Re: [T TBS R] Re: acts like fuel starvation but i'm afraid it's ignition

  • David Davenport
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
      Thanks! My address is:
      Dave Davenport
      1603 Manhattan Ave
      Grover Beach, CA
      93433
      Let me know what it costs and I can send you a check.
      Thanks again! My T-Bird just doesn't look right with that broken lamp,
      but she still runs great:)

      Dave
      “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
      Nor have entered into the heart of man
      The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
        Cool, no problem. Don't worry about sending a check, I'm just trying to help a fellow Tbird rider :)
        I'm going to email you pics to make sure its the correct one.

      • rbthuffman@juno.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
          I replaced my dead Gill igniter with one from these guys. $240 delivered, seems to work fine after 1000 miles. Read about it in the forums. I have a 2002 T-Bird.

          http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

          Also had to replace pickup sensor (had to use a used Gill for that), and coils (went with Nogoly). Can't believe Triumph uses Gill for anything.

          Best of luck.

        • MrInstall
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
            FYI... I sent out the license plate light USPS Priority today. You should have it in 2-3 days.

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
              FYI... I sent out the ignitor and coils USPS Priority today. You should have it in 2-3 days. I hope this helps you out.

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 4, 2013
                I got the ignitor back today. Thanks

                I'm glad everything worked out for you.

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gjtoles2003@...> wrote:

                > hi fellow triumph owners/riders, 99 tbs w/135k--have had motorcycles all my like and this one is by far the best motorcycle i've ever owned. now however, just yesterday in fact the thing developed a bad miss which it has never missed a beat in it's life. has anybody had any experience with the ignitor going out? will check out all the obvious stuff soon but looking at some of the prices for ignition parts blows my mind. any feed back sure would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much gt

              • Bill Morrison
                Message 7 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                  Way back in Feb there was a conversation about failing ignition appearing as fuel starvation and Nology coils were recommended as a fix/upgrade. Which ones? Bikebandit lists 2 different ones that would fit a 98 TBS. Plug and play I can handle, but beyond that electrickery may be beyond me.
                  Any suggestions or clarification greatly appreciated.
                  Thanks,
                  Bill in Northern Westchester NY
                • Todd A Luchette
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                    From my invoice:

                    Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles (Single Outlet) $69.99

                    Hope that helps.

                    Todd

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                      Thanks Todd,
                      Helps a lot. Now to place an order and get that bike back together before June gets away from me. Then I can take on the next bike's challenges. gotta have at least one on the road at all time.

                      Bill

                      > Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles (Single
                      > Outlet)      $69.99
                      >
                      > Hope that helps.
                      >
                      > Todd
                      >

                      > On May 31, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Bill Morrison wrote:
                      >
                      > > Way back in Feb there was a conversation about failing
                      > ignition appearing as fuel starvation and Nology coils were
                      > recommended as a fix/upgrade. Which ones? Bikebandit lists 2
                      > different ones that would fit a 98 TBS. Plug and play I can
                      > handle, but beyond that electrickery may be beyond me.
                      > > Any suggestions or clarification greatly appreciated.
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Bill in Northern Westchester NY

                      >     triumphthunderbirdsportriders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • L WASDYKE
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                        I can’t find my invoice but I found a warranty pamphlet from when I replaced my coils. I wrote the part number of 152 001 060T on the front.  I also was not sure which coils to order, I phoned Nology direct and they were happy to help.  Here are the phone numbers from their web page.
                        Toll-free: 1-800-NOLOGY1 (665-6491)
                        or: 760-591-0888
                        Larry

                        Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles (Single Outlet)      $69.99

                        Hope that helps.

                        Todd

                        On May 31, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Bill Morrison wrote:

                        > Way back in Feb there was a conversation about failing ignition appearing as fuel starvation and Nology coils were recommended as a fix/upgrade. Which ones? Bikebandit lists 2 different ones that would fit a 98 TBS. Plug and play I can handle, but beyond that electrickery may be beyond me.
                        > Any suggestions or clarification greatly appreciated.
                        > Thanks,
                        > Bill in Northern Westchester NY

                      • Woody Sutherland
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                          On 5/31/13 1:57 PM, L WASDYKE wrote:
                          > I can’t find my invoice but I found a warranty pamphlet from when I
                          > replaced my coils. I wrote the part number of 152 001 060T on the
                          > front. I also was not sure which coils to order, I phoned Nology direct
                          > and they were happy to help. Here are the phone numbers from their web
                          > page.
                          > Toll-free: 1-800-NOLOGY1 (665-6491)
                          > or: 760-591-0888
                          > Larry

                          Which models of Triumphs are known to have weak factory coils? Is this
                          only for the triples? Is it both injected and carb engines?

                          I've already replaced them on my '99 Thunderbird Sport, but am wondering
                          if it's in my future should I acquire another Triumph (e.g. Tiger).

                          thanks,
                          Woody Sutherland
                          San Diego
                        • Robert
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 2, 2013
                            Another Gill component known to fail is the Ignition Pickup Sensor; mine died at 30,000 miles. It fails when it gets hot, and comes back after five minutes; seems like a fuel issue but it's not. $75 for a new one, only Gill makes it I believe.