rear brakes

  • dustyyoung1950
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
      hey guys,I have a 99 tbs.The rear brakes are practicaly useless.'does anyone have this problem.I have a new rotor,pads,blew out and cleaned the whole system,replaced with new fluid.The pistons dont put even pressure on the pads.
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
        That sounds like you need to disassemble the rear caliper and give
        the pistons a really good cleaning. As well as clean the
        calipers.

        Did you use brake cleaner to clean the caliper really well? Brake
        dust can build up on the pistons and cause the symptom that you
        describe. Compressed air won't get it all, that's why I mentioned
        brake cleaner.

        Cheers,
        Denny

        On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 01:49:13 +0000, dustyyoung1950 digitized the
        following:

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
          I forgot to mention the pins that the Caliper rides on. those need
          a bit of brake grease. and if they are worn really bad they need to
          be replaced.

          Cheers,
          Denny

          On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 20:57:01 -0500, Denny digitized the following:

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
            Rear brakes? Be glad they don't grab.

            Sent from my iPad

            On Dec 3, 2012, at 8:57 PM, Denny <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

            > That sounds like you need to disassemble the rear caliper and give
            > the pistons a really good cleaning. As well as clean the
            > calipers.
            >
            > Did you use brake cleaner to clean the caliper really well? Brake
            > dust can build up on the pistons and cause the symptom that you
            > describe. Compressed air won't get it all, that's why I mentioned
            > brake cleaner.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Denny
            >
            > On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 01:49:13 +0000, dustyyoung1950 digitized the
            > following:
            > > hey guys,I have a 99 tbs.The rear brakes are practicaly
            > > useless.'does anyone have this problem.I have a new
            > > rotor,pads,blew out and cleaned the whole system,replaced with
            > > new fluid.The pistons dont put even pressure on the pads.

          • Gary Gavin
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
              As I remember the rear brake on the Classic line is weak in that it might
              not lock up the rear wheel which is actually not a bad thing. OTOH, the
              front brake is pretty darn good. I had a 2k Tiger and the rotors, calipers,
              pads and lines were the same as the TBS. The master cylinders were
              different. It could be that the master cylinder for the rear is just a
              little under powered. I've not worried about it, utilizing modern braking
              theory to rely on the front, which has more power in part from the transfer
              of weight, and only use the rear to assist the front or compress the
              suspension prior to a turn. With the Tiger I would apply a little rear
              first and then the front to keep the long travel suspension from diving
              forward too much.

              --
              Gare'
              sent from third stone from the sun

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                Yep. Fronts are great, rear is incredibly wooden. A functioning rear brake can break the rear wheel loose, albeit at a rather unpredictable pressure.

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Gary Gavin <gary.l.gavin@...> wrote:

                > As I remember the rear brake on the Classic line is weak in that it might
                > not lock up the rear wheel which is actually not a bad thing. OTOH, the
                > front brake is pretty darn good.
              • Wayne Baker
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                   Weird the one on my 98  works good.

                  ________________________________
                  Yep.  Fronts are great, rear is incredibly wooden.  A functioning rear brake can break the rear wheel loose, albeit at a rather unpredictable pressure.

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Gary Gavin <gary.l.gavin@...> wrote:

                  > As I remember the rear brake on the Classic line is weak in that it might
                  > not lock up the rear wheel which is actually not a bad thing. OTOH, the
                  > front brake is pretty darn good.

                • Yahoo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                    Rear brake are only useful for offroad and loose gravel or riding a hack otherwise on solid surfaces can make for a really bad day if your rear wheel breaks loose when you are hard braking. JMHO
                    Sent from my iPad

                    On Dec 3, 2012, at 11:31 PM, Wayne Baker <connorblk@...> wrote:

                    > Weird the one on my 98 works good.
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Dick Winningstad
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Mine is weak but that is good. Use the front brakes for most situations.

                      Yep. Fronts are great, rear is incredibly wooden. A functioning rear brake
                      can break the rear wheel loose, albeit at a rather unpredictable pressure.

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , Gary Gavin

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                        On all three "Classics" that I've had ('99 Legend, '99 TBS, and '00 TBS) the OEM rear brake had almost no feel to it at all. Replacing the stock pads with EBC FA196 HH helped quite a bit, but they were still nothing to write home about.

                        Just my $US0.02 on the topic.

                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Baker <connorblk@...> wrote:

                        >  Weird the one on my 98  works good.
                      • Peter T
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                          Agreed. My TBS rear is good mainly for feathering speed. You wouldn't want
                          That brake so touchy or powerful that I you had to panic stop it would lock up
                          And create a dangerous situation. Still worth ensuring its working properly but
                          Don't expect much from it. Fronts are great.

                          Pete

                          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:
                          > On all three "Classics" that I've had ('99 Legend, '99 TBS, and '00 TBS) the OEM rear brake had almost no feel to it at all. Replacing the stock pads with EBC FA196 HH helped quite a bit, but they were still nothing to write home about.
                          >
                          > Just my $US0.02 on the topic.
                          >

                          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Baker <connorblk@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >  Weird the one on my 98  works good.

                        • Dennis Young
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                            thanks guys.yeah I heard that the brakes shouldnt be too good for safety.But can tell the pads are not touching evenly.I cleaned the pistons.One was stuck and barely got it out.Yes I bled it good.Am wonder9ing about the caliber seals.dont think they are leaking tho.I bought the bike about 7 years ago.rear brakes always sucked.

                            Mine is weak but that is good. Use the front brakes for most situations.

                            Yep. Fronts are great, rear is incredibly wooden. A functioning rear brake
                            can break the rear wheel loose, albeit at a rather unpredictable pressure.

                            --- In mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com
                            <gary.l.gavin@...> wrote:

                            > As I remember the rear brake on the Classic line is weak in that it might
                            > not lock up the rear wheel which is actually not a bad thing. OTOH, the
                            > front brake is pretty darn good.

                          • Richard Fenner
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                              Dennis,

                              I've had two TBSes, both 98s. Both back brakes worked just fine, thank you, and would lock up the back wheel if not properly adjusted. Don't know what to suggest to help, unfortunately, as I never had a problem is the 7 years I owned them?

                              Best of luck sorting the issue!

                              Cheers,

                              Richard.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                                From the sounds of what's happening, I'd suggest a caliper rebuild. Does anybody know if there are any caliper rebuild kits out there for our brakes?

                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Young <dustyyoung1950@...> wrote:

                                > thanks guys.yeah I heard that the brakes shouldnt be too good for safety.But can tell the pads are not touching evenly.I cleaned the pistons.One was stuck and barely got it out.Yes I bled it good.Am wonder9ing about the caliber seals.dont think they are leaking tho.I bought the bike about 7 years ago.rear brakes always sucked.
                              • David Davenport
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                                  I have a 97 TB classic with 24K on the clock, and rear brake works fine. It will defintely lock up rear wheel if applied hard!

                                  Dave
                                  "The LORD is my shepherd;
                                  I shall not want."

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 5, 2012
                                    mine will lock up rear wheel also if applied hard.u have to almost stand on it tho.To much rear brake on this bike could cause it to swap ends,I heard.