RE: [T TBS R] Re: Rough-running TBS revisited

  • KEITH REGELIN
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 15, 2013
      Replace pilot jets w/ same size? Keith '98 TBS

      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      From: sp33d3@...
      Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:40:50 -0700
      Subject: [T TBS R] Re: Rough-running TBS revisited

      Replace your pilot jets and clean your carbs.

      Mario

      Speed Freak's Performance Motorcycles

      Atlanta's European Bike Night (EBN)

    • John Cooper
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 15, 2013
        On 8/15/2013 5:36 PM, KEITH REGELIN wrote:
        > Replace pilot jets w/ same size?

        A lot of folks say they are jetted too lean out the gate and recommend
        going from 38 to 40 as a matter of course. I am running 40's but I have
        pod filters too, and may try 42's soon. Still haven't got it dialed in
        to my satisfaction.

        That said, there should be no need to replace them. A good cleaning
        usually fixes them up. You need to be able to see light through the
        length of the thing and also across the 2 (IIRC) pairs of air bleed
        holes. The 4 tiny holes in a sort of diamond pattern, adjacent to the
        bottom edge of the throttle plate, are also critical.

        --
        John Cooper
        Skyport East
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 15, 2013
          Any chain auto parts house will have it. Squirt tiny bit into the carb inlets if the stock inlet system has been removed. If not perhaps a little in the gas petcock valve to the three carb line will be enough to free the stuck needles. Careful you don't get spray in your eyes!!! Even squirting a touch in the stock side cover inlet might be enough to get her to fire if the batterey is fully charged and such. Don't crank so long that you overheat the starter though either. We're talking "finesse" here.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 16, 2013
            Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I spent a good chunk of time today working on the bike, continuing with the Seafoam treatments. It still seems to be improving, but perhaps that's me being optimistic. I'm really hoping to not have to dig into the carbs.

            > Good luck, and sorry to hear your thinking of selling her. What are you asking?

            I'm sorry to be selling too, but it's time. I just don't ride anymore for a number of reasons, the main one being having a 2-year-old � my wife won't let me strap a car seat to the bike. :-) I also have arthritis, mostly in my lower back, and it's getting to the point where riding the bike isn't comfortable anymore. I took it out today for about 25 miles (on the Palouse Highway, which Niles will know) and was stiff and sore when I got back home.

            -Mike in Spokane, Wash.

          • Mario Zarnich
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 16, 2013
               > Replace pilot jets with same size?

              If it started, idled and ran fine before your carbs got all gummed up then yeah use same size jets.

              > ...there is no reason to replace the pilot jets.

              Yes there is. There is no easy way to be sure the pilot jets holes aren't still partially obstructed after cleaning them, even if they "look" clear. They are very small holes, a v/small amount of (invisible ot the naked eye) obstruction will make a big difference. Just replace them, theyre not expensive, it's th eonly way to be sure they're not still coimpromised. Don't believe me? Thats your privilege but neither did several people I know who wasted a shit load of time re-re-cleaning their carbs and tweakign on them and f@ckign aorund with coils... only to continue to have running problems until they finally just replaced the pilot jets like I told them to in the first place.