Project

  • nicholas.thibault
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 12, 2013
      Just wondering if anyone has played with modification to their TBS and gotten good results as far as increasing HP, fuel economy, torque, etc...
    • James Tennier
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
        Also, you do realize more horsepower AND increased fuel economy are roads leading in opposite directions? Just sayin. I used E-3s and was surprised. 42, 43 to 47, 45, 48 depending and I'm at higher altitude. You never know til you try.

        ________________________________
        Just wondering if anyone has played with modification to their TBS and gotten good results as far as increasing HP, fuel economy, torque, etc...

      • John Shaw
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
          Increased compression leads directly to better gas mileage for instance … really depends on how you ride after the modifications if ya catch ma drift …
          ; -)

          Also, you do realize more horsepower AND increased fuel economy are roads leading in opposite directions? Just sayin. I used E-3s and was surprised. 42, 43 to 47, 45, 48 depending and I'm at higher altitude. You never know til you try.

          ________________________________
          Just wondering if anyone has played with modification to their TBS and gotten good results as far as increasing HP, fuel economy, torque, etc...

        • Christian Teague
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
            Playing with carb settings and less restrictive exhaust helps. I didn't want to get to crazy since I want rideability all year round. I would like to know what is the difference between a TB and a TBS, is it simply timing? The cams and carbs (except intakes) are the same. Are the cams indexed differetly or is it all in the ignition timing?

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
              Exhaust, and marketing hype are the only differences in the engine.

              Cheers,
              Denny

              On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Christian Teague
              digitized the following:

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                I've riden both and there is a little more pop from the TBS. I sure that extra gear helps.

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              • Reichardt, Niles
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013

                  Actually most of the Tbirds had Mikuni carbs not Keihens, but that has much less effect than the marketing hype.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                    Well, from '98 on all TB and TBS had Keihens. I've re-jetted the carbs as well as new needles, emulsion tubes, slides and a K&N filter. It does good but it doesn't have the same hp. That being said I know I could open up the air box and increase the jetting dramatically, but like I said I'd rather keep it streetable.

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                  • B JOba
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                      Have you tried Thruxton needles? I put in a set, and it made a world of difference. Much crisper throttle response and no stumble around 4K RPM after installing a more free flowing exhaust. It also virtually eliminated the popping on over-run and deceleration.

                    • Christian Teague
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                        I'm running a set of the D&D "Hurricane" 3 into 3s. There's no way of ever eliminating popping on deceleration with those :)

                        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      • Richard Fenner
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                          Hey! You're talking about the TBS I loved!!

                          ;-)

                          > On Aug 13, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Denny wrote:
                          >
                          > Actually most of the Tbirds had Mikuni carbs not Keihens, but that has
                          > much less effect than the marketing hype.
                          >

                          > Exhaust, and marketing hype are the only differences in the engine.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Denny
                          >
                          > On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Christian Teague
                          > digitized the following:
                          >> Playing with carb settings and less restrictive exhaust helps. I
                          >> didn't want to get to crazy since I want rideability all year
                          >> round. I would like to know what is the difference between a TB
                          >> and a TBS, is it simply timing? The cams and carbs (except
                          >> intakes) are the same. Are the cams indexed differetly or is it
                          >> all in the ignition timing?
                          >>
                          >> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                        • TONY BOOTHMAN
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                            Talking all this carb stuff my Adventurer came with a K&N filter and I have a stumble/slight miss when warm pulling away. Question dose the K&N allow more air= leaner fuel mixture possibly causing my stumble (OK at all other speeds and loads)?

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                              Mine had the airbox dumped and K&N conicals on. But the real difference is in the Super III pistons and the Speed Triple igniter. Yes, you have to rejet the carbs, blah blah.

                              The other huge differences in mine were a shorter, flatter drag bar that pulled your arms out of the airflow and a Corbin Gunfighter seat ($50 shipped from eBay). Made the world of difference to the handling and rider comfort. Still miss it, but am now firmly addicted to the power and noise of my new Tuono V4!!

                              Cheers,

                              Richard.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 13, 2013
                                Seem to remember the TBS had 82 bhp at the crank? Don't think the standard Thunderbird had that......

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 14, 2013
                                  Lies, all lies. :)

                                  There's maybe a 5-7hp difference between a Tbird with Keihins and a TBS (all of which had Keihins). The 5 speed box is just a six speed box with 6th blanked out. The exhaust is the only real exception. A vanilla Tbird (or Legend or Adventurer) is 1 into 1 and 2 into 1. A Tbird Sport is 3 into 2.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 14, 2013
                                    TB had a single front disc and various differences from the more expensive TBS. Engine done in black rather than raw aluminum as an example...

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 14, 2013
                                      Is it still on the choke? Or not? Try leaving a "bit" of choke on (*if all three tiny scrws are still present and tightly doing their job: this would indicate a slightly lean condition. Not great. Better too rich than too lean. There is not "ignition timing" involved. The igniter is a fully electronic device controlling a spark at the correct moment every 720 degrees of "crankshaft" rotation and 360 degrees of cam rotation.

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 14, 2013
                                        Richard; I believe mine, now gone to the lawyers, '03 came with 72 dynoed rear wheel hp.

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 16, 2013
                                          That's actually "argent" paint not raw aluminum. I had the choice of a TB or TBS at the same price. I chose the TB simply because it was better looking (look at the pics of my bike and tell me different).  :)

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 16, 2013

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 18, 2013
                                              Would you mind elaborating a bit? Forgive me, I am a bit new to motorcycle and while we experience on the subject is broadening I am still a bit behind.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 19, 2013
                                                Nick,

                                                The stock needles on the carburetor model Triumph Classics (twins and triples) have a profile taper that was designed to meet EPA standards (lean). Unfortunately when a free flowing aftermarket exhaust is fitted, the bikes tend to have mid-range flat spot and exhaust pop on deceleration or over-run on downshifting. Triumph fitted the Thruxton (Bonneville variant) with a different taper giving a "fatter" or richer mixture in the mid throttle positions. With proper jetting, needle shimming, and float height, the Thruxton needles can improve throttle response, eliminate the mid-range flat spot, and eliminate almost all of the deceleration popping.

                                                Bruce

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 21, 2013
                                                  Bruce is correct. Biggest issue are the needles. While not cheap the Folks at Factory
                                                  Pro offer a full kit specific to your bike with more (tapered) needles and several jet options that Completely eliminated any flat spots with my carbs running Off road pipes.

                                                  It was about $125 but it worked spot on and figure the extra costs offset
                                                  my time with extra fiddling around.