Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Terrible MPG

Expand Messages
  • Craig Weidler
    You cannot allow better airflow without adding more fuel. What other adjustments have you made? I Highly recommend the Performance Pro Jet kit, If this is the
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 4 9:41 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      You cannot allow better airflow without adding more fuel. What other adjustments have you made? I Highly recommend the Performance Pro Jet kit, If this is the only change you have made try one jet larger than stock, along with their better needles and pilot jets. triuphrat.net has lots of proven setups for other mods.

      Craig
    • James Tennier
      The middle spark? You mean you want to change that one too? Ugh. It s been a while but I recall using the Triumph tube like plug wrench with a ratchet and
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 6 9:44 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        The middle spark? You mean you want to change that one too?
        Ugh.
        It's been a while but I recall using the Triumph tube like plug wrench with a ratchet and socket from the toolbox to get to it. (Might have been a box wrench in the mix too, as well as a wobbly in too. I used a set of E-3s and was quite happy with them once I found the correct plug number via email from their customer service. THE CAVEAT:  ALWAYS APPLY NEVER SEEZE TO THE THREADS AND REMEMBER YOU ARE SCREWING STEEL INTO AN ALUMINUM HEAD/ THREADS. USE CAUTION! Heads are expensive to pull, and repair-replace... Less torque is plenty.


        From: nicholas.thibault <nicholas.thibault@...>
        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:49 AM
        Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

         

        I understand your point in regard to MPG calculations taking time, but I drive the same route every day. Traffic is the same, and previously I had good consistency on the MPG.
        OFF Topic but, any one know a good way go get to the middle spark plug given the frame blocks it??

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote:
        >
        > IMO, figuring "mpg" is a long(er) term process. On a thousand mile trip I would note the (mileage since last file as I reset the trip meter) at each fill on the pumps paper receipt. Once home I'd check gallons into miles for each receipt. When new I did not remember to write milage down as I got used to the bike.
        > That said, the performance was "lacking imo." I did all kinds of "improvements and picked up 20hp, a lot of noise and settled into about 40-42 mpg.
        > The airbox to 3 carb inlet is no bigger than one carb inlet. That tells us there have got to be "pumping losses" as air is "sucked through" the single opening. From that, draw your own conclusions, but believe me when I say there are consequences to every change one makes. Time and money= performance and heat. my 03 needed a new fan controller as did others (I've read) when only a couple years old. Have you considered changing entire cooling system contents over to Evans Waterless Coolant? Just a thought. (check Leno's Garage youtube bit several months back or Google their site. Stuff works well in my Sprint... Just sayin. 
        > Bottom line =  Consequences of beginning to alter from stock are numerous and must, in turn, be dealt with.  Good Luck.
        >
        >
        > ________________________________
        > From: TONY BOOTHMAN <boothman@...>
        > To: "triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com" <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
        > Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:40 AM
        > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG
        >
        >
        >
        >  
        > I would be very interested in replies as I have a K&N and also heel the heat of the motor and my coolant is full.
        >
        > From: nicholas.thibault <nicholas.thibault@...>
        > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
        > Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:59:02 AM
        > Subject: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG
        >
        >  
        > So, recently I switched out the stock air filter for a K&N filter. As a result, I have started really paying attention to my MPG in hopes of seeing an improvement.
        >
        > I originally averaged around 35-40 dependent heavily on my right hand. The last two days I have been getting 29 and 30, with no drastic change in the performance of the motorcycle. The weather has been a good deal hotter the last few days, and I have noticed a bit more heat from the bike. But, it isn't overheating and my coolant temperature light hasn't been coming on. There is also plenty of coolant in the bike.
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Nick
        >



      • James Tennier
        Denny, Just curious. Removing the tank of my now (gone 03 TBS) was really simple. How did you pull that plug without removing the tank? 
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 6 9:47 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          Denny, Just curious. Removing the tank of my now (gone 03 TBS) was really simple. How did you pull that plug without removing the tank? 


