Re: [T TBS R] Re: Valve Adjustment

  • L WASDYKE
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
      Follow up
      I checked the valve clearances and maybe I was lucky or the Haynes Manuel's 6000 mile  increment is off.   I have 9800 miles and only found one valve border line.  Like the webbikeworld.com   article indicated the worst part of the job was getting the valve cover back on.  I cut the wire ties and moved the wires to the right side of frame and replaced them when I was done.

       My next endeavor is to replace the rear pirelli with an  Avon Road Rider.  I put one on the front in the late fall and was happy with how the bike handled.

      Curious, are there any other t-bird owners in north New Jersey.?

      From: thusprt04 <dalt017@...>
      Subject: [T TBS R] Re: Valve Adjustment
      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, April 12, 2013, 8:55 AM

      If you haven't seen this link, it's a good step-by-step guide and better picture quality than the haynes manual! -

      http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/valves/

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, L WASDYKE <lm.wasdyke@...> wrote:

      > I have the Haynes manual it lists  checking the valve clearances every 6000 mile.
      > I'm  about to tackle this job my self.  I only have 9500 miles on my 2002 standard
      > Thunderbird, I dint think I should have any ware problems with chain and tension blade.   I would be thankful for any pointers.

    • John Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

        Hi:

        Last year I was getting a mild swishing sound, and slightly less damping, from the front end.  It seems to have got worse over the winter, based on first ride yesterday when I did not get a real warm feeling (at all!) when hitting the many potholes out from the especially cold winter.

        It’s a pain to get the bike in to a reputable shop based on where I live, and I have some time on my hands and my garage is empty (rare – LOL) so I was thinking of fixing it myself.

        How hard is it to purge the fluid on the front end, that what this was last time. I did quick look and it seems to need special tools, but it was not the best description so does someone know an good online set by step instructions and if tools are really needed is there an online source?

        Any opinions on how likely it needs parts replaced given this is the second time (the last was 5? years ago) and this will start happening more often and I should be replacing seals or whatever at the same time.

        2001 TBS.

        John (Newmarket Ontario)

      • Gary Gavin
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014
          IIRC you can replace the oil in the forks without the need for special tools. You'll need to be able to support the front of the bike to be able to remove both fork legs and things attached to them. The Haynes Triumph Triples & Fours manual is a good reference for doing most things on your bike. You might need some sockets that aren't included in sets but the special fork tools are only needed if you are going to completely disassemble the fork and replace the fork seals. Even then inventive owners have found workarounds.

          I'm wondering if the sloshing noise is from water leaking past the seals and mixing with the oil.

          Gare'
          98 TBS
        • John Shaw
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

            Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12, 2014
              +1

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 12, 2014

                Thanks, I will get a copy.

                I looked at the seals and everything I see looks pristine to my untrained eye, the bike is stored inside but I don’t avoid the rain while riding either.

                John