suvjim0199/messages/1613.html
        http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/dexcool_problems.html
        http://www.complaints.com/april2001/complaintoftheday.april30.2.htm
        http://www.penray.com/bulletins/noat_failures.htm
        http://f-body.org/pipermail/third-gen/2001-August/003422.html

        Plus a whole bunch of unhappy Impala SS, Roadmaster, and Corvette
        owners.
      • sah528
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2002
          I have been reading along with this coolant discussion and would like
          to add my two cents. It has been my personal experience that Dexcool
          is basically crap and has been partly to blame for plugged/clogged
          coolant passages(radiators,heater cores,etc) even in a coolant system
          that is not contaminated, been serviced regularly, and is functioning
          properly. The Dexcool theory on paper sounds great, but IMO doesn't
          work- one theory I have heard is that it doesn't react well with the
          combination of heat and aluminum. Find me a modern engine without
          aluminum in it?
          And Ford's version isn't much better- ask almost anyone with a 3.8L
          Windstar,Taurus,Sable, Continental made during early/mid 90's, or any
          involved in the class action lawsuits regarding coolant system
          repairs on above vehicles. I haven't seen any trends with the imports
          (honda/toyota) with coolant related problems. But, as stated by
          another earlier, none of these are compatible with each other or the
          ole' green stuff.
          Based on my personal obsevations, I'll be sticking with the green
          stuff and changing it every year or two in my bikes and cars.
          JMO

          Stewart
        • Matthew Robinson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
            I'm looking to flush and replace my coolant. Does anyone have any recs? I
            found some prestone 50/50 that is silicate free and safe for aluminum
            systems and was planning on using that.

            Thanks.

          • Gary L. Gavin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
              I use the Honda 50/50 because it's for motorcycles.

              It is available in a small container that allows for easily topping off the
              system later.

              I don't have to figure out what might work.

              This does not mean that other 50/50 or mix your own products won't work.

              00 Tiger
              07 Mini Cooper S
              85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
              Oahu, Hawaii