k&n air filter, again

  • thejohnharris
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2002
      I was going to install the k&n pod filters but chickened out. So, I
      ordered the k&n (TB-9095) filter that fits in the stock box. I have
      the off road pipes, dyna jet needle with the clip on the 2nd
      posistion (I think)and the oem jets. I think that I turned the screws
      out 2.5 turns. I live near the cost of NC, I don't know what the
      altitude is. I still get a little popping when I let off the
      throttle. What results have the others had with similar set up with
      the k&n filter. Should I change jetting? Just don't want to have to
      pull the carbs/ air box several times to get it right.

      Thanks
      John Harris
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
        > I still get a little popping when I let off the
        > throttle.
        <snip>
        > Should I change jetting? Just don't want to have to
        > pull the carbs/ air box several times to get it right.

        If you're happy with how the bike is running and the popping is mild
        and occasional, I really wouldn't worry about it.

        That having been said, to my mind the easiest way to check your
        mixture is to do a series of test runs and, at the end of each test
        run, pop your plugs and look at them. At the end of each run, pull in
        the clutch, kill the engine, and coast to a stop. To test the pilot
        mixture, run at about 1/4 throttle for about 30 seconds. To test for
        proper needle height, run at about 1/2 throttle. To test the main
        jets, run at full throttle. When reading the plugs, a white insulator
        indicates a mixture that is too lean, a light tan or pink is just
        right, and dark brown or black is too rich.

        While it's a sequential process (check your pilots, then needles, then
        mains) and it does take some time to do the test runs, most of the
        time you only have to change one or two settings to get dialed in. In
        my experience it's amazing (given a properly operating carburetor) how
        well a bike setup using this relatively easy and straightforward
        process will run.
      • mbeebe900
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
          Hi guys,
          Just wanted to let you all know that I mailed some photos from this
          group to Shawn at TriumphRat.net to post on his site.
          hope that's cool. they were such good photos that I thought they
          should be propogated.

          Matt