Re: What and Why?!

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
      Hi Nick,

      I am Craig and I own a 2004 TBS. This Winter I finally decided to get rid of all the horrible emissions stuff on my bike and make it run properly. The first thing to go is the air box, changing to pod filters will make it breath better and reduce the amount of time it takes to remove the carbs to work on jetting. I bought the k&N pods through Amazon, K&N R-1260.

      Before starting on this project you will want to get a set of JIS Phillips, different cut than the standard ones and the screws on the carbs are made of very soft metal, $25 here will save a lot of time in the long run.

      If you want to change pipes now is the time. I purchased a set of Triumph Off-Roads for cheap on E-Bay. The sound is great, not too loud at low RPM, wind her up and she howls.

      Now after these you will need to work on the carbs, this is a bit of trial and error. Factory Pro sells a kit, you do not want the kit, it is set for stock bikes and gives way too little gas for any changes you have made.

      You will want their needles, pilots and a lucky guess on the main Jet size. Depends on how much air you are letting flow on either end.

      Have I confused the issue more? Sorry. If you decide to go with pods you will get rid of the main air-box. keeping the secondary as the side cover bolts to it. Remove any of the vacuum canisters under the tank. By covers for the carb vac ports that you have now opened. (just the ones on top of the carb.

      At this point I would say wait until winter sets in wherever you are. Take off the air-box and decide how much money is it worth to never take that off or put it on again.

      I will gladly give more detail if you decide to do this.

      Craig USMC
    • nicholas.thibault
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30, 2013
        Hoorah Craig,

        Spent a bit of time with your kin at 2nd MARDIV not so long ago.

        I am trying to stay away from the pod filter concept, mainly to preserve the aesthetics of the bike. What I am thinking of doing is emptying out the auxiliary air chamber, removing the fore and middle connector points, and cutting a whole in the smooth plastic on top of it to allow it to function as a tool box. The cover would still go over it, and I will simply get a small allen key to access it.

        I would also like to put a fender eliminator on it, but cant really find one. Any ideas?

        Nick

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <craig@...> wrote:

        > Hi Nick,
        >
        > I am Craig and I own a 2004 TBS. This Winter I finally decided to get rid of all the horrible emissions stuff on my bike and make it run properly. The first thing to go is the air box, changing to pod filters will make it breath better and reduce the amount of time it takes to remove the carbs to work on jetting. I bought the k&N pods through Amazon, K&N R-1260.
        >
        > Before starting on this project you will want to get a set of JIS Phillips, different cut than the standard ones and the screws on the carbs are made of very soft metal, $25 here will save a lot of time in the long run.
        >
        > If you want to change pipes now is the time. I purchased a set of Triumph Off-Roads for cheap on E-Bay. The sound is great, not too loud at low RPM, wind her up and she howls.
        >
        > Now after these you will need to work on the carbs, this is a bit of trial and error. Factory Pro sells a kit, you do not want the kit, it is set for stock bikes and gives way too little gas for any changes you have made.
        >
        > You will want their needles, pilots and a lucky guess on the main Jet size. Depends on how much air you are letting flow on either end.
        >
        > Have I confused the issue more? Sorry. If you decide to go with pods you will get rid of the main air-box. keeping the secondary as the side cover bolts to it. Remove any of the vacuum canisters under the tank. By covers for the carb vac ports that you have now opened. (just the ones on top of the carb.
        >
        > At this point I would say wait until winter sets in wherever you are. Take off the air-box and decide how much money is it worth to never take that off or put it on again.
        >
        > I will gladly give more detail if you decide to do this.
        >
        > Craig USMC

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30, 2013
          Hmmm, I thought about the rear fender and am keeping it for the same reason that you want the air-box. Funny. Here is the link that I have for the fender kit:
          http://maundspeed.blogspot.com/2013/08/triumph-legend-tt-thunderbird-sport.html
          Craig

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "nicholas.thibault" <nicholas.thibault@...> wrote:

          > Hoorah Craig,
          >
          > Spent a bit of time with your kin at 2nd MARDIV not so long ago.
          >
          > I am trying to stay away from the pod filter concept, mainly to preserve the aesthetics of the bike. What I am thinking of doing is emptying out the auxiliary air chamber, removing the fore and middle connector points, and cutting a whole in the smooth plastic on top of it to allow it to function as a tool box. The cover would still go over it, and I will simply get a small allen key to access it.
          >
          > I would also like to put a fender eliminator on it, but cant really find one. Any ideas?
          >
          > Nick
          >
          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <craig@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Nick,
          > >
          > > I am Craig and I own a 2004 TBS. This Winter I finally decided to get rid of all the horrible emissions stuff on my bike and make it run properly. The first thing to go is the air box, changing to pod filters will make it breath better and reduce the amount of time it takes to remove the carbs to work on jetting. I bought the k&N pods through Amazon, K&N R-1260.
          > >
          > > Before starting on this project you will want to get a set of JIS Phillips, different cut than the standard ones and the screws on the carbs are made of very soft metal, $25 here will save a lot of time in the long run.
          > >
          > > If you want to change pipes now is the time. I purchased a set of Triumph Off-Roads for cheap on E-Bay. The sound is great, not too loud at low RPM, wind her up and she howls.
          > >
          > > Now after these you will need to work on the carbs, this is a bit of trial and error. Factory Pro sells a kit, you do not want the kit, it is set for stock bikes and gives way too little gas for any changes you have made.
          > >
          > > You will want their needles, pilots and a lucky guess on the main Jet size. Depends on how much air you are letting flow on either end.
          > >
          > > Have I confused the issue more? Sorry. If you decide to go with pods you will get rid of the main air-box. keeping the secondary as the side cover bolts to it. Remove any of the vacuum canisters under the tank. By covers for the carb vac ports that you have now opened. (just the ones on top of the carb.
          > >
          > > At this point I would say wait until winter sets in wherever you are. Take off the air-box and decide how much money is it worth to never take that off or put it on again.
          > >
          > > I will gladly give more detail if you decide to do this.
          > >
          > > Craig USMC

        • Jim Eichhorn
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 30, 2013
            You could probably make a fender eliminator.  I used the fender eliminator kit from RetroCafeRacer that they make for their solo-seat.  Very nice, but pricey!