[T TBS R] Re: acts like fuel starvation but i'm afraid it's ignition

  • MrInstall
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
      I have one. The lens is kind of hazy though. You can have it if you want it. Do you ever come out towards Torrance? If you do you can stop by my shop and pick it up. Email me and I'll send you a pic of it.

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, David Davenport <davenport-d@...> wrote:

      > I would like to find the small light assy. for a 97 t-bird classic that lights the license plate. Mine is broken and I tried ordering a new one, but apparently they are not available anymore. If anyone has one for sale please let me know. Thanks!
      >
      > Dave
      > “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
      > Nor have entered into the heart of man
      > The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

    • MrInstall
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
        I meant you're not your. I know this bugs people. lol

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "MrInstall" <contact@...> wrote:

        > That sucks. Too bad your not closer I'd help you figure out the problem. Torrance is nice, we get to ride year round. :)
        >
        > If you can promise to get them back to me I'd be willing to send the ignitor and a coil / cable for you to try it out.
        >
        > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, greg toles <gjtoles2003@> wrote:
        > >
        > > thanks so much for replying and providing info on your site.  looks good.   too bad the bike just developed this problem as i just drove thru torrence on my way to granada hills.  just beginning to check the thing out so would like to do business if that is what's called for. gt

      • David Davenport

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 21, 2013
            Ignition coils, almost a dead cert. If you replace them change all three
            and get Nology coils. Usually about �50 each.

            Andy.

          • tntremaine@...
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
              I have had 2 igniters blow in 1800 miles at $800 a pop.
              Gil is the new "Prince Of Darkness".

            • MrInstall
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                No problem. Email me your address and I'll ship it out to you.

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, David Davenport <davenport-d@...> wrote:

                > Thanks I would like it, but I never have made it out to Torrance. I live about 200 miles north in Grover Beach. Its a small item should be easy to ship if you want to.
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
                >
                > Nor have entered into the heart of man
                >
                > The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

              • jim mcgrath
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 22, 2013
                  I swear by Nology coils
                  > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: adjenkins@...
                  > Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:51:13 +0000
                  > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] acts like fuel starvation but i'm afraid it's ignition
                  >
                  > Ignition coils, almost a dead cert. If you replace them change all three
                  > and get Nology coils. Usually about £50 each.
                  >
                  > Andy.
                  > On 20 Feb 2013 00:56, "greg" <gjtoles2003@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > hi fellow triumph owners/riders, 99 tbs w/135k--have had motorcycles all
                  > > my like and this one is by far the best motorcycle i've ever owned. now
                  > > however, just yesterday in fact the thing developed a bad miss which it has
                  > > never missed a beat in it's life. has anybody had any experience with the
                  > > ignitor going out? will check out all the obvious stuff soon but looking at
                  > > some of the prices for ignition parts blows my mind. any feed back sure
                  > > would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much gt

                • winnwillinger
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
                    Ditto Nology...the Hot Wires are also awesome. You will think its a new bike.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Thanks! My address is:
                      Dave Davenport
                      1603 Manhattan Ave
                      Grover Beach, CA
                      93433
                      Let me know what it costs and I can send you a check.
                      Thanks again! My T-Bird just doesn't look right with that broken lamp,
                      but she still runs great:)

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
                        Cool, no problem. Don't worry about sending a check, I'm just trying to help a fellow Tbird rider :)
                        I'm going to email you pics to make sure its the correct one.

                      • rbthuffman@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013
                          I replaced my dead Gill igniter with one from these guys. $240 delivered, seems to work fine after 1000 miles. Read about it in the forums. I have a 2002 T-Bird.

                          http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

                          Also had to replace pickup sensor (had to use a used Gill for that), and coils (went with Nogoly). Can't believe Triumph uses Gill for anything.

                          Best of luck.

                        • MrInstall
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
                            FYI... I sent out the license plate light USPS Priority today. You should have it in 2-3 days.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
                              FYI... I sent out the ignitor and coils USPS Priority today. You should have it in 2-3 days. I hope this helps you out.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 4, 2013
                                I got the ignitor back today. Thanks

                                I'm glad everything worked out for you.

