Re: [T TBS R] New Guy

  • Gary Gavin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2013
      Welcome, with the summer months ahead we should all be enjoying our TBSs.

      Gare'
      98 TBS

      On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Jim Eichhorn <madcorecycle@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello, all. New to this group, and it was one month ago yesterday that I
      > picked-up my '98 TBS in Tornado Red with 2,100 miles on the clock. She's
      > had some needs, but got most of it squared away and maybe I'll be able to
      > hear that sweet triple again by next weekend. Good to see an active group
      > still talking about these bikes, as I've been a fan for a long time! Jim

    • Paolo Bianco
      Message 2 of 13 , May 10, 2013
        Welcome to the group!
        I have your same model: 98 TBS red/black tank. In the shop for overdue valve adjustment but I am about to pick it up tomorrow after 2 weeks. I am sooooo looking forward to it! The weather has just started to get warmer over here in the Northeast.
        Paolo (NYC rider)

        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2013
          Welcome, Jim. Once you get your ride sorted and a few thousand miles under your belt on it, you're going to be amazed at just how good these bikes are.
        • Jim Eichhorn
          Message 4 of 13 , May 13, 2013
            Looking forward to finding-out, Pete!  Levered-on some new Battlax BT-023 tires this weekend, along with installing some new fork seals.  Getting closer!

            Message 5 of 13 , May 13, 2013
              Hi,
              Just wondering how many of you have run into the apparently common issue of the temperature light coming on in heavy traffic or idling. I've seen it identified as a grounding wire fault in the bulletins, but last fall in 75-80F weather, my '00 TBS engine smoked and hemorrhaged coolant all over the road. A faulty thermostat that prevented the fan from kicking in was what my mechanic diagnosed, and the heat pressure probably caused the engine cap to pop and spill coolant. Problem was fixed but the light still comes on and I'm paranoid the same thing will happen. The difference is that the fan is running now...so is the temp. light something I should just ignore (or rewire)? I feel the heat blowing at my legs but wonder if this is normal or a symptom of a heat buildup problem. Any similar experience or advice on this? Thanks

              PS. I've only owned it since spring last year, but love the bike...warts and all (mostly cold starting, and this flickering temp. light thing).

              Kevin N.

              On 2013-05-13, at 9:13 AM, Jim Eichhorn <madcorecycle@...> wrote:

              > Looking forward to finding-out, Pete! Levered-on some new Battlax BT-023 tires this weekend, along with installing some new fork seals. Getting closer!

            • John Shaw
              Message 6 of 13 , May 14, 2013
                Does the fan come on when the overtemp light is on? Likely not, but of course it should be.

                If the fan is not on then the problem is the temperature sensor, I replaced mine 4 times and then I gave up and put in a manual switch. The design is defective, after a year or two the resistance when on becomes a couple of hundred ohms, one was over a thousand ohms, and so the fan will get almost no current.

                I have heard others who have the same problem, again it must be a design fault as it is so repeatable.

                John