New Member & Need Help '98 TBS Will Not Crank

  • aaroncorder2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hey everyone,
      New member here. I have a 1998 TBS that will not start. Checked the battery voltage - all good 12v. Everything seems good. Last rode in October, ran good. Live in Apex, NC so the weather has been good. If anyone has any ideas?
      Thanks,
      Aaron
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2013
        Initial valve clearance check at 6,000 miles
        after that every 12,000 miles

        That is Triumph's recommendation that is listed in the owners
        manual for my 1998.

        Cheers,
        Denny

        On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:40:09 +0000, aaroncorder2000 digitized the
        following:
        > Hey everyone,
        > New member here. I have a 1998 TBS that will not start. Checked
        > the battery voltage - all good 12v. Everything seems good. Last
        > rode in October, ran good. Live in Apex, NC so the weather has
        > been good. If anyone has any ideas?
        > Thanks,
        > Aaron

      • glgavin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2013
          12V will sometimes not be enough. It needs to be a little more for some reason. If you have the stock, or a replacement battery that you have to add distilled water to, check to make sure it's topped up. If you have a trickle charger (Battery Tender) hook it up for 24hrs or so and try again. I personally switched to the sealed battery and have had much better luck. I admit to letting the fluid level get too low during the riding season.

          Sanford, NC

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "aaroncorder2000" <redroc24x7@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone,
          > New member here. I have a 1998 TBS that will not start. Checked the battery voltage - all good 12v. Everything seems good. Last rode in October, ran good. Live in Apex, NC so the weather has been good. If anyone has any ideas?
          > Thanks,
          > Aaron

        • sidney white
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2013
            is there spark at the plugs?
            Sid

            On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Denny <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Initial valve clearance check at 6,000 miles
            > after that every 12,000 miles
            >
            > That is Triumph's recommendation that is listed in the owners
            > manual for my 1998.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Denny
            >
            > On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:40:09 +0000, aaroncorder2000 digitized the
            > following:
            > > Hey everyone,
            > > New member here. I have a 1998 TBS that will not start. Checked
            > > the battery voltage - all good 12v. Everything seems good. Last
            > > rode in October, ran good. Live in Apex, NC so the weather has
            > > been good. If anyone has any ideas?
            > > Thanks,
            > > Aaron

            Sidney