                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gjtoles2003@...> wrote:

                                > hi fellow triumph owners/riders, 99 tbs w/135k--have had motorcycles all my like and this one is by far the best motorcycle i've ever owned. now however, just yesterday in fact the thing developed a bad miss which it has never missed a beat in it's life. has anybody had any experience with the ignitor going out? will check out all the obvious stuff soon but looking at some of the prices for ignition parts blows my mind. any feed back sure would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much gt

                              • Bill Morrison
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                                  Way back in Feb there was a conversation about failing ignition appearing as fuel starvation and Nology coils were recommended as a fix/upgrade. Which ones? Bikebandit lists 2 different ones that would fit a 98 TBS. Plug and play I can handle, but beyond that electrickery may be beyond me.
                                  Any suggestions or clarification greatly appreciated.
                                  Thanks,
                                  Bill in Northern Westchester NY
                                • Todd A Luchette
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                                    From my invoice:

                                    Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles (Single Outlet) $69.99

                                    Hope that helps.

                                    Todd

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                                      Thanks Todd,
                                      Helps a lot. Now to place an order and get that bike back together before June gets away from me. Then I can take on the next bike's challenges. gotta have at least one on the road at all time.

                                      Bill

                                      > Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles (Single
                                      > Outlet)      $69.99
                                      >
                                      > Hope that helps.
                                      >
                                      > Todd
                                      >

                                      > On May 31, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Bill Morrison wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Way back in Feb there was a conversation about failing
                                      > ignition appearing as fuel starvation and Nology coils were
                                      > recommended as a fix/upgrade. Which ones? Bikebandit lists 2
                                      > different ones that would fit a 98 TBS. Plug and play I can
                                      > handle, but beyond that electrickery may be beyond me.
                                      > > Any suggestions or clarification greatly appreciated.
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Bill in Northern Westchester NY

                                      >     triumphthunderbirdsportriders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    • L WASDYKE
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                                        I can’t find my invoice but I found a warranty pamphlet from when I replaced my coils. I wrote the part number of 152 001 060T on the front.  I also was not sure which coils to order, I phoned Nology direct and they were happy to help.  Here are the phone numbers from their web page.
                                        Toll-free: 1-800-NOLOGY1 (665-6491)
                                        or: 760-591-0888
                                        Larry

                                        Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles (Single Outlet)      $69.99

                                        Hope that helps.

                                        Todd

                                        On May 31, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Bill Morrison wrote:

                                        > Way back in Feb there was a conversation about failing ignition appearing as fuel starvation and Nology coils were recommended as a fix/upgrade. Which ones? Bikebandit lists 2 different ones that would fit a 98 TBS. Plug and play I can handle, but beyond that electrickery may be beyond me.
                                        > Any suggestions or clarification greatly appreciated.
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Bill in Northern Westchester NY

                                      • Woody Sutherland
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 31, 2013
                                          On 5/31/13 1:57 PM, L WASDYKE wrote:
                                          > I can’t find my invoice but I found a warranty pamphlet from when I
                                          > replaced my coils. I wrote the part number of 152 001 060T on the
                                          > front. I also was not sure which coils to order, I phoned Nology direct
                                          > and they were happy to help. Here are the phone numbers from their web
                                          > page.
                                          > Toll-free: 1-800-NOLOGY1 (665-6491)
                                          > or: 760-591-0888
                                          > Larry

                                          Which models of Triumphs are known to have weak factory coils? Is this
                                          only for the triples? Is it both injected and carb engines?

                                          I've already replaced them on my '99 Thunderbird Sport, but am wondering
                                          if it's in my future should I acquire another Triumph (e.g. Tiger).

                                          thanks,
                                          Woody Sutherland
                                          San Diego
                                        • Robert
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 2, 2013
                                            Another Gill component known to fail is the Ignition Pickup Sensor; mine died at 30,000 miles. It fails when it gets hot, and comes back after five minutes; seems like a fuel issue but it's not. $75 for a new one, only Gill makes it I believe.