Re: [T TBS R] Starter problem

  • L WASDYKE
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
      I just checked the voltage it read closer to 14 volt contacts look clean I re clean cant hurt.

      Thanks

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
        Hydrometer test showes the battery is good looks like this might be going from bad to worse.  Going to pull starter next and bench test it.  I have one more obsevation to add;  when I roll the bike in gear forcing the engine to turn over I can hear that the starter also is turning.

        ________________________________
        Do you have a hydrometer? If you've diluted the acid too much then you'd
        have similar problems to that which you described.

        Andy.
        On 26 Jul 2013 18:12, "L" <lm.wasdyke@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > After having the battery run low on water (shame on me) I replaced the
        > battery and the starter doesn't work. When I first replaced the battery the
        > starter would start to turn the engine over then it would stop. If I put
        > the bike in gear and rocked it the starter would again turn over slowly. I
        > thought that the battery might not be charged, charged it for a couple
        > hours and now all I is the click of the solenoid.
        > Any Ideas
        > Larry

      • Dick Winningstad
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
          Most likely it's a battery problem. Get it checked before you look at
          anything else.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
            Sounds like a battery problem to me…

            I have bought new motorcycle batteries that were no good.
            It has happened to me a couple of times.
            They just sat on the shelf too long before being sold.

            Save yourself some frustration, Take the battery to some place that
            can stress (Load) test it.
            Batteries can be able to take a full charge as measured by a volt
            meter but not have enough
            power to turn over a motor and Fire the Electronic ignition at the
            same time.

            Many auto parts stores will test a battery for no charge.

            Some do not have proper equipment to test a motorcycle battery.

            Batteries plus or Interstate batteries usually can do it for you.

            Cheers,
            Denny

            On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:06:02 -0700, Dick Winningstad digitized the
            following:
            > Most likely it's a battery problem. Get it checked before you look at
            > anything else.

          • James Tennier
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
              Sounds like a poor (or possibly corroded) electrical ground situation to me. There are several entercept switches in the starter system, any one of which might be "not quite" making enough contact. Clutch, kickstand, gear selector kill switch all are in series so to speak, plus the starter button and starter and battery pos and neg. See where I'm going with this?

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
                Also, these TBS's go through battery (acid) water. I've gone to a gel and it seems to work as well as the Sprint's gel battery.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                  I have the starter on the bench.  When I attempt to bench test it by oviously connecting positive to the terminal and neg to the bare metal of the housing where the bolts held to the engine I get nothing.  If I touch the negative wire to the spindel the starter turns.

                  Is this normal ?

                  Also is there any way to assess the sprag clutch from starter opening?

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                    Starter needs rebuilding. Sprags will spin with starter but not engage engine and be noisy doing it.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                      Looks like we are on the right track.
                      I took the starter apart and found about a tablespoon of brush shavings.  Only concern is the commutator bars are just under 28mm ( per the Haynes manual is within tolerance ) but they are cupped pretty bad.  I’m going to look into if there are any local shops who could rebuild at a fair price if not I’ll give it a go.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                        Check out Pinwall Cycle, they'll probably have a used one. Cheap.

                        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                          If you need to rebuild/replace the starter, here's a new Denso a lot less than Triumph's price.

                          http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=14663
                        • L WASDYKE
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
                            Thanks for the info on Denso.

                            Do you know if this starter fits all the Thunderbirds thru 2004  as I own a 2002.

                            I hit a brick wall calling Denso to confirm fit and to order the starter.  I was advised that Triumph owned all rights to the starter and it was a dealer only item.  I found another supplier,  possable old stock still much cheeper than Triumph.
                            Larry

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Thanks for the info on Denso.

                              Do you know if this starter fits all the Thunderbirds thru 2004 as I own a 2002?

                              I hit a brick wall calling Denso to confirm fit and to order the starter.  I was advised that Triumph owned all rights to the starter and it was a dealer only item.  I found another supplier, possibly old stock still much cheaper than Triumph.  I just concerned Triumph changed more than the part number.
                              Larry