Re: rims and tires

    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 23, 2013
      +1 on both of the above. Don't do that...
    • MarkFirst Name Zimmerman
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 25, 2013
        I've already got 130/80 in the front. My tbs is cafe. I want big fat tires at bothe ends. I want to push to 130/90 OR 140/90 BUT I CANT FIND THE RIGHT TIRES.

        ------------------------------
        On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 7:46 PM PDT steelman342 wrote:

        >Hey guys. Im buyn new tires. Thinkn about getn these. http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=743 . My question is (before I pull the trigger) I wanna put this same tire on both rims. the rear rim is 4.25x17 and the front is 3.5x17. the tire dimension is 130/90 17r. im just wonderin if this tire will fit both rims and what adverse effect do yall think I might have with running a rear tire in the front, if any.

      • Richard Fenner
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 25, 2013
          Mark,

          With all due respect, Triumph put a lot of money and expertise into building their reputation for superb-handling and -steering bikes. A critical part of that is the type and size of rubber. And I'm 66 and have owned many "cafe racers". I've never seen one with the same size rubber at both ends.

          If you want something like you describe, then perhaps a chopper forum is the right place for advice?

          Just saying....

          Richard.

          I've already got 130/80 in the front. My tbs is cafe. I want big fat tires at bothe ends. I want to push to 130/90 OR 140/90 BUT I CANT FIND THE RIGHT TIRES.

          ------------------------------
          On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 7:46 PM PDT steelman342 wrote:

          >Hey guys. Im buyn new tires. Thinkn about getn these. http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=743 . My question is (before I pull the trigger) I wanna put this same tire on both rims. the rear rim is 4.25x17 and the front is 3.5x17. the tire dimension is 130/90 17r. im just wonderin if this tire will fit both rims and what adverse effect do yall think I might have with running a rear tire in the front, if any.

        • Christian Teague
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 25, 2013
            Dude, that's not Cafe' that's skinny jeans wearing hipster. You can do it but you're going to waist a lot of money and in the long run you'll end up hating it.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          • Winn Willinger
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 25, 2013
              Goodness Gracious Brethren,
                                                           Do not hate the hipster, for one day their multitudes will give ye great rewards, as ye reap thine benefits in reduced insurance rates. Be fruitful, and have multiple motorcycles, as this is the way to salvation.

              Joseph Winn Willinger

              winnwillinger@...

            • Dick Winningstad
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 25, 2013
                You will screw up the handling.

                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 25, 2013
                  Give your TBS away to someone who appreciates it for what it is and
                  get yourself something else to jack around with.

                  Cheers,
                  Denny

                  On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 02:46:46 +0000, steelman342 digitized the
                  following:
                  > Hey guys. Im buyn new tires. Thinkn about getn these.
                  > http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=743
                  > . My question is (before I pull the trigger) I wanna put this
                  > same tire on both rims. the rear rim is 4.25x17 and the front is
                  > 3.5x17. the tire dimension is 130/90 17r. im just wonderin if
                  > this tire will fit both rims and what adverse effect do yall
                  > think I might have with running a rear tire in the front, if any.

                • klr650nut
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 26, 2013
                    LOL. not a lot of love here for the fat tire fiend! Cafe bikes were build to handle well, a fat tire bobber was built to look tough and maybe go fast in a straight line.

                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Denny <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

                    > Give your TBS away to someone who appreciates it for what it is and
                    > get yourself something else to jack around with.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Denny
                    >
                    > On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 02:46:46 +0000, steelman342 digitized the
                    > following:
                    > > Hey guys. Im buyn new tires. Thinkn about getn these.
                    > > http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=743
                    > > . My question is (before I pull the trigger) I wanna put this
                    > > same tire on both rims. the rear rim is 4.25x17 and the front is
                    > > 3.5x17. the tire dimension is 130/90 17r. im just wonderin if
                    > > this tire will fit both rims and what adverse effect do yall
                    > > think I might have with running a rear tire in the front, if any.

                  • steelman342
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 26, 2013
                      I Like jacking with my thunderbird. just want some advice on a bigger tire look. and denny, you can kiss my ass :)

                      cheers mate

                      jeff

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 26, 2013
                        alright look. i don't want a fat 200/70 tire. i want a tall front tire with a high aspect ratio. Not bobber or chopper. im goin for a certain look. iv put a lot of time and money all over this bike. it handles great. and a 130/90 isn't exactly a batbike tire

                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Fenner" <rfenner@...> wrote:

                        > Mark,
                        >
                        > With all due respect, Triumph put a lot of money and expertise into building their reputation for superb-handling and -steering bikes. A critical part of that is the type and size of rubber. And I'm 66 and have owned many "cafe racers". I've never seen one with the same size rubber at both ends.
                        >
                        > If you want something like you describe, then perhaps a chopper forum is the right place for advice?
                        >
                        > Just saying....
                        >
                        > Richard.

                      • Peter T
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 26, 2013
                          Well he did ask! A d if his desire is to take the bike in another direction (literally) that's
                          His choice. We've seen some cool mods along the way. But I'd agree if the intention
                          Is to have the bike handle in any way it was designed to this wouldn't be the best mod.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 26, 2013
                            you guys are gettn all sentimental on me. Turning the TBS into a CR is a fun and pretty common practice. Im just having trouble getting my hands on the type tire I really want. be that 130/90 or 140/90. the aspect ratio is what I want, not "BIG FAT BOBBER,CHOPPER look"

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 26, 2013
                              skinny jeans hipster? wtf are you talkin about?

