Re: [T TBS R] Re: 900 idle noise

  • L WASDYKE
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
      I got away with replacing the bolt and using loctite.  Retightening what was there did not work.    Be careful not to damage the o-ring on the alternator.
      I don’t recall where I read this and do not if it is true; it was a caution not to take out the shaft that drives the alternator as a piece could fall into the engine.

      ________________________________
      I was told that the impeller bolt was the recall issue and not the shaft. The head of my bolt sheared off and wiped out the shaft on my alternator. I had another alternator and swapped it out. I talked to the shop and all I got from them was the "recall" bolt assembly. Are you saying that I should have received a new alternator???

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • boothman@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
        First thanks for all the help.
        Second I have the clutch cover off, behind the drive gear for the clutch is the alternator gear with a bolt and washer.Is this the bolt that breaks? Because it's in place and tight.Third there are two "torx" bolts going down over the alternator can I remove these bolts without loosing stuff inside the engine? Thanks Tony. PS are these motors naturally noisy at idle,and me just chasing ghosts..
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, L WASDYKE <lm.wasdyke@...> wrote:

        > I got away with replacing the bolt and using loctite.  Retightening what was there did not work.    Be careful not to damage the o-ring on the alternator.
        > I don’t recall where I read this and do not if it is true; it was a caution not to take out the shaft that drives the alternator as a piece could fall into the engine.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Gary Gavin
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
          To reach the bolt that breaks you need to remove the alternator. Two bolts
          are visible, the third is deep at about the 7 o'clock position. You will
          need an extension between your torx bit and ratchet. IIRC there is a wire
          harness that hides that third bolt. In the several times I attempted to fix
          the dealers failure to correct this issue nothing has ever been lost in the
          deep dark bottomless pit of the motor.

          Gare'
          sent from third stone from the sun

          On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM, boothman@... <boothman@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > First thanks for all the help.
          > Second I have the clutch cover off, behind the drive gear for the clutch
          > is the alternator gear with a bolt and washer.Is this the bolt that breaks?
          > Because it's in place and tight.Third there are two "torx" bolts going down
          > over the alternator can I remove these bolts without loosing stuff inside
          > the engine? Thanks Tony. PS are these motors naturally noisy at idle,and me
          > just chasing ghosts..
          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, L WASDYKE
          > <lm.wasdyke@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I got away with replacing the bolt and using loctite.� Retightening
          > what was there did not work.� � � Be careful not to damage the o-ring on
          > the alternator.
          > > I don���t recall where I read this and do not if it is true; it was a
          > caution not to take out the shaft that drives the alternator as a piece
          > could fall into the engine.�
          > > �
          > >

          > > ________________________________
          > > From: Christian Teague <tritwin@...>

        • TONY BOOTHMAN
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
            Thanks...Off I go torx in hand..Feel a lot easyer now hearing that..Tony

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
              I took the alternator off,the thru bolt is OK the bolt where the cush drive is also OK (see pick) http://www.flickr.com/photos/65533893@N00/
              Are these the bolts? if so is it normal to replace the cush drive rubbers? They look Ok.Thanks Tony.

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, TONY BOOTHMAN <boothman@...> wrote:

              > Thanks...Off I go torx in hand..Feel a lot easyer now hearing that..Tony
              >

              > ________________________________

            • KEITH REGELIN
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                I have heard of someone on this forum (or was it Triumphrat.net?) that welded their impellor. I got an alt. off evilbay for $75 that came off a Kawa ZRX1200. My orig. alt. failed at around 55K miles. Triumph wanted around $900 for one! I have a 1998 TBS, by the way. Keith

                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                From: chadsolomon@...
                Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 22:01:22 +0000
                Subject: [T TBS R] Re: 900 idle noise

                There are two alternator problems with the TBS's. The first is as Peter

                describes. That is the recall issue with the broken alternator shaft.

                However, Tony sounds like he is describing the other problem- a loose or

                broken impeller bolt. This is NOT covered by any recall. I just had

                this happen to my 2000 TBS. The bolt was broken off and I had to have

                the bolt parts extracted. I put in another bolt (grade 10.9) used red

                loc tite and torqued it down to spec (I forget now- 12 lb/ft?) The

                good news tony is that it is a relatively easy job- only three torx

                bolts. Order a new bolt and bellville washer and set of bolts and a new

                seal in case you bugger them up. The bad news is that in less than 4K

                miles the rattle is back. That pisses me off. Now, when I go back in I

                want to have a PERMANENT solution. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't

                just weld the impeller to the shaft? Weld heat? Electric shock?

                Also, the stock alternator is 300 watts. I'd love to go bigger anyway.

                I hear the kawasaki ZG1000 and ZRX1200 alternators are the same denso

                model. That may be a quick winter upgrade. Anyone got any intel on this

                mod?Thanks and good luck Tony,Chad

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes

                wrote:

                > If that's the problem, it will usually change character or sometimes

                go away if you apply a load to the alternator such as the brake light.

                boothman@ wrote:

                > > Hi I have a 96 Adventurer 900 that rattles at idle (fine riding at

                other speeds).I have heard about the Alt bolt breaking on early models.

                Dose anyone have any information on it? and if so how can I check it?

                Thanks Tony