Re: RE: [T TBS R] Re: Help with Handling Issue

  • Christian Teague
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 10, 2013
      If it was the Avons it would have to be visablely worn or out of round. If they look O.K. and they balance out check the frame!

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 10, 2013
        > Can we assume that the rear axle is aligned correctly in the
        > swingarm?

        That was my immediate thought...the chain got adjusted and the rear wheel got misaligned somehow in the process.
      • Richard Fenner
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 10, 2013
          Given that most roads are domed in shape, you'll always wear one side on the tyre (yes, I speak English!) before another.

          That may be it, but.....

          Best of luck!

          Richard.

          From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
            Correct. Furthermore, I'm sure the TBS is not symmetrically weighted, ie the COG is slightly right of centre. Maybe the exhaust on the 3-2 models. Mine rides slightly off, vertical, and the only othe TBS I rode did as well. Don't notice it in the handling, but I do see it in front tire wear especially towards end of life. If you drive on e right, then this is aggravated by the road crown.

            Anyone else agree / disagree with the observation on TBS balance?

            G.
            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Fenner" <rfenner@...> wrote:

            > Given that most roads are domed in shape, you'll always wear one side on the tyre (yes, I speak English!) before another.
            >
            > That may be it, but.....
            >
            > Best of luck!
            >
            > Richard.

          • John Shaw
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
              If you're a taller rider, as I am, you may notice you ride off centre simply
              as the engine on a TBS is not centred on the bike and you may try to keep
              your knee away from the one side . ask a friend following you to know for
              sure. This will make the normal road crown wear worse, it is very
              noticeable on a worn tire.

              This does not appear to affect the tracking even when badly worn on one side
              as my bike still track in a straight line with hands off even if the ride
              position is tilted, indeed I don't even notice it anymore and the only
              hassle is the cornering can get badly unbalance on older tires.

              Correct. Furthermore, I'm sure the TBS is not symmetrically weighted, ie the
              COG is slightly right of centre. Maybe the exhaust on the 3-2 models. Mine
              rides slightly off, vertical, and the only othe TBS I rode did as well.
              Don't notice it in the handling, but I do see it in front tire wear
              especially towards end of life. If you drive on e right, then this is
              aggravated by the road crown.

              Anyone else agree / disagree with the observation on TBS balance?

              G.
              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , "Richard Fenner"
              <rfenner@...> wrote:

              > Given that most roads are domed in shape, you'll always wear one side on
              the tyre (yes, I speak English!) before another.

              > That may be it, but.....
              >
              > Best of luck!
              >
              > Richard.

            • thalay sagar
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
                Thank you all for your advise and experience.
                I will try to address all the posts comments and questions in one go.

                Tritwin: If all else fails I will get the frame checked. It was a low speed dump on deepish gravel with so hoping the frame did not take a big hit. Saddle bags softened it even more. Thanks

                Dick: I understand where you are coming from as I have had a bad experience with a well known tire on a previous bike so won't give them a second chance. That said the Avons are brand new and come stock on other TBSs with no issues. I kinda have to go with them at this point. Thanks

                Thanks again Tritwin & Petermholms for your comments. I will check for pitted lower headstock bearing

                Denny: I have done alignment 3 ways. String method 2x , Laser level method 2x, and using a Electronic Digital Vernier Micrometer Caliper to make sure equal distance from axle bolt to front and back of swing arm cutout where alignment bolt threads in. Always shows true.But no I have not been able to measure from center of swing arm bolt to center of axle bolt as TOR exhaust are in the way on both sides. Chain is adjusted correct and runs true also. May pull them off if it comes to that.Thanks

                John: Thanks

                Tritwin: The Avons have 80 miles on them and are not even scrubbed in yet so no wear pattern to check yet. Thanks

                Richard: I have access to large flat concrete parking lot for testing so believe road crown is not the issue. Bike ran true for 10,000 miles on all types of roads before this. Thanks

                Geoffwaite: This is not my experience with my '04 TBS. I have done lengthy trips (2-3 Weeks), weekend runs, & daily rides all with a throttle locker I have been able to cruse with no hands with ease. When I want and situation appropriate! Even with an almost bald rear and worn front set of Metzeler MeZ4's. Oh ya, no one sided wear pattern on either front of back. Good tires - served me well. Thanks

                horton6662004: I am 5'11" and took your advise and had my friends check me out but not the case. I sit straight in the saddle. Thanks

                Thank you all for your great help and I appreciate it. Hope to get this sorted.
                To recap, Bike tracked true with no weave when hands off bars. Had minor spill and dealer repaired everything at end of riding season. Self installed new rubber (Avon Storm Ultras)had them shop balanced,wheel alignment seems to be strait and true but bike now pulls right with no hands on bars. Handling does not seem to be affected. Tires too new to push hard yet.

                Thank you All
                Neil

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "John Shaw" <horton@...> wrote:

                > If you're a taller rider, as I am, you may notice you ride off centre simply
                > as the engine on a TBS is not centred on the bike and you may try to keep
                > your knee away from the one side . ask a friend following you to know for
                > sure. This will make the normal road crown wear worse, it is very
                > noticeable on a worn tire.
                >
                > This does not appear to affect the tracking even when badly worn on one side
                > as my bike still track in a straight line with hands off even if the ride
                > position is tilted, indeed I don't even notice it anymore and the only
                > hassle is the cornering can get badly unbalance on older tires.

