[T TBS R] Re: Help with Handling Issue

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 13, 2013
      > This might be out in left field but could the tire be defective.

      It's always a possibility. They make a lot less of'em than they used to, but everybody still makes them.
    • oradbaforpsoft
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
        Neil,

        I read all there responses to this and can't help wonder if it is something else.

        My son crashed his speed Four last year and I rebuilt it - after the rebuild the steering seemed just a little 'off'. I pulled the forks and they were straight, and also rotated them while still in the triple trees to see if they were warped. They seemed fine, but the steering still seemed off and the bile pulled slightly to the side.

        The problem ended up being the lower triple tree clamp. When I removed both clamps and placed them on a flat surface, there was just enough warp-age that they could rock on the surface of the able instead of being totally flat. The result was that the fork angle on the one side was different from the other and caused enough of the difference to affect the handling, although it was not obviously visible when sitting on the bike.

        The dealer was surprised, saying that usually the forks would bend before the triple tree clamp, but there it was. After replacing the triple clamp the bike runs true.

        Dave in Dallas
      • tritwin
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
          That's a good point. I laid mine down in 2005. I made sure to check out the frame for damage (there was none), however my forks did get tweeked. All it took was to loosen the triple trees and realign them.

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "oradbaforpsoft" <oradbaforpsoft@...> wrote:

          > Neil,
          >
          > I read all there responses to this and can't help wonder if it is something else.
          >
          > My son crashed his speed Four last year and I rebuilt it - after the rebuild the steering seemed just a little 'off'. I pulled the forks and they were straight, and also rotated them while still in the triple trees to see if they were warped. They seemed fine, but the steering still seemed off and the bile pulled slightly to the side.
          >
          > The problem ended up being the lower triple tree clamp. When I removed both clamps and placed them on a flat surface, there was just enough warp-age that they could rock on the surface of the able instead of being totally flat. The result was that the fork angle on the one side was different from the other and caused enough of the difference to affect the handling, although it was not obviously visible when sitting on the bike.
          >
          > The dealer was surprised, saying that usually the forks would bend before the triple tree clamp, but there it was. After replacing the triple clamp the bike runs true.
          >
          > Dave in Dallas

        • Richard Fenner
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
            I took my first TBS back to the dealer THREE times after they has supposedly rebuilt the front end after a minor off (a car took out my front wheel at about 10km/h).

            I had told them that the back of the bike was tracking 3.5 degrees off the front after their first attempt (used to be a test pilot). They didn't listen. I sent it back. They didn't listen. The third time I just rode it round the block and sent it back, saying no pay until properly fixed.

            Heard nothing for two weeks. Eventually turned up there unannounced, to find the bike on a stand, trued up to level, with the front end off the bike and a steel rod through the headstock.

            Guess what? It was 3.5 degrees off. They had already done all the paint/replaced all the parts before checking this. The insurance co. then wrote the bike off citing the price of a new frame.

            This whole process took over a month and the BF of a dealer had the gall to try to screw my relationship with my financiers and interfere with the insurance negotiations. Luckily, both knew him for what he was.

            I'm glad to report that he no longer has the Triumph, Aprilia, or Moto Guzzi franchises. He's trying to make a living selling 85 bhp Nortons for C$21K, when I paid 2/3rds of that for my 2013 167 bhp Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC....:-)

            Karma's a bitch.

            Cheers,

            Richard.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
              I will file this away. I bet very few have thought to check that.

              Dick