Electrical problems

  • Craig Weidler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
      Hello all,

      I have a 2004 TBS, my problem is that the #2 cylinder is not getting a spark. I have swapped the coils as well as plug wires with no change. (Yes I have tried new plugs as well) Looking at the manual I would think that the ignitor would be the place to check next. I wondered if someone knew a way to determine if this is the problem without buying the Triumph tester that I am sure is priced well out of consideration.

      Next question, where is the ignitor, is that the box that is bolted to the front of the battery box?

      Any help wold be greatly appreciated. I do not have a local dealer in central Illinois. And I am relegated to the 1998 Honda Magna, a good bike, but still not my Triumph.

      Craig

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
        Yes that is the ignitor.

        Cheers,
        Denny

        On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 00:42:22 +0000, Craig Weidler digitized the
        following:
        > Next question, where is the ignitor, is that the box that is
        > bolted to the front of the battery box?

        The most reliable way for us home mechanics is to swap it for a
        known good ignitor.

        I imagine the Triumph tool is no longer available anyway.
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2013
          My #3 cyl. did the same (2002 T-Bird); it was the ignitor. I purchased one from IgniTech, which worked very well. Cost me about $250, included shipping and a computer to bike cable. Here's their website. Lots of info available thru forums, etc.
          http://ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

          Best of luck, Bob Huffman