Re: Different pipes...

  • tbsrider2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 5:20 PM
      Yep.. if it sounds right, I will jet it richer... I'm not looking
      for loud as much as a deep sound... When I pulled the stock
      mufflers off, I had to hear it with open pipes... dang.. it was
      loud, but it sounded great.. I will most likely stick some small
      baffles in, to be "legal", but can't wait to open it up a bit..

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., trileg99 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I don't ride a TBS but I do ride a 99 Legend which I just put on a
      > pair of straight pipes with fishtail ends. They are LOUD!! I got
      them
      > from JC Whitney cheap 39.95 a piece. I had to buy the reducers
      > because the pipe id is 1 3/4". They really change appearance and
      > sound and performance of the bike. Also with this pipe setup you
      have
      > to do carb adjustments (Open the air adjustment screws)and to do it
      > right jet it.
      >
      > Trileg99
      >
      > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., tbsrider2000
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > I'm planning on making some straight pipes for my 2000..
      Instead
      > of
      > > having them slant up, I'm going to level them off, probably about
      4
      > > to 6 inches below the passenger pegs..
      > >
      > > I just past 10,000 miles on my TBS! Running like a champ and
      > > getting even better gas mileage! I went on a trip from San
      Antonio
      > > to Canton, TX and back for the SCRC Pine Woods Ralley.. taking
      the
      > > scenic route and was able to get more distance out of a tank than
      > all
      > > the "cruiser" bikes I was riding with.. There has to be more
      > > Triumphs than mine.. There was only two out of 1500 bikes.. :)
      > >
      > > Check it out in it's 10,000 mile condition.. I'll post a pic
      > > shortly..
      > >
      > > Dave Arnold
      > > '00 Thunderbird Sport
      > > San Antonio, Tx
      > > San Antonio Chapter, SCRC
      > >
      > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@y..., tbs98sweden
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Saw this bike on ebay and noticed the "sporstertype" silencer
      > he'd
      > > > fitted on this bike. I think it looks alot better than I
      thaught
      > it
      > > > would do if someone just had told me...It's allways nice to see
      > > > different solutions used on a bike that the aftermarket almost
      > > > completly forgot about.
      > > >
      > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?
      > > > ViewItem&item=1824812876&r=0&t=0
    • reverendskirt
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2002
        i wouldn't switch to the sportster "drag pipes". i know from
        experience on harleys that these pipes really mess up the low
        end of your powerband. they were designed to help the high rpm
        portion of the range at the loss of everything else (like during
        drag racing, duh). so unless someone can show with a dyno
        that they don't affect the bottom of the powerband you might be
        shooting yourself in the foot. besides loud bikes draw the
        attention of the local leos. take a drill to your baffles if you want
        louder.

        besides, from a visual standpoint, the tbs is a massive looking
        bike, and those pipes are pretty small. they look out of place to
        me. this bike is very well proportioned, those pipes aren't.

        just my $.02

        - reverend skirt, hail mary full of torque.