                              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Christian Teague <tritwin@...> wrote:

                              > Dude, that's not Cafe' that's skinny jeans wearing hipster. You can do it but you're going to waist a lot of money and in the long run you'll end up hating it.
                              >
                              > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                            • Jim Eichhorn
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                TBS looks great in the Cafe style.  No hipsters here.  I've gone that direction with mine and it looks, performs, and handles awesome.  I've changed nothing other than the bars, mirrors, fenders, and the seat, and have added a flyscreen.  Now, if I could just get rid of that radiator!  j/k

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                  Did that with mine too, Jim.

                                  Flat and narrower bars, Super III pistons, Speed Triple igniter, junked the airbox for K&Ns, flyscreen with a discreet Union Jack centre, Corbin Gunfighter seat with same on the hump, off-road pipes. Dyno'd at 93 bhp at the back wheel. It was a LOT of fun and I miss it terribly, even though I just bought a new Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC to replace it.....

                                  Never screwed with the handling apart from setting it up for my weight. Never had to - it was the best steering bike I ever owned and the ride compromise was impeccable.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Richard.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                    Ah, yes.  There was some suspension adjustment to suit me and my weight/riding style.  Thank you, Richard.  Steelman, I forgot to mention that my new fiberglass front fender from Retro Cafe Racer dot com (rule-breaker?) is a bit smaller and lighter than OEM.  Does make the front tire look larger, although I wasn't after that necessarily.   The guy is based out of UK, has several hand made to order body parts and can paint to match OEM colors.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                      Well, when you talk about a fat tire on the front all I could envision was something Harley-like. A 130 doesn't seem that extreme. Also if you're not overrun by Hipsters then you're not from Atlanta!

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                        Lots of reserve and some negatives here. But it is your bike and since you
                                        are the owner do what you want. I just find it hard to understand myself.
                                        Seems a recipe for handling problems.

                                        I Like jacking with my thunderbird. just want some advice on a bigger tire
                                        look. and denny, you can kiss my ass :)

                                        cheers mate

                                        jeff

                                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                        <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , Denny

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                          Does anyone make a longer front fender for the TBS? Sort of like the non-S T Bird.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                            If you can find one, Triumph made a front mudguard extension, p/n A9708009. If you can't find one of those, I'd talk to the guys at Sprint Mfg (http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/).

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                              Thanks Peter. The site did not have the extension for a Sport but the site
                                              is added to my favorites. Meanwhile the search goes on. The standard
                                              Thunderbird fender will not fit without some adjusting to the mounting
                                              holes. Something I may end up doing.

                                              If you can find one, Triumph made a front mudguard extension, p/n A9708009.
                                              If you can't find one of those, I'd talk to the guys at Sprint Mfg
                                              (http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/).

                                              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                              <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dick

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 27, 2013
                                                Go to retrocaferacer.com. I just saw an extension for the sport front fender today.

                                                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                              • Geoff Thompson

                                                  Winningstad" <lemans3@...> wrote:

                                                  > Does anyone make a longer front fender for the TBS? Sort of like the non-S
                                                  T Bird.

                                                • Rick Peterson
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 29, 2013
                                                    The thing you want to watch out for...is Tread Pattern...you'll notice that
                                                    the Front Tread Pattern of most M/C tires is opposite of direction of the
                                                    Rear Tread Pattern...

                                                    -Rick

                                                    Here's why:

                                                    *
                                                    November 09, 2011

                                                    Hello mambomonster,

                                                    Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

                                                    The tread pattern of front and rear motorcycle tires are different because
                                                    the performance function of front and rear tires are not the same. Front
                                                    tires are designed to provide maximum braking grip and the rear tires are
                                                    designed to provide maximum grip under accelerating conditions. In order to
                                                    achieve these performance criteria the tread design of front and rear tires
                                                    will go in opposite directions.

                                                    We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

                                                    It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question
                                                    answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond
                                                    to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and
                                                    8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM
                                                    Eastern Time on Saturday.

                                                    Sincerely,

                                                    Ken
                                                    Consumer Care Department
                                                    Certified Michelin Product Expert *

                                                    -Rick Peterson

                                                    On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM, steelman342 <steelman342@...> wrote:

                                                    > **
                                                    >

                                                    > alright look. i don't want a fat 200/70 tire. i want a tall front tire
                                                    > with a high aspect ratio. Not bobber or chopper. im goin for a certain
                                                    > look. iv put a lot of time and money all over this bike. it handles great.
                                                    > and a 130/90 isn't exactly a batbike tire
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Fenner"
                                                    > <rfenner@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Mark,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > With all due respect, Triumph put a lot of money and expertise into
                                                    > building their reputation for superb-handling and -steering bikes. A
                                                    > critical part of that is the type and size of rubber. And I'm 66 and have
                                                    > owned many "cafe racers". I've never seen one with the same size rubber at
                                                    > both ends.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > If you want something like you describe, then perhaps a chopper forum is
                                                    > the right place for advice?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Just saying....
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Richard.

                                                  • John Cooper
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 29, 2013
                                                      On 7/29/2013 10:23 AM, Rick Peterson wrote:
                                                      > .you'll notice that
                                                      > the Front Tread Pattern of most M/C tires is opposite of direction of the
                                                      > Rear Tread Pattern...

                                                      Older bikes often use the same size tire on both ends. Tires designed
                                                      for both positions have 2 rotation arrows, one front and one back. Back
                                                      tires accelerate the bike and front tires decelerate the bike, hence, if
                                                      you must mount a rear tire on the front, mount it withe the arrow
                                                      pointing against the normal rotation.
                                                    • antal001
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 30, 2013
                                                        Hi guys!