tires - current thinking?

  • geoffwaite
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
      So, prompted by it being time for new rubber ('99 TBS). Seems like the choices for a matched set in these sizes are limited. Looking for sport touring.

      1) Local T. dealer suggests Pirelli Angel GT. However I note that they do not make a 160/70, only a 160/60 - anyone have any experience?

      2) Another (not Triumph) local bike shop suggested Metzeler z6. However, I can't find any mention in the forums of using these. anyone have any experience?

      More generally, given criteria of touring type use, with some twisties, mileage important, not an unlimited budget, what do folks recommend? what's your favorite tire combo and why?

      cheers, geoff
    • sidney white
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
        Look into Vee Rubber, they make affordable tires to fit everyone on two and
        three wheels.

        --
        Sidney

        Who is John Galt?

      • Dick Winningstad
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
          I've used the Metzler Z-6 tires and they are good. Finding the 160/60 size
          can be problematic. I am running Michelin Road Pilot 2 tires now. The rear
          is a 170 as 160's are not available. This slows down the steering a bit but
          is not bad. I would like to put a 160 on again the next time it is time to
          change tires.

          Dick

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
            I put on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras, and they are available in a 160/70 rear. I have 4K miles on them and they still have half the tread, although the second half always wears faster than the first half.

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
              I have some Continentals on mine now.

              I used a 150/70 on the rear. I actually like the way the bike
              turns in with the slightly narrower tire. They have the Motions
              that are a good compromise between milage and grip.

              AFAIK the only radials available in the Stock sizes are Avons
              Storm Ultra and Bridgestone BT 023

              Some folks have said the use of a 160/60 lowers the rear end enough
              that it has an effect on available lean angle in corners. I've
              never tried that myself.

              Cheers,
              Denny

              On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 19:21:25 +0000, geoffwaite digitized the
              following:

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2013
                +1 on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Nice tire, great in the rain. Another guy whose opinion I respect likes Michelin Pilot Road 3.
              • jim mcgrath
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2013
                  running mich 3's on both my TBS's and my FZ1. Hard center lasts, sticky sidewalls, and excellent rain traction. (so I've heard. It never rains in SOCAL)

                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                  From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 04:23:46 +0000

                  +1 on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Nice tire, great in the rain. Another guy whose opinion I respect likes Michelin Pilot Road 3.

                • KEITH REGELIN
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 16, 2013
                    I second the motion on the Avon Storm II Ultras, great tires, and in the correct rear size! Keith 1998 TBS 64K and rising

                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                    From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 04:23:46 +0000

                    +1 on the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Nice tire, great in the rain. Another guy whose opinion I respect likes Michelin Pilot Road 3.

                  • antal001
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                      Hello to all!

                      What about Dunlop Roadsmart 2? I just got them on my TBS, are very sticky on dry road, OK on wet, but I don't how long they will last…

                      (hem, they are not really cheap.. ;-( )

                      Kind regards.

                      Alan from France

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                        Those are radials (good), what size did you use on the rear?

                        Cheers,
                        Denny

                        On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:40:13 +0000, antal001 digitized the
                        following:

                        > Hello to all!
                        >

                        > What about Dunlop Roadsmart 2? I just got them on my TBS, are
                        > very sticky on dry road, OK on wet, but I don't how long they
                        > will last
                        >

                        > (hem, they are not really cheap.. ;-( )
                        >
                        > Kind regards.
                        >

                        > Alan from France
                      • geoffwaite
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
                          Hi - Which Contis - the Motion, by any chance?

                          Over on TriunmphRat, they're starting to get a minor following - and they're way cheaper than the other options.

                          Any strong experiences / views for or against the Motions?

                          Geoff