Re:

  • James Tennier
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 8:33 PM
      $1,000.00 is about 9-10 hours of labor less a bit for a gasket and perhaps a
      couple shims... Think about it. The tank comes off, cam chain
      tensioner loosened, cams removed though the frame main downtube is in the way,
      it can be done. The $100+ Triumph tool was a pain in the behind so I checked
      clearances on rear wheel stand, wrote all clearances down then did it again to
      be sure and as it needed nothing I carefully aligned cam sprockets and replaced
      cams, chain and cover, tank etc and off I went.
      That was at about 8000 miles. Haven't done it since but I guess I should. The
      gasket was easily reused. I'd suggest BikeBandit for parts over that dealer you
      mentioned.
      Again. This is a job best not undertaken by the faint of heart but it clearly is
      better than spending a grand on a shop.
      Mine, locally, charged me >$450.00 to do valve adjustment and oil/ filter change
      on a Daytona a few years ago... No parts on the bill but oil & filter. No gasket
      or shims leading to me wondering if they actually checked the valves???
      Doubtful.
      They test road my TBS after a minor service early on picking up a nail in a
      newish rear tire and had the balls to charge ME $350.00 for the tire and
      install. At least they asked me what I wanted to do as I stared at the flat.
      "You want us to change that out for you?" Like I had a choice. Ride to another
      shop on a flat??? bank me.
      Is it any wonder I don't patronize their facility???