Re: [T TBS R] tires - current thinking?

  • sidney white
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
      Look into Vee Rubber, they make affordable tires to fit everyone on two and
      three wheels.

      --
      Sidney

      Who is John Galt?

    • Dick Winningstad
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
        I've used the Metzler Z-6 tires and they are good. Finding the 160/60 size
        can be problematic. I am running Michelin Road Pilot 2 tires now. The rear
        is a 170 as 160's are not available. This slows down the steering a bit but
        is not bad. I would like to put a 160 on again the next time it is time to
        change tires.

        Dick

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
          I put on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras, and they are available in a 160/70 rear. I have 4K miles on them and they still have half the tread, although the second half always wears faster than the first half.

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
            I have some Continentals on mine now.

            I used a 150/70 on the rear. I actually like the way the bike
            turns in with the slightly narrower tire. They have the Motions
            that are a good compromise between milage and grip.

            AFAIK the only radials available in the Stock sizes are Avons
            Storm Ultra and Bridgestone BT 023

            Some folks have said the use of a 160/60 lowers the rear end enough
            that it has an effect on available lean angle in corners. I've
            never tried that myself.

            Cheers,
            Denny

            On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 19:21:25 +0000, geoffwaite digitized the
            following:

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
              +1 on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Nice tire, great in the rain. Another guy whose opinion I respect likes Michelin Pilot Road 3.
            • jim mcgrath
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2013
                running mich 3's on both my TBS's and my FZ1. Hard center lasts, sticky sidewalls, and excellent rain traction. (so I've heard. It never rains in SOCAL)

                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 04:23:46 +0000

                +1 on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Nice tire, great in the rain. Another guy whose opinion I respect likes Michelin Pilot Road 3.

              • KEITH REGELIN
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2013
                  I second the motion on the Avon Storm II Ultras, great tires, and in the correct rear size! Keith 1998 TBS 64K and rising

                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                  From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 04:23:46 +0000

                  +1 on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Nice tire, great in the rain. Another guy whose opinion I respect likes Michelin Pilot Road 3.

                • antal001
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                    Hello to all!

                    What about Dunlop Roadsmart 2? I just got them on my TBS, are very sticky on dry road, OK on wet, but I don't how long they will last…

                    (hem, they are not really cheap.. ;-( )

                    Kind regards.

                    Alan from France

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                      Those are radials (good), what size did you use on the rear?

                      Cheers,
                      Denny

                      On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:40:13 +0000, antal001 digitized the
                      following:

                      > Hello to all!
                      >

                      > What about Dunlop Roadsmart 2? I just got them on my TBS, are
                      > very sticky on dry road, OK on wet, but I don't how long they
                      > will last
                      >

                      > (hem, they are not really cheap.. ;-( )
                      >
                      > Kind regards.
                      >

                      > Alan from France
                    • geoffwaite
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
                        Hi - Which Contis - the Motion, by any chance?

                        Over on TriunmphRat, they're starting to get a minor following - and they're way cheaper than the other options.

                        Any strong experiences / views for or against the Motions?

                        Geoff