          From: Dennis Henderson <dennyhenderson@...>
          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:44 PM
          Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

          It is [possible to remove the center plug without removing the tank as long as you use the Triumph wrench and a correct socket to fit the top of it.

          I am not saying that is a pleasant experience, but I have done that a few times.
          Thank You,
          Denny

          On Sep 04, 2013, at 02:16 PM, petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



          The plug wrench included in the toolkit works.


          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I understand your point in regard to MPG calculations taking time, but I drive the same route every day. Traffic is the same, and previously I had good consistency on the MPG.
          OFF Topic but, any one know a good way go get to the middle spark plug given the frame blocks it??



        • James Tennier
          Gotta be a way to find, perhaps borrow from another Triumph rider, fab, a tool: something. Dealer might have one from a wrecked bike? Bike Bandit?  ebay? 
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 6 9:50 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            Gotta be a way to find, perhaps borrow from another Triumph rider, fab, a tool: something. Dealer might have one from a wrecked bike? Bike Bandit?  ebay? 


            From: nicholas.thibault <nicholas.thibault@...>
            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:59 PM
            Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

             

            Bought the bike used, so no tool kit. Is the kit specific to the TBS?

            I have the right socket size just wondering if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve to get access...



          • James Tennier
            Also, remove the screw on plug tip before installing with NEVER SEIZE, as the wires won t fasten to the plug with that little thingy still in the plugs tip.
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 6 9:53 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              Also, remove the screw on plug tip before installing with NEVER SEIZE, as the wires won't fasten to the plug with that little "thingy" still in the plugs tip.


              From: "Reichardt, Niles" <nlr@...>
              To: "<triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>" <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
              Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:40 PM
              Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

               

              On Sep 4, 2013, at 2:59 PM, nicholas.thibault wrote:

              I have the right socket size just wondering if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve to get access...

              You need a thin walled plug wrench (that’s why the cheap stamped steel on in the tool kit works best). I usually use a crescent on the drive end ‘cause I can’t get a socket drive in there. Also once it is loose, and to get the threads started when putting it back in, I use a piece of 5/8” garden hose because is grips the plug and is flexible. 





            • James Tennier
              I concur with Gary ________________________________ From: Gary Gavin To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com Sent:
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 6 9:54 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                I concur with Gary


                From: Gary Gavin <gary.l.gavin@...>
                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:19 PM
                Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

                 
                I purchased a thin wall socket, it may even be one for spark plugs with that rubber inside, from Sears. To that I add a u-joint and maybe a 4" extension. The u-joint allows the extension to be put to the side of the frame tube as the assembly is lowered into the pit. Once in place enough room is left for the ratchet to be attached. Retrieval of the spark plug is the reverse.

                This seems funny saying, but the earlier Hinckley bikes came with tool kits strapped to the base of the seat. It possible to get one on ebay as I did for the used Tiger I had. All and all putting together something on your own is no doubt better.

                Gare'
                sent from third stone from the sun


                On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Reichardt, Niles <nlr@...> wrote:
                 

                On Sep 4, 2013, at 2:59 PM, nicholas.thibault wrote:

                I have the right socket size just wondering if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve to get access...

                You need a thin walled plug wrench (that’s why the cheap stamped steel on in the tool kit works best). I usually use a crescent on the drive end ‘cause I can’t get a socket drive in there. Also once it is loose, and to get the threads started when putting it back in, I use a piece of 5/8” garden hose because is grips the plug and is flexible. 






              • James Tennier
                Congrats! ________________________________ From: nicholas.thibault To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com Sent:
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 6 9:55 AM
                • 0 Attachment
                  Congrats!


                  From: nicholas.thibault <nicholas.thibault@...>
                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                  Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:12 PM
                  Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

                   
                  Ok guys, checked under the seat. The seat is aftermarket but from Triumph, so it has the place for it but no tool kit. Went out and bought an 18mm spark plug socket, did wonders for getting the spark plug out after it was loosened.

