oil leak

  • Woody Sutherland
    Message 1 of 13 , May 7, 2012
      I have a slow oil leak on the left side of my 1999 Thunderbird Sport,
      and I'm having a problem finding the source. There's a drop on the
      bottom of the alternator and then most of the left side of the engine is
      wet from there down. I imagine there is a seal behind the alternator. Is
      this a common problem? Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

      thanks,
      Woody Sutherland
      San Diego
    • Reichardt, Niles
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2012
        On May 7, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Woody Sutherland wrote:

        Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

        Have you drained the air box? That can often masquerade as a oil leak.

        Niles

      • Woody Sutherland
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2012
          Not sure what you mean by draining the air box. Obviously, I have not
          done it.

          thanks,
          Woody

          On 05/07/2012 09:09 AM, Reichardt, Niles wrote:

          > On May 7, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Woody Sutherland wrote:
          >
          > Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?
          >
          > Have you drained the air box? That can often masquerade as a oil leak.
          >
          > Niles

        • Reichardt, Niles
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2012
            On May 7, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Woody Sutherland wrote:

            Not sure what you mean by draining the air box. Obviously, I have not
            done it.

            Woody-
            The air-box is the black plastic thing behind the carburetors. It vents the crankcase and can collect oil. There is a black rubber tube that runs from the bottom of the air-box and hangs down under the frame in front of the rear tire. About 1� up there is a plug. If you work the plug out it will drain any oil out of the air-box, and that may solve your problem.

            Niles

          • Reichardt, Niles
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2012
              On May 7, 2012, at 9:30 AM, Reichardt, Niles wrote:

              About 1� up there is a plug

              That is supposed to be 1 inch. Apparently yahoo cant handle quote marks.

              Niles Reichardt, DVM
              Laboratory Information Systems Manager
              Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab
              (509) 335-2409
              nlr@...<http://tmed.wsu.edu>

            • Woody Sutherland
              Message 6 of 13 , May 7, 2012
                I understand now. I'll drain it tonight when I get home.

                thanks much,
                Woody

                On 05/07/2012 09:30 AM, Reichardt, Niles wrote:

                > On May 7, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Woody Sutherland wrote:
                >
                > Not sure what you mean by draining the air box. Obviously, I have not
                > done it.
                >

                > Woody-
                > The air-box is the black plastic thing behind the carburetors. It vents the crankcase and can collect oil. There is a black rubber tube that runs from the bottom of the air-box and hangs down under the frame in front of the rear tire. About 1” up there is a plug. If you work the plug out it will drain any oil out of the air-box, and that may solve your problem.
                >

                > Niles

              • stowcreek62
                Message 7 of 13 , May 10, 2012
                  Woody...
                  I have a 1996 Trophy (same engine)that had a small leak. I would see it on the exhaust pipe near the sidestand mount/alternator. It was the alternator 'O' ring which was the problem. Not a lot of oil, and more a nuisance than anything else. No more oil leak after replacing the "O" ring.
                  Glenn