              • James Tennier
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
                  Is it possible that chain tightening process has the tire aimed a touch to the side. For fun, check the calibration marks on the swing arm to assure yourself of equal placement of either side of swingarm.  Just sayin'. Jim

                  ________________________________
> [...]

                  Thank you All
                  Neil

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "John Shaw" <horton@...> wrote:

                  > If you're a taller rider, as I am, you may notice you ride off centre simply
                  > as the engine on a TBS is not centred on the bike and you may try to keep
                  > your knee away from the one side . ask a friend following you to know for
                  > sure. This will make the normal road crown wear worse, it is very
                  > noticeable on a worn tire.
                  >
                  > This does not appear to affect the tracking even when badly worn on one side
                  > as my bike still track in a straight line with hands off even if the ride
                  > position is tilted, indeed I don't even notice it anymore and the only
                  > hassle is the cornering can get badly unbalance on older tires.

                • thalay sagar
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 12, 2013
                    Thanks Jim, I took pictures of the calibration marks on the swing arm before removing the wheel for work. Re-installed to same marks and used Vernier Micrometer Caliper to measure and make sure both sides of axle bolt are equal distance on the swingarm.

                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote:

                    > Is it possible that chain tightening process has the tire aimed a touch to the side. For fun, check the calibration marks on the swing arm to assure yourself of equal placement of either side of swingarm.  Just sayin'. Jim
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • James Tennier
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 12, 2013
                      I'm wondering if "intentionally. misaligned, might correct the problem?"  In other words, if it is aligned according to the "marks" if one were to intentionally alter this in the desired direction, would this correct the direction of travel minutely??? Worth a try maybe??? Let me know if you try it and it works. It would be a band aid but who knows, not being to actually identify the wound.  Jim

                      ________________________________
                      Thanks Jim, I took pictures of the calibration marks on the swing arm before removing the wheel for work. Re-installed to same marks and used Vernier Micrometer Caliper to measure and make sure both sides of axle bolt are equal distance on the swingarm.

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote:

                      > Is it possible that chain tightening process has the tire aimed a touch to the side. For fun, check the calibration marks on the swing arm to assure yourself of equal placement of either side of swingarm.  Just sayin'. Jim
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Rick Peterson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 12, 2013
                        You should re-align the rear wheel using the String method or laser...don't
                        trust the tick marks...

                        -Rick

                        -Rick Peterson

                      • L WASDYKE
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 12, 2013
                          This might be out in left field but could the tire be defective.  I have a friend who had a recalled tire on his Gold Wing, he only found out after it went flat.
                          Larry

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 13, 2013
                            > This might be out in left field but could the tire be defective.

                            It's always a possibility. They make a lot less of'em than they used to, but everybody still makes them.
                          • oradbaforpsoft
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
                              Neil,

                              I read all there responses to this and can't help wonder if it is something else.

                              My son crashed his speed Four last year and I rebuilt it - after the rebuild the steering seemed just a little 'off'. I pulled the forks and they were straight, and also rotated them while still in the triple trees to see if they were warped. They seemed fine, but the steering still seemed off and the bile pulled slightly to the side.

                              The problem ended up being the lower triple tree clamp. When I removed both clamps and placed them on a flat surface, there was just enough warp-age that they could rock on the surface of the able instead of being totally flat. The result was that the fork angle on the one side was different from the other and caused enough of the difference to affect the handling, although it was not obviously visible when sitting on the bike.

                              The dealer was surprised, saying that usually the forks would bend before the triple tree clamp, but there it was. After replacing the triple clamp the bike runs true.

                              Dave in Dallas
                            • tritwin
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
                                That's a good point. I laid mine down in 2005. I made sure to check out the frame for damage (there was none), however my forks did get tweeked. All it took was to loosen the triple trees and realign them.

                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "oradbaforpsoft" <oradbaforpsoft@...> wrote:

                                > Neil,
                                >
                                > I read all there responses to this and can't help wonder if it is something else.
                                >
                                > My son crashed his speed Four last year and I rebuilt it - after the rebuild the steering seemed just a little 'off'. I pulled the forks and they were straight, and also rotated them while still in the triple trees to see if they were warped. They seemed fine, but the steering still seemed off and the bile pulled slightly to the side.
                                >
                                > The problem ended up being the lower triple tree clamp. When I removed both clamps and placed them on a flat surface, there was just enough warp-age that they could rock on the surface of the able instead of being totally flat. The result was that the fork angle on the one side was different from the other and caused enough of the difference to affect the handling, although it was not obviously visible when sitting on the bike.
                                >
                                > The dealer was surprised, saying that usually the forks would bend before the triple tree clamp, but there it was. After replacing the triple clamp the bike runs true.
                                >
                                > Dave in Dallas

                              • Richard Fenner
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
                                  I took my first TBS back to the dealer THREE times after they has supposedly rebuilt the front end after a minor off (a car took out my front wheel at about 10km/h).

                                  I had told them that the back of the bike was tracking 3.5 degrees off the front after their first attempt (used to be a test pilot). They didn't listen. I sent it back. They didn't listen. The third time I just rode it round the block and sent it back, saying no pay until properly fixed.

                                  Heard nothing for two weeks. Eventually turned up there unannounced, to find the bike on a stand, trued up to level, with the front end off the bike and a steel rod through the headstock.

                                  Guess what? It was 3.5 degrees off. They had already done all the paint/replaced all the parts before checking this. The insurance co. then wrote the bike off citing the price of a new frame.

                                  This whole process took over a month and the BF of a dealer had the gall to try to screw my relationship with my financiers and interfere with the insurance negotiations. Luckily, both knew him for what he was.

                                  I'm glad to report that he no longer has the Triumph, Aprilia, or Moto Guzzi franchises. He's trying to make a living selling 85 bhp Nortons for C$21K, when I paid 2/3rds of that for my 2013 167 bhp Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC....:-)

                                  Karma's a bitch.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Richard.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 19, 2013
                                    I will file this away. I bet very few have thought to check that.

                                    Dick