                  And, checked the mpg today at the pump. Back up to around 40 mpg, so I don't know what could have caused the discrepancy. Bad gas...?! My daily commute is around 19 miles one way at mostly 75 mph so I am sure that is hurting my mpg... Thanks for all of the help guys.

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, John Cooper <john@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On 9/4/2013 7:19 PM, Gary Gavin wrote:
                  > > the earlier Hinckley bikes came with tool kits strapped to the base of
                  > > the seat. It possible to get one on ebay...
                  > You can buy the whole kit new; I did just for authenticity. Or, you can
                  > order the plug socket separately.
                  >
                  > --
                  > John
                  > Skyport East
                  > www.skyportservices.net
                  >



                • Dennis Henderson
                  I skinned my knuckles quite a bit!! ;^) Thank You, Denny ... I skinned my knuckles quite a bit!! ;^) Thank You, Denny On Sep 06, 2013, at 12:47 PM, James
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 6 12:34 PM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I skinned my knuckles quite a bit!!   ;^)
                    Thank You,
                    Denny

                    On Sep 06, 2013, at 12:47 PM, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote:



                    Denny, Just curious. Removing the tank of my now (gone 03 TBS) was really simple. How did you pull that plug without removing the tank? 


                    From: Dennis Henderson <dennyhenderson@...>
                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                    Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:44 PM
                    Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

                    It is possible to remove the center plug without removing the tank as long as you use the Triumph wrench and a correct socket to fit the top of it.

                    I am not saying that is a pleasant experience, but I have done that a few times.
                    Thank You,
                    Denny

                    On Sep 04, 2013, at 02:16 PM, petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



                    The plug wrench included in the toolkit works.


                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I understand your point in regard to MPG calculations taking time, but I drive the same route every day. Traffic is the same, and previously I had good consistency on the MPG.
                    OFF Topic but, any one know a good way go get to the middle spark plug given the frame blocks it??





                  • nicholas.thibault
                    Craig, That is the only change I have made so far. Soon I want to have the carbs jetted and some aftermarkets needles put in, at the same time I intend to
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 6 5:01 PM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Craig,

                      That is the only change I have made so far. Soon I want to have the carbs jetted and some aftermarkets needles put in, at the same time I intend to open up the airbox. From what I have heard, if I try opening it up without adjusting the carbs my bike is going to run terribly.

                      Nick

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Craig Weidler <craig@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > You cannot allow better airflow without adding more fuel. What other adjustments have you made? I Highly recommend the Performance Pro Jet kit, If this is the only change you have made try one jet larger than stock, along with their better needles and pilot jets. triuphrat.net has lots of proven setups for other mods.
                      >
                      > Craig
                      >
                    • James Tennier
                      I can feel your pain. (Did you know it can take a month to check and adjust an 08 Sprint s valves at 18,000 miles? 1)take stuff off to access cams. 2) check
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 6 8:13 PM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I can feel your pain. (Did you know it can take a month to check and adjust an '08 Sprint's valves at 18,000 miles? 1)take stuff off to access cams. 2) check clearances. 3) call dealer for 5 shims. 4) be told they'll come from Georgia. 5) wait 2 weeks. Install, 6) incorrectly overtorque 16 bolts breaking last one. 7) order 16 bolts, thinking they are special. They are not. grade 8 X 6mm X length. 8) recieve 14, with 2 being backordered. Put it together, forgetting to connect coil wires. 9) r&r to connect coils. 10) it works, day before vacation ride to Canada was to begin. 11) Go to Canada. The End)   Seriously.


                        From: Dennis Henderson <dennyhenderson@...>
                        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent: Friday, September 6, 2013 12:34 PM
                        Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

                        I skinned my knuckles quite a bit!!   ;^)
                        Thank You,
                        Denny

                        On Sep 06, 2013, at 12:47 PM, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote:



                        Denny, Just curious. Removing the tank of my now (gone 03 TBS) was really simple. How did you pull that plug without removing the tank? 


                        From: Dennis Henderson <dennyhenderson@...>
                        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:44 PM
                        Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG

                        It is possible to remove the center plug without removing the tank as long as you use the Triumph wrench and a correct socket to fit the top of it.

                        I am not saying that is a pleasant experience, but I have done that a few times.
                        Thank You,
                        Denny

                        On Sep 04, 2013, at 02:16 PM, petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



                        The plug wrench included in the toolkit works.


                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        I understand your point in regard to MPG calculations taking time, but I drive the same route every day. Traffic is the same, and previously I had good consistency on the MPG.
                        OFF Topic but, any one know a good way go get to the middle spark plug given the frame blocks it??







                      • L WASDYKE
                        Had a flash back,  the biggest problem I had with removing the center spark plug was seal of the valve cover gasket.  The seal was snug against the outer
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 7 8:04 PM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Had a flash back,  the biggest problem I had with removing the center spark plug was seal of the valve cover gasket.  The seal was snug against the outer wall of the socket.  I wound up applying a little silicone spray to the socket avoiding getting into the socket drive area.
                          From: James Tennier <tennier@...>
                          To: "triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com" <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
                          Sent: Friday, September 6, 2013 12:44 PM
                          Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG
                           
                          The middle spark? You mean you want to change that one too?
                          Ugh.
                          It's been a while but I recall using the Triumph tube like plug wrench with a ratchet and socket from the toolbox to get to it. (Might have been a box wrench in the mix too, as well as a wobbly in too. I used a set of E-3s and was quite happy with them once I found the correct plug number via email from their customer service. THE CAVEAT:  ALWAYS APPLY NEVER SEEZE TO THE THREADS AND REMEMBER YOU ARE SCREWING STEEL INTO AN ALUMINUM HEAD/ THREADS. USE CAUTION! Heads are expensive to pull, and repair-replace... Less torque is plenty.

                          From: nicholas.thibault <nicholas.thibault@...>
                          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                          Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:49 AM
                          Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG
                           
                          I understand your point in regard to MPG calculations taking time, but I drive the same route every day. Traffic is the same, and previously I had good consistency on the MPG. OFF Topic but, any one know a good way go get to the middle spark plug given the frame blocks it?? --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote: > > IMO, figuring "mpg" is a long(er) term process. On a thousand mile trip I would note the (mileage since last file as I reset the trip meter) at each fill on the pumps paper receipt. Once home I'd check gallons into miles for each receipt. When new I did not remember to write milage down as I got used to the bike. > That said, the performance was "lacking imo." I did all kinds of "improvements and picked up 20hp, a lot of noise and settled into about 40-42 mpg. > The airbox to 3 carb inlet is no bigger than one carb inlet. That tells us there have got to be "pumping losses" as air is "sucked through" the single opening. From that, draw your own conclusions, but believe me when I say there are consequences to every change one makes. Time and money= performance and heat. my 03 needed a new fan controller as did others (I've read) when only a couple years old. Have you considered changing entire cooling system contents over to Evans Waterless Coolant? Just a thought. (check Leno's Garage youtube bit several months back or Google their site. Stuff works well in my Sprint... Just sayin.  > Bottom line =  Consequences of beginning to alter from stock are numerous and must, in turn, be dealt with.  Good Luck. > > > ________________________________ > From: TONY BOOTHMAN <boothman@...> > To: "triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com" <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:40 AM > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG > > > >   > I would be very interested in replies as I have a K&N and also heel the heat of the motor and my coolant is full. > > From: nicholas.thibault <nicholas.thibault@...> > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:59:02 AM > Subject: [T TBS R] Terrible MPG > >  
                          > So, recently I switched out the stock air filter for a K&N filter. As a result, I have started really paying attention to my MPG in hopes of seeing an improvement. > > I originally averaged around 35-40 dependent heavily on my right hand. The last two days I have been getting 29 and 30, with no drastic change in the performance of the motorcycle. The weather has been a good deal hotter the last few days, and I have noticed a bit more heat from the bike. But, it isn't overheating and my coolant temperature light hasn't been coming on. There is also plenty of coolant in the bike. > > Any thoughts? > > Nick >
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.