Re: [T TBS R] Starter problem

  • James Tennier
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
      Also, these TBS's go through battery (acid) water. I've gone to a gel and it seems to work as well as the Sprint's gel battery.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
        I have the starter on the bench.  When I attempt to bench test it by oviously connecting positive to the terminal and neg to the bare metal of the housing where the bolts held to the engine I get nothing.  If I touch the negative wire to the spindel the starter turns.

        Is this normal ?

        Also is there any way to assess the sprag clutch from starter opening?

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
          Starter needs rebuilding. Sprags will spin with starter but not engage engine and be noisy doing it.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        • L WASDYKE
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
            Looks like we are on the right track.
            I took the starter apart and found about a tablespoon of brush shavings.  Only concern is the commutator bars are just under 28mm ( per the Haynes manual is within tolerance ) but they are cupped pretty bad.  I’m going to look into if there are any local shops who could rebuild at a fair price if not I’ll give it a go.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
              Check out Pinwall Cycle, they'll probably have a used one. Cheap.

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                If you need to rebuild/replace the starter, here's a new Denso a lot less than Triumph's price.

                http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=14663
              • L WASDYKE
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
                  Thanks for the info on Denso.

                  Do you know if this starter fits all the Thunderbirds thru 2004  as I own a 2002.

                  I hit a brick wall calling Denso to confirm fit and to order the starter.  I was advised that Triumph owned all rights to the starter and it was a dealer only item.  I found another supplier,  possable old stock still much cheeper than Triumph.
                  Larry

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
                    Thanks for the info on Denso.

                    Do you know if this starter fits all the Thunderbirds thru 2004 as I own a 2002?

                    I hit a brick wall calling Denso to confirm fit and to order the starter.  I was advised that Triumph owned all rights to the starter and it was a dealer only item.  I found another supplier, possibly old stock still much cheaper than Triumph.  I just concerned Triumph changed more than the part number.
